Barrel feeder in tire

Help Support CattleToday:

Rgv3180

Reaction score
Thinking on trying a barrel mineral feeder in tire.
Any luck with these? Wouldn't have angle for rain like hanging, but looking for one I can drag for some rotational grazing. Couple fields just don't have good spots on any trees

We built one for every pasture. Find someone with old semi tires, you can usually get them for free. Then you can usually find a blue barrel for around 10 bucks. There are youtubes on how to cut the holes. Even though they look like they'd fill with water, they dont. Husband added bolts to hold tire to barrel.
We made the first ones to drag, but got tired of dragging them. They only cost 10 bucks and some time...so one goes in every pasture now.

Love them and will never buy a mineral feeder after making several of these. Has to be a real gully washer to get any water in them.

We made several a few years back. 60 ~ inches of rain from November-April here so had serious doubts. Placed the opening opposite of the prevailing direction of storms and was amazed that the contents remain dry. Pros: Effective even in inclement weather, inexpensive and simple to construct, easily accessible to all categories (sizes) of livestock and to date, proving to be very durable, easy to fill and if so desired, insecticide loaded "Bullets or Flyps" can easily be attached. Cons: If adding bolts to increase stability, drilling through the semi tires is a bit of a challenge and due to their weight, portability is compromised. That said, the pros far out weigh the cons. All things considered, beats the heck out of the $300-400 commercial versions hands down.

Don't drill the bolts through the tire. Put 4 bolts through the barrel so that they extend out into the inside of tire. Makes it tip proof,stable, and much easier than drilling through a tire.

bball":22jkk4hs said:
Don't drill the bolts through the tire. Put 4 bolts through the barrel so that they extend out into the inside of tire. Makes it tip proof,stable, and much easier than drilling through a tire.
Yes, exactly...........its how we did ours too.

I take the piece I cut out for the opening and bolt it on the top over hanging over the opening. Sort of a porch roof over the opening. It takes rain and a pretty good wind to get the minerals wet.

We hung one, i dont like it.. eventually it will kill the tree its hung to.. gets really muddy under it too. I like the tire one because you can move it easily so it doesnt get muddy around it

I have a few mobile units and a couple hanging in trees too. I hang them in the barn lots and smaller pieces where I can't effectively rotate.

We had a bunch of those blue plastic tubs from TSC that had fly control mineral in them at one time and all we did was pour some quikrete cement in them. Let them set up and then use. They're heavy enough that they don't travel far even though they're not permanently in place and if you need to move them then one person can load them in a pickup fairly easily. Works for us and the price was right since they we laying around.

dogman11":3gqbxy0h said:
We had a bunch of those blue plastic tubs from TSC that had fly control mineral in them at one time and all we did was pour some quikrete cement in them. Let them set up and then use. They're heavy enough that they don't travel far even though they're not permanently in place and if you need to move them then one person can load them in a pickup fairly easily. Works for us and the price was right since they we laying around.

Interesting....and no tire. Who would have thunk. Brilliant! so so much easier than adding a tire. Its like a weeble, they wobble but they dont fall down. Did you ever have any concrete break loose?

Latest posts