banding questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoofs and Horns":1s14q3xl said:
greatgerts":1s14q3xl said:
Hoofs and Horns":1s14q3xl said:
well if ya really want to make some money on your steers just do like we do and when ya band em push one of their nuts back up in their belly and it gives ya some added growth and them thar boys at the yards can't tell they ain't steers
is just like givin them suckers an implant and ya can still sell em as ALL natural cause they really are just minus one nut
we been doing it for yrs and works for us

Well, I know that most of the folks on here are truthful, and of course that statement is so far from being truthful with customers. Why would you do that? If they do not know, those calves can still breed heifers, and in the end, it causes many problems for the feedyard. I guess you sell all of your "steers" (if you want to call them that) that way? Where do you take them?
We usually sendsem up to Canada thems buyer up there will buy anything and we always gets top dollar cause sometimes we even dye em black rights before we sell em so we's gets us a premyum for them thar black hides
used to use stove black but yas gots to watch if the weathers wet cause it runs so nows we gets us sometype of nuclear waste oil from a power plants stuff don't wash off and will soak plum thru the hide and tehn they really are black hided , sure don't wont to gets it on your skin tho cause it will geev ya some weird side efecks for week, last time manual got some on heem his pee turn green and glowed in the dark for a couple a days , we curedheem tho we's gave him a coupel doses of Naxcel cc per dose and then some baytril 100 a single dose of 8cc and he cleared rightup altho he does have a few spasms now and then

I'm calling 100% BS on this one!

feedtroll.gif

Angus Cowman":1c3azz3j said:
Red Bull Breeder":1c3azz3j said:
I kinda thought he was full of bullshi$$, but was sure enough cheap entertainment.
Ya but RBS (oops RBB)what member on here ain't full of BS some of the time

Some of the time is fine. Usually fun.

Most of the time gets to be an issue.

All of the time gets annoying - not to be naming names or anything but I think you all know who I am referring to :D

larryshoat":lwec8b0v said:
Yeah I've cut a bunch of those one nut wonders and I say the whole time I'm doing it " I'd like to get my hands on the guy that did this".

Larry
Was tried around here years ago and didn't last long---Word travels quickly !! :)

Hoofs and Horns":23rbphpr said:
well if ya really want to make some money on your steers just do like we do and when ya band em push one of their nuts back up in their belly and it gives ya some added growth and them thar boys at the yards can't tell they ain't steers
is just like givin them suckers an implant and ya can still sell em as ALL natural cause they really are just minus one nut

Just some friendly advice.Joking or not, you might want to be careful admiting that you are a crook. Most people wouldn't even think of this. Especially if the buyer in your area find out who you are. Even a joke can have bad side effects.
Word gets out and no one will ever trust you again. There is a reason they want CASTRATED STEERS. NOT BULLS. One nut still makes it able to breed. Which in turn still makes it a bull. You are costing feedlot guys a butt load of money.
So if you were joking. Not very funny. I would think you aren't. Just turned into a joke when you got critisized.

Still like pinching ( Burdizzo- 2 cuts/nut ) no blood , no flies ( and no belly nuts ).
Doesn't seem to set them back at all either.

It makes even more sense now that we are retaining our calves to take to at least 900 lbs.

But for the most part, what BHB says about banding at birth ( usually next day ) is what happens when we catch them that young.

Hoofs and Horns":ys6mle4z said:

It is unethical cattleman like you that give the industry a bad name. Shame on you.

Hoofs and Horns":328hevre said:
And this is one of the reasons knife cut is preferred by the feedlots.

I usually try to band when they are a day old or maybe two at the most. A couple of years ago I tried to band one that was a couple of weeks old in the field with a very concerned and vocal mother cow trying to get in the truck bed with me. I accidently missed one of the goodies but was so exhausted let him go thinking I would get him in the corral the next day and do it right. Never was able to get him in until I sold him. While we were weighing them I told the buyer the story and assured him I wouldn't let it happen again. He was looking over my shoulder grinning. When I turned around the little "steer" was mounted on a heifer, he sure didn't act or look like a steer at that moment. I am sure glad I was upfront with him!!

Hoofs and Horns, why do you have to be such an A$$? By conducting business like that you not only create problems for people farther down the line, you diminish the "honest hard-working" image the rest of us and our families have worked so hard to uphold. Do us all a favor and find a differant line of work.

We band at birth now. We used to band at branding time. We gained a few more pounds by waiting until branding time, but we felt the time and stress to the animal wasn't worth it. We never tested it, but our thoughts are that we loose what we gained (lbs) by banding at branding because of the discomfort we cause the calves. It is not much mind you. Most likely it is a wash, in our opinion, so we just do what is easier. Also, the buyers seem to like the steers that were banded at birth. They don't look as bullish. I wouldn't waste time cutting the sack off after banding. There is no need and it just adds to the stress load running them through again. We found that we loose a couple days of gain for each time they go through the chute so we try to avoid working them unnecessarily. Stress lbs add up quickly off your bottom line.

When I band a bull that hasn't turned out, I'll band about 600 lbs. I don't cut the sack off but I don't run them to the sale barn right away either - I just wait till the sack dries up and falls off then send them on their way.

Latest posts