banding or cutting

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky1

Reaction score
Hope to see what u guys think. which is better and how long does it take for banded to fall off and how long for cutting to heal? dont know which way to go

Do what you feel most comfortable with.

Personally, I prefer to band them. Only takes a minute when they are newborn, and they don't seem to feel any major discomfort. Plus, you don't have and open wound that can get infected. We lost 1 calf due to castration (when we used to cut them) and had one other get badly infected. So far we have never lost one that was banded, and never had one get a bad infection either.

As long as you can count to 2 you can band, just make sure mama can't get at you.

As for the length of time for them to fall off, it depends somewhat on the size of the calf. The bigger they are the longer (in general) they take. But the longest I have seen was about a month. Young calves will take around 2 weeks.

Healing from being cut, probably about 2-3 weeks to heal completely.

The longest debate of all time to cut or not to cut that is the question ? I buy primaraly bull calves from the market around 100 or so a month I castrate (cut) all of them I have lost 1 calf that I can say was due to castration and that calf bleed to death the night after I cut him I've never seen it before or since I can't understand what happened but it did. last year I had one that had castration trauma I opened the wound back up for more drainage and the calf was fine in a day or so. Now for banding and this year has been worst than ever STAGS STAGS and more STAGS... Like I said before I normally buy bull calves around 400# but time to time I will get 20 or 30 steers in and I bet there is 1 for every 10 that is a stag I don't understand if the testical is slipping through or if the rancher can't count to 2 but either way there is still one left. I think most vets will tell you to cut not band due stress and I think he is right in a week or two they are scabed over but in a week or two with a band you have a swollen scrutum that hurts every time he moves.

sparky1":2tkmr55p said:
Hope to see what u guys think. which is better and how long does it take for banded to fall off and how long for cutting to heal? dont know which way to go

Assuming these are calves that are less than 6 months old, I would go with whichever I felt the most comfortable with. We've banded and we've knife castrated - which method we used was determined by whether we had any Rocky Mountain Oysters (the original sac lunch) aficionados among the help. Older than 6 months, a little care needs to be taken because banding at that age tends to knock them off feed for a while, and knife cutting presents the potential for the calf bleeding to death if you're not careful.

If you want a 100% job use the knife. The buyers prefer the knife. Remember it never gets too hot to cut a bore never too cold to cut a bull. In the summer I will use the bands, but they should all be castrated by summer. I have lost one calf using the knife, it was my fault. We had this big calf in the corral he was trying to run every one out. We was going to show him who was boss did not do the job correct. He died.

hillrancher":2bez9aln said:
If you want a 100% job use the knife.

Oh, so banding only removes 98% of the testicles? Or is it less than that? Regardless of which way one chooses to go, they have to be able to count to 2 - period. Give me a break on the 100% crap.

The buyers prefer the knife.

Maybe that is true in your area, but it is not true for all areas. We've banded for years and never been docked at the salebarn, nor have we had a problem selling our steers. Please don't state it like it was fact in all areas of the country. :roll:

Count to 2--that means 2 in the bucket, for me.

Simple question, if you were going to have this done to your self....would you like them removed or have would you like to have them banded so they can rot off.

Everyone who bands says they have no trouble and that they can count.

Every one hear who buys cattle that have been banded says that they have trouble, and alot of people can't count.

If you are in the cow business and don't know how to cut a calf correctly you better learn.

We pull them out. Cut the sack strip back the fat and pull untill they come out. Cut the strings and any fat. Bleeding is nill and we count to 2, in the bucket.

msscamp":11vinh3j said:
hillrancher":11vinh3j said:
If you want a 100% job use the knife.

Oh, so banding only removes 98% of the testicles? Or is it less than that? Regardless of which way one chooses to go, they have to be able to count to 2 - period. Give me a break on the 100% crap.

The buyers prefer the knife.

Maybe that is true in your area, but it is not true for all areas. We've banded for years and never been docked at the salebarn, nor have we had a problem selling our steers. Please don't state it like it was fact in all areas of the country. :roll:
Hate to tell you msscamp but a 52,000# draft of 500# knife cut steers will be more sought after than a 52,000# draft of 500# banded steers anywhere and everywhere in this country - period. They are perfered by the buyers. Buyers who buy large numbers of cattle. Not mom and pop hobby farm buyers at auctions buying 10 or 20 head. You have never seen a discount because you never have seen a premium either. No premium is the discount. I sit at auctions almost everyday this time of year. I see the trends, I see the discounts or shall I say the loss of premiums. Real buyers perfer knife cut mom and pop hobby people don't care because a poor banding job has yet to ever effect their bottom line. Ask any buyers of banded steers what the discount is for bullocks at slaughter selling live and also ask them what implications bullocks have on grid payments in regards to grades. Very few will know the answer to either question. Why is that? Same reason they don't mind buying banded steers. Because it doesn't matter to them.

I think banding calves under 400 lbs. is O.K.. I use a Tri-Bander on every size,from babies- 400 lbs.. Banded 225 one year,200-300 pounders,never had a single problem and the calves never missed a lick. I have knife cut several hundred more,and never had many problems.
They just don't loose as much ground when they are banded. I think the key is not to let them get to big.
You also need to make sure they get a Tetnus shot when you do them,before is better.

We have had problems with banding ~ even counting to 2. From now on its cutting only. somn is right ~ dock at sale for banded calves.

I prefer to cut them. If for no other reason, Ma ain't gonna get me from behind when I got Jr. in the chute.

hillrancher":3h8knxi7 said:
If you want a 100% job use the knife. The buyers prefer the knife. Remember it never gets too hot to cut a bore never too cold to cut a bull. In the summer I will use the bands, but they should all be castrated by summer. I have lost one calf using the knife, it was my fault. We had this big calf in the corral he was trying to run every one out. We was going to show him who was boss did not do the job correct. He died.

I love how you speak for all cattle buyers in the country. :roll:

And just how many buyers do you think can tell within seconds from their ringside seat cut or banded? Give me a break.

I band; with every newborn I bulldog it to the ground, tag and band if it's a bull.

I think it is just more of a personal preference thing, which is fine by me. Just please don't start spouting off about supposed facts to justify not banding. Show me some facts and then I'll start back to cutting like I used to do with my dad. Sheesh! :mad:

cypressfarms":140qdeyb said:
And just how many buyers do you think can tell within seconds from their ringside seat cut or banded? Give me a break.
At a real auction when they run 52,000# of 5 weights thru the ring they will announce owners name, address, whether they are cut or banded along with all vaccinations, weaning date, still green or not, bunk broke or not. Almost every bit of information a person would want. If your auction yard doesn't announce that information I would find a better sale yard. But then again it probably isn't worth wasting the time doing it for only 20 head especially when the buyer doesn't care anyway.

I don't buy many steers a year, and I don't have a whole lot of my own born either.

If they are bought, I will only buy "knife cut" and at weaning, mine are "knife cut".

Michele

sparky1":2ohqb2nt said:

I cut. Just from a personal perspective, (even though I am not male) I think I would prefer a quick cut and over with to packing a rubberband around my scrotum for several weeks. :eek:

hayray":35yzhguo said:
Is it obvious if you have a stag or can you tell?

Usually you can tell by the time they are weaned and for sure before they are yearlings.. They start to look bullish, get the cresty neck and so on.

We band, preferably at a day old. Banding works best for me.

One of the fall calves had to be cut. Testicles were up in the stomach and wouldn't come down. No problem. It was the first cut in a long time. Hopefully the last (but you know it won't be). Wasn't really prepared for it and it took longer than it should have. Luckily I had everything with me.

somn":zmjhb3eo said:
cypressfarms":zmjhb3eo said:
At a real auction when they run 52,000# of 5 weights thru the ring they will announce owners name, address, whether they are cut or banded along with all vaccinations, weaning date, still green or not, bunk broke or not. Almost every bit of information a person would want. If your auction yard doesn't announce that information I would find a better sale yard. But then again it probably isn't worth wasting the time doing it for only 20 head especially when the buyer doesn't care anyway.

Somn,
I have no idea who you are, and that's proabbly for the best. Cut the bs with your 52,000# of 5 weights. Does it make you feel good to spout off lingo like that? My sale yard is fine - don't assume there is anything wrong with my sales plan or avenue of sales. I never said that I had only 20 head, and it really doesn't make a difference how many head I (or any other member) has. I cannot stand holier than though people like you seem to be . We've had many people here on the board that TALK great games... You need to check and see exactly how many small farmers there are in this country. They are the backbone of the cattle market.

Now - show me some FACTS where cut steers bring more than banded. I'm giving you an out. I may not like your approach at all, but I am always willing to learn. Learn me, great wise one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts