Banding Limi Flex Nuts

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I banded a bunch of May/June bulls yesterday. I have never stood behind such wide calm animals before. I wonder how they will do at the sales barn. I have also never seem such consitently small nuts. :shock: Usually I have trouble getting the big band over angus nuts in a cold fall day but there was no problem with these.

They will sell really good I am sure. Mine always do. Are they Limousin sired or out of Limousin cows? Just like in other breeds some bulls tend to produce calves with smaller testicles. The Limousin breed has progressed forward from that but there are still a few bloodlines that I do not use because of it. Also whatever is on the other side of the pedigree must not appear to be helping out on testicle size either. Good luck with them.

Circle H Ranch

Had 2 bigger pairs but the rest were small. Part of it is the large size of the calves.
The place I bought bulls from is really focused on docility. The Limi bulls handled like Herfs, and I only had handling issues with 2 calves.

As mentioned, that was a major problem for the breed. They actually had a "breeders' guidebook" recommending not to keep anything a bull unless he had 34cm or larger testicle size at yearling. They explained that there were way too many yearling heifers that were not getting bred & being culled. Small testicle bulls produce low/late fertility females.
The breed has a SC EPD, so progressive breeders have been improving that problem - along with a docility EPD - improving their temperaments.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3470gwv8 said:
As mentioned, that was a major problem for the breed. They actually had a "breeders' guidebook" recommending not to keep anything a bull unless he had 34cm or larger testicle size at yearling. They explained that there were way too many yearling heifers that were not getting bred & being culled. Small testicle bulls produce low/late fertility females.

Any related experience with limi flex heifers?

SS - I've never bred any Limi's - strickly Simmies - but I was on the NY Bull committee for as long as we had a bull test. We had a min. SC of 32cm to pass the test. The Limi representative argued that the Limi breed couldn't pass that req. and wanted to change the req. for Limi's to 30cm. I contacted the Nat'l breed assn. and they were very much against that & sent me their Breeder's Guideline to use in our meeting to argue against the breeders request.
Angus breed (a component of LimFlex) has never had a "breed" problem with SC size - but, all breeds have individuals that don't qualify as standard. So, any breed or any mixture of breeds can have a problem & SC size of sires should ALWAYS be a concern to a reputable breeder.

Your limi Rrepesentative must have been a pretty sorry breeder not to be able to hit 32cm SC. I never have a problem with my bulls reaching 32Cm at yearling. And i raise fullbloods. Have a long time friend and limi breeder whose yearling bulls measure 38 to 40 Cm at yearling.Some folks just raise cows without any attention to detail. Limousin may never have the largest Scrotal meassurments. But yearlings with a 32cm is easy.

I agree, that Limi rep must have had a problem, because 32 isnt a hard number to reach with yearlings. Both my Limi bulls had at least a 36 by the time they were yearlings.

Mike i know there are some bulls that have been used in the past that were pretty bad. Just like the crazy ones its the breeders fault for using that junk. Never used alot of bulls because of small scrotals and no brains.

I sell to a registered lim guy and I go back and look at the calves with him so we make sure we're on the right track. The little nuts don't stay on for very long. :lol:
My biggest problem with the breed has been dispostion as I had a few that were nuts to the point where they left calves and never came back to them but I don't think that those were representative of the breed as a whole anymore... Instead I'm concerned that they will go to far and make lims so docile that they won't go out and work.

I keep some old bulls in the tank just in case i need to warm mine up a little CP. But i have used some old bulls to gain docitilty. Like most breeds some bloodlines are better than others.

You have to realize that I'm talking 15 years ago. Lots have been improved since that time. Many limos at that time (from diff. breeders) failed repro because of SC size. That's why the Nat'l assn was so concerned with the problem.

Stocker Steve":3nusl72e said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3nusl72e said:

Some of my best heifers have been limflex.. Its actually what I prefer..putting my fullblood Limi bulls on my RA cows.. get some dandy heifers and bulls.
Both my bulls are very docile, and easy breeders. Now I must admit, that a few of the offspring steers from the Limi/Beefmaster cross cows, have gotten a little wild when we load em up. But, that has also been few and far between.

Limomike":3ur703s9 said:
Stocker Steve":3ur703s9 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ur703s9 said:

Some of my best heifers have been limflex.. Its actually what I prefer..putting my fullblood Limi bulls on my RA cows.. get some dandy heifers and bulls.
Both my bulls are very docile, and easy breeders. Now I must admit, that a few of the offspring steers from the Limi/Beefmaster cross cows, have gotten a little wild when we load em up. But, that has also been few and far between.

Would love to see some red limi X RA cows... I bet those are some sharp looking mommas!

SSGen, I will try to get some taken and posted on here, although, my Limi bulls are black. One is homo black, but my older one is not. So, I got both.

Red Bull Breeder":u46ls6ty said:
It rough working them crazy limi's Steve. Glad they have turned out gentle and thick for you.

I had some dog gentle ones that did not want to hit the head gate and I don't like hot shots - - so I went in and Calibrated them standing loose in the chute. :cboy: