Banding or Cutting Part 2

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Previous thread locked. I thought it important enough to get info out to cattlemen who may want to know.

My first reaction to the post by "Somn" was to start slinging mud. Cooler heads prevail, and you never know when something can be learned. I did take Somn up on the offer to call Ft. Pierre Livestock and Presho Livestock in South Dakota, along with other auctions in Texas, Nebraska and Oklahoma.

I did do more research on the topic (before calling any auctions) and found out that (at weaning) banded calves normally weigh 20 lbs heavier than those cut. The main reason is that when cut, a calf does not gain weight for 7 to 10 days. With banding there is no weight gain "loss". This article was found in beefmagazine.com Once weaned, and heavy feeding starts, this difference appears to be made up by the "cut" calves.

On to the auctions - I talked to Mr. Dennis Hanson at Ft. Pierre Livestock in South Dakota this morning. Real nice guy. He told me that his customers prefer cut calves - from the standpoint that they do not have to worry about "stags". This preference does not translate to a price difference, however. There is no premium for cut calves, and no discount for banded.

I also talked to Mr. Cody Volmer at Presho Livestock in South Dakota. He echoed Mr. Hanson's thoughts but added "banded calves do not come into the ring discounted $2". Mr. Volmer's customers also seem to prefer cut vs. banded from the same standpoint of not having to worry about stags. Mr. Volmer also stated there was no price difference between cut and banded calves. He also added that a seller's reputation is important and if a seller did a poor job of banding (with stags resulting), then the next year his customers would be less likely to buy from the seller - or discount his/her calves.

These are extremely large operations where thousands of head of cattle pass through on a regular basis.

The same sentiment was heard from other auction yards as well. Big or small, they all seemed to say that buyers prefer cut from a comfort point of view (Not having to worry about stags). I did not find one auction yard that said that banded calves were discounted. NONE. I did find some research that shows banded calves could outweigh cut calves; which surprised me.

So there we have it - cut or banded - it doesn't seem to translate into a price difference. It all seems to boil down to a comfort factor for feedyards, but not so much comfort to affect price.

As to Somn's personal remarks - thanks for giving me Ft. Pierre and Presho's names. They seem to be real good people, and it was nice to talk to them - Cody asked me questions about calving in Louisiana and Dennis joked with me about LSU winning the National Championship. When you look for the good, it sure does make the day nicer.

Amazing how sharing information or having a civil discussion can get more sharing and helpful information flowing instead of the personal insults isn't it? Thanks Cypress. :clap:

CK....ain't it so :clap: Heck I don't know of a sale close by me that ever runs even 500 lb. steers for a man to pick up a pot load so I don't think the question of cutting or banding is really a big thing. And don't get upset with Mr. Somn. He has a way of getting under your skin sometimes and has rubbed me the wrong way more than once but we agree on a lot as well so you just gotta have a tough skin and let him think he's always winning. ;-) I'm sure he's a great guy and knows a lot about cattle. Just wish he could learn to express himself a bit better without always being so abrasive.

TexasBred":qjzf48xn said:
CK....ain't it so :clap: Heck I don't know of a sale close by me that ever runs even 500 lb. steers for a man to pick up a pot load so I don't think the question of cutting or banding is really a big thing. And don't get upset with Mr. Somn. He has a way of getting under your skin sometimes and has rubbed me the wrong way more than once but we agree on a lot as well so you just gotta have a tough skin and let him think he's always winning. ;-) I'm sure he's a great guy and knows a lot about cattle. Just wish he could learn to express himself a bit better without always being so abrasive.

Agreed! I guess that is what was trying to say but you articulated much better. I really don't think there is a need for personal attacks and mean spirited insults.

Sorry guys.... i just had to say something when he started running some of these good peoples operations into the ground. Big or small operation, we are all in it for the same reasons. Guess I have to learn to keep my mouth shut. Im with you guys, confrintation can be be settled in a civil manner. Once again great post!

hgfarmer":3f7locq9 said:
Sorry guys.... i just had to say something when he started running some of these good peoples operations into the ground. Big or small operation, we are all in it for the same reasons. Guess I have to learn to keep my mouth shut. Im with you guys, confrintation can be be settled in a civil manner. Once again great post!

