barbecue beef brisket

Help Support CattleToday:

Ribeye

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me how to barbecue a whole beef brisket. We are going to be barbecuing a whole hog tomorrow and would like to do a brisket also. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

Ribeye":3j82z10o said:
Could anyone tell me how to barbecue a whole beef brisket. We are going to be barbecuing a whole hog tomorrow and would like to do a brisket also. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

You don't really "bar-b-que" a brisket per se' You smoke it. It is nothing like chicken.

Put it on the smoker and take it to about 300 degrees and hold it there for around an hour. If you heat is even you are good. If it is not you may want to flip it over. Then gradually back it down to about 225 and try to hold that for at least 6 hours.

I usually wrap mine in foil after about three hours. It has had enough smoke by then. If it is fatty, I will continue to let the fat drip. If it looks like it might be a dry brisket, I seal it with the foil.

Good brisket is bad if you don't have good sauce. Bar-B-Que is all in the sauce. Pour your sauce on after you slice it or chop it. I just leave sliced brisket in the pan and folks take the brisket out and spoon in sauce.

Never use store bought sauce. It is not good, I don't care what brand you buy. Here is a decent basic recipe that works for just about everyone, including kids, at gatherings. Caution, if you use this recipe, DO NOT substitute butter with anything else or you'll have a mess.

Bar-B-Que Sauce

Ingredients:
3 ea. 8 oz cans tomato sauce
10 oz of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 lb butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tbl spoon vinegar
2 tbl spoon lemon juice
1/8 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoned pepper

Directions:
Combine ingredients in any order in medium size pot. Use sufficient heat to melt butter and brown sugar while stirring to mix ingedients well. After things are mixed allow it to simmer for 30 minutes. The longer you let it simmer, the better. 30 minutes is about the minimum. You can add a bit more brown sugar or honey at any point if you like it a bit sweeter.

Number Of Servings:enough sauce for two large briskets.

Preparation Time:45 minutes but I simmer on the side of the smoker for hours stirring occasionally.

ribeye- here's what i do. i get my briskets untrimmed (or not close trimmed) and trim off the cover fat myself. mix up season salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika, and rub onto meat all over. after it is coated good i pat on a thin layer of brown sugar. set in roasting pan (without rack) and place the cover fat i removed earlier over the top of the meat. cover the pan and put in oven at 250 deg. for about 7 hours. i usually put in just before i go to bed and take out when i wake up. when i take out of oven, i throw away whats left of the cover fat and remove brisket from juices, and allow to cool. once cooled i slice it, place meat in a 9X13 pan(s), and take some of the juices and pour over the top.
cover with foil. it's good to eat just like this, or you can bar-b-q sauce it and heat up, or put it in a smoker for about 15-20 minutes if you prefer and keep b-b-q sauce off to the side.

there are many good ways to prepare brisket, but i fix mine this way because i have never had one fail to be good, and i don't own a good smoker to cook in. when i do smoke meat i put it in my hardy stove. :lol2: sounds crude but man it'll put the smoke flavor in real quick.

ROB

If you are hanging around a smoker all day with friends, put a chopped onion, and chopped garlic, and a chopped pepper in one of those little foil bread pans. Fill it with water and keep a jug of water by the smoker. Each time you open the lid, add water to that pan. The steam will steep into the meat and give it a decent flavor without being over powering. The best thing is the aroma coming out of that smoker. It will make everyone hungry.

MAN! it's working for me :nod: Sounds like good stuff 8) gonna give it a try. :D :D

Well we have it under way looking pretty good too.
100_1097.JPG
100_1101.JPG

Ribeye":3eyioxie said:
Well we have it under way looking pretty good too

Let us know how it goes!

Memorial Day is coming and we'll be doing a lot of it. If you have any "discoveries" we'd appreciate the feedback :lol:

Backhoe, I ended up going with your recipe(no offense to the rest of you and thanks for those also I'm sure I will get around to testing them too.)I haven't gotten to eat any of the brisket yet but let you know how it is. On another note while I was smothering the brisket in your recipe I did about half the chickens that we where cooking too. The ones that had your recipe said it was the best they had ever had so your recipe is a hit in TN too.

Ya'll work too hard.

Don't trim anything. Stick it in a slow cooker or broiler on low with coca cola, Heinz chili sauce, onion soup mix, and salt. Cook it long and slow. DONE

Ribeye":ges8efyk said:
The ones that had your recipe said it was the best they had ever had so your recipe is a hit in TN too.

That one works really well for a group. Children really seem to like bar-b-que after having it.

But I do indeed have a question now, How in the heck do you cook all that without sampling?

I have been feeding out some hogs. We will smoke two over the Memorial Day weekend camp out. The hardest thing for me is keeping the lid shut on the smoker. Everyone wants to peek and pinch a sample. When the lid comes up, there goes the heat!!

Backhoe, just got to thinking about you and your cookout this weekend hope everything goes well.
My mother said to be sure and thank you for that recipe if you noticed in that one pic we put it on half the chicken the other half we didn't well I don't even like yard bird but that was good. The only thing I would like to do is heat it up a little but not sure what to put in it.

Knersie, as soon as I get a chance I will get some more pics for ya.

Latest posts