Banding Castration?

Help Support CattleToday:

ivan.strilk

Reaction score
OK, the other day i tried to band two 1 week old calves. but i couldn't tell if i got both. i couldn't feel two. When do they drop ? how do you tell if you got both?

In my experience they usual drop with in a week. I have had some that only dropped one. You should be able to feel both of them. If not then you only have one or none.

Uh oh.

If you can't feel two, you're out of luck with the ones you banded.

Occasionally I get one that has retained jewels. Have to cut them. 98% get banded within a day or two and there is never a doubt about getting two.

It's pretty common for those young calves nuts to slip back up inside the body when you try to band them. If you reach above the band before you apply it and kind of run/squeeze (hard to explain) you will feel the nuts up inside. Just work them down inside the band and put the band on. Feel for 2 in the sack, if they aren;t both there, cut the band and start over.

While playing around with them they will be pulling them up. Give them a rest for a minute or 2 then try again. I place my left hand up high with scrotum between thumb and index finger firmly to block them off from being pulled up, then feel for 2 testicles with right hand and only after 2 are confirmed would I put the band on.

Personally I have never been good at banding calves, for myself I can cut calves faster than I can band. My hands are big and there just never seems to be enough room for my hands, a bander, and his nuts. I knife cut calves at 4 weeks of age, but I'm talking about doing a hundred in one day, for calves on pasture it's nice to band the first few days and have it over with, but of all the people I know that band in the pasture they always seem to let a few get by.

Larry

Latest posts