Barrel feeder in tire

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8":2j2jimhz said:
M-5":2j2jimhz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2j2jimhz said:
I believe she's thinking of the barrel type feeder which was after all the topic of this thread to begin with.

so my signature line is correct
So you were thinking that a 'tub' filled with concrete is what they OP was talking about???? Geeze pull your head out... Note the title of the thread...............Barrel feeder in tire....Of course an open tub is going to collect water, der. The concrete filled feeder is a barrel.. Now get it?

maybe you should pull your head out or your azz cause you apparently cant read and comprehend at the same time on something you replied too.
cowgirl8":2j2jimhz said:
dogman11":2j2jimhz said:
We had a bunch of those blue plastic tubs from TSC that had fly control mineral in them at one time and all we did was pour some quikrete cement in them. Let them set up and then use. They're heavy enough that they don't travel far even though they're not permanently in place and if you need to move them then one person can load them in a pickup fairly easily. Works for us and the price was right since they we laying around.

Interesting....and no tire. Who would have thunk. Brilliant! so so much easier than adding a tire. Its like a weeble, they wobble but they dont fall down. Did you ever have any concrete break loose?

M-5":2ogjfqny said:
and again I will direct you to my signature line CG8
DOh.....i agree, who'd put concrete in a tub?? Probably why i did not comprehend...SO, maybe not a good idea...Has anyone put the concrete in a blue 'barrel'. i bet it would work...

I put the concrete inside the blue barrel. Easier and takes up less room in back of pick up. Sorry if I added to the confusion. Should have posted a pic...

bball":26yleg4e said:
I put the concrete inside the blue barrel. Easier and takes up less room in back of pick up. Sorry if I added to the confusion. Should have posted a pic...
Not too late. I want to see it. :pop:

I may need to see a pic------1. You cut the hole in the barrel. 2. You run something like rebar all the way through the bottom of the barrel, and maybe bend the ends. 3. You pour a sack of concrete in it. Cattle eat mineral off the top of the concrete?

bball":33u8crve said:
My next project for blue barrels...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09zu62Iq_ak

I saw some of those, that Jed made and copied them. They work good. I copied his exactly, and about every 4th barrel is turned the opposite way. Gives it some stability. They hear it coming a mile away to. Can't leave it in the field their in too long. They kill the grass around it meandering hoping something is in it.

This was a barrel I had hanging from a tree. Only thing I will change on the next one is to move the hole up about 3 more inches. There is 6 inches from bottom of hole to top of concrete.

Bigfoot":1dt97din said:
I may need to see a pic------1. You cut the hole in the barrel. 2. You run something like rebar all the way through the bottom of the barrel, and maybe bend the ends. 3. You pour a sack of concrete in it. Cattle eat mineral off the top of the concrete?

Exactly. Except I just ran some long 3/8" bolts through close to the bottom for anchoring.

Bigfoot":sodz8hul said:
bball":sodz8hul said:
My next project for blue barrels...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09zu62Iq_ak

I saw some of those, that Jed made and copied them. They work good. I copied his exactly, and about every 4th barrel is turned the opposite way. Gives it some stability. They hear it coming a mile away to. Can't leave it in the field their in too long. They kill the grass around it meandering hoping something is in it.

Yes sir. I'm very pleased with how mine turned out. Super cheap, portable feeder.

bball":edcne4il said:
TennesseeTuxedo":edcne4il said:
Man oh man, the things some people will put in their pastures.
:cboy:

I know it! Like RA cattle! ;-)

I don't have any yet but with a little luck after Saturday I just might. I won't ask these gals to eat mineral out of a bathtub though, they'll go to the big house and eat it out of a trough in the barn like civilized cattle. LOL!.

Ok, we don't get 60" of rain a year...I wished that were my problem to have. Ranch is in Nolan County about half way between Dallas and El Paso. Kinda known as west Texas. I did get a half inch of rain today, so I may have to drill some holes where the concrete is at the middle of the tub. We poured approximately four inches of quikrete in each tub. Still haven't had one turned over as of today. We feed mineral twice a week and split up a hundred pounds between the four tubs two times per week. The mineral was wet/damp, but I think it'll dry pretty quick. Like I said, we may have to drill some small holes around the edge if we actually get a turd floater;)
I'll try to attach two pics...don't shoot me if it doesn't work...probably my first pic to post on here.

TennesseeTuxedo":jlua32zo said:
dogman11":jlua32zo said:
bball":jlua32zo said:
I really like this idea! A couple questions: you using 1 80# bag of quickrete? With the weeble wooble effect, can a bull or rambunctious cow knock it around enough to slosh out some mineral? This is my one and only concern with the idea (else, I love it). The semi tire provides a virtually tip proof base. Thanks

We have 70 Angus cows and 3 Red Angus bulls. Been using 4 of these with about 25 pounds of mineral in each tub 2 times per week. Haven't had one get tipped over yet (3 will be dumped out on the ground tomorrow when I go feed now that I have written this...lol). Even when virtually empty, none have been turned over.

You could always attach some 2 inch pipe and bend up the ends to make runners to drag and to keep them from being tipped over.

This sounds like a slick system but I really want to hear more about your RA bulls on thes BA cows. Got any pics of your calves? I've been toying with doing the same thing. Thanks.

I'll take some pics this weekend. Was just there today, but didn't see this post until I got home. We did embryos on some of them. We had about 16 for sure take and 6 or 7 maybes when we did sonograms last month. This is our first time to do AI or embryos. I'll let ya know how I like it when I see the check for them next fall. Them embryos may come out rainbow colored, but don't care as long as we get paid what they have written in the contract...haha
The rest of the herd is bred to a low birthweight RA Brown Red Angus bull. I'll get u those pics this weekend. Some are black and some are that pretty RA red. Either way, they will have the RA tag in them and that's what our buyer wanted. They'll ship to Kansas sometime in late Oct or early Nov.

dogman11":1gqt363e said:
Ok, we don't get 60" of rain a year...I wished that were my problem to have. Ranch is in Nolan County about half way between Dallas and El Paso. Kinda known as west Texas. I did get a half inch of rain today, so I may have to drill some holes where the concrete is at the middle of the tub.
They don't call that area 'dryland farming' for nothing. In my youth, I spent lots of time right outside the little town of Nolan--2 uncles farmed there and one had a dairy, and was county precinct commissioner for a term or 2. Couldn't find the old home places today if I had to, but remember one was within sight of one of the Atlas ICBM sites outside Nolan.

The Highland school is on our ranch. Very familiar with the Nolan area as well. Good ppl there.

dogman11":44i1ssge said:
Ok, we don't get 60" of rain a year...I wished that were my problem to have. Ranch is in Nolan County about half way between Dallas and El Paso. Kinda known as west Texas. I did get a half inch of rain today, so I may have to drill some holes where the concrete is at the middle of the tub. We poured approximately four inches of quikrete in each tub. Still haven't had one turned over as of today. We feed mineral twice a week and split up a hundred pounds between the four tubs two times per week. The mineral was wet/damp, but I think it'll dry pretty quick. Like I said, we may have to drill some small holes around the edge if we actually get a turd floater;)
I'll try to attach two pics...don't shoot me if it doesn't work...probably my first pic to post on here.

I read blue, but misread and thought you were saying barrel... Nah, these arent what i was thinking, but it did open an idea that putting concrete in a barrel would in fact give the barrel a weeble effect... I saw some barrels at the feed store that had an odd shape. They were grey, bottom was smaller than the top and had no rim/ seam for the bottom. I may just try doing this to one of them. Fill bottom with concrete, maybe cut holes to add rebar or pvc pipe to criss cross the bottom so the concrete wont come out or slip... ..

Latest posts