No need to apologize, you did nothing wrong. I'm glad I took time to think about it and call the stockyards he said. Made me feel much better. I'm actually hoping that he will come back and join the post here. Every person on this earth can learn something.

cypressfarms":1eftuwg0 said:
hgfarmer":1eftuwg0 said:

No need to apologize, you did nothing wrong. I'm glad I took time to think about it and call the stockyards he said. Made me feel much better. I'm actually hoping that he will come back and join the post here. Every person on this earth can learn something.

I haven't read anything here that Somn didn't state earlier. He never claimed a official discount.

If an item is prefered over another as stated by the owners it will fetch more wouldn't you say?

A buddy up the road ships those 52000# weights. We will as soon as we get over year round calving. He always beats us.

hg threw the first rock as I saw it.

Take care.

Wewild":1cplbps8 said:
cypressfarms":1cplbps8 said:
hgfarmer":1cplbps8 said:

I haven't read anything here that Somn didn't state earlier. He never claimed a official discount.

If an item is prefered over another as stated by the owners it will fetch more wouldn't you say?

A buddy up the road ships those 52000# weights. We will as soon as we get over year round calving. He always beats us.

hg threw the first rock as I saw it.

Take care.
I agree, somn didn't start the name calling. Any holstein calf contract I've ever seen specified that the calves be knife cut. That being said if you have a sharp load of calves it's usually not a deal breaker if they've been banded.

Larry

"No premium is the discount. I sit at auctions almost everyday this time of year. I see the trends, I see the discounts or shall I say the loss of premiums."

Above was a quote from Somn directed torward Msscamp. This is factually incorrect. According to Somn's provided auction yards - there is no premium for cut calves, and no discount for banded calves.

No stones necessary.

cypressfarms":11p725s0 said:
"No premium is the discount. I sit at auctions almost everyday this time of year. I see the trends, I see the discounts or shall I say the loss of premiums."

Above was a quote from Somn directed torward Msscamp. This is factually incorrect. According to Somn's provided auction yards - there is no premium for cut calves, and no discount for banded calves.

No stones necessary.

I'd say your wrong. A premium for prefered .... a discount for the other. That is the way life is.

Take care.

cypressfarms":gehltef6 said:

No stones necessary.
100 buyers all perfer knife cut each buyer wants 1 calf. 100 calves for sale 50 banded 50 knife cut. Guess what. Their prefrence will cost them extra if they want knife cut. Frank doesn't consider $.50 cwt a discount I do.

Cut or band I don't care what you do but you had dammed well better know how the HE double Hockey sticks how to count to two.If you can't then leave the balls on and let someone who knows what the h*ll they are doing complete the job :mad: .

Come on guys. Let's not mess around and get this thread locked up too by being obstinate. Never seen anybody who thought they lost an arguement on a message board so nobody's accomplishing anything. Doubt anybody will change their method of operation either so to each his own. At least by contacting those auction sales we at least know what they want or think their buyers want.

well stated texas bred. i dont think somn meant to insult anyone at first. he was simply stating a point of view from a large operation. and all personal opinions aside it makes sense. if you were buying in that large of quantity and investment on steers, wouldnt you want to be real sure the were steers? i would, he never said banding was bad, but rather stated his preference if he were to be buying the cattle. i think that is what makes this board so helpful, and whether you like the way somn comes across or not really doesnt matter. this board is for information and somn brings a lot to the table in that department. if ya dont like his advice dont take it , but a least he was nice enough to offer his opinion to try to help someone out.

Very interesting posting. I believe it is a good read.
Dang Hillsdown, you sounded a little ticked there. :D I do agree with you though, as I stated on the last posting we band at 8-24 hours old. If we do not count 2 nuts there, we mark the calve and recheck at branding. If there are two then they are banded, if not we wait til fall and check again. We let the vet band them then.
Even if the buyers do not like the banding, I can start naming you a bunch of butchers who do like the banding.

i never even thought of butchers. why would the butcher preferr banding? i do band my calves just for the record, and being the first calves i have ever had i found it real easy and simple but i could see how one could be missed if in a hurry and not paying attention. or maybe just not real smart!! i just didnt have the guts to cut them!!

The ones I have talked to, we asked them. Do you prefer banded steers? Or bloodless castrated steers? Or cut steers?
They all liked banded. Why? It is easier in the buthchering to make a nice straight cut from the anus to the brisket, then to have to make a jog to the left or right to avoid a scrotum or scar tissue. Our butcher always mentions to use how he likes to come butcher our steers because of that.

Latest posts