banamine - why IV only?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I noticed the injectable form of banamine has to go IV in cattle. Why is it that it has to be given IV? any particular reason?

I've never given it IV before. The vet told me it inject IM in the neck. Seems to always work that way.

Maybe it's a specially labeled product that you have Milkmaid.. we've always used it IM, as the bottle indicates. :roll:

I am also currently giving Banamine to a calf- but giving it IM per the vets instruction. It is true that it can be given more ways than just IV.

From the label of three different solutions of "flunixin meglumine" aka banamine...(emphasis added)...

BANAMINE®
Rx
Schering-Plough

(FLUNIXIN MEGLUMINE)

Injectable Solution

50 mg/mL

Veterinary

For Intravenous or Intramuscular Use in Horses and for Intravenous Use in Beef and Dairy Cattle. Not for Use in Dry Dairy Cows and Veal Calves.

NADA #101-479, Approved by FDA.

CAUTION Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.

and

FLUNIXAMINE™

Rx

Fort Dodge

FLUNIXIN MEGLUMINE INJECTION

50 mg/mL

FOR INTRAVENOUS OR INTRAMUSCULAR USE IN HORSES AND FOR INTRAVENOUS USE IN BEEF AND NONLACTATING DAIRY CATTLE ONLY. NOT FOR USE IN LACTATING AND DRY DAIRY COWS. NOT FOR USE IN VEAL CALVES.

CAUTION Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.

and

FLU-NIX™

Rx

AgriLabs

(Flunixin Meglumine)

Injectable Solution 50 mg/mL Sterile

ANADA 200-308, approved by FDA

Veterinary

For Intravenous or Intramuscular Use in Horses and for Intravenous Use in Beef and Nonlactating Dairy Cattle Only. Not for Use in Lactating or Dry Dairy Cows. Not for Use in Veal Calves.

Caution

Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.

Why?

banamine isnt really approved (for lack of better word) for use in animals that people consume, that is, you dont want it in the muscle you eat or milk you drink (residues?). also it is preferred to be given IV for immediate effect. having said that, people do it all the time.

edit: recommended might be a better choice than "approved", this information was given to me years ago by a horse enthusiast that i used to work with. Vicky the Vet and others can probably answer yoru question better and more accurately than i have.

if you arent going to eat or drink from the cow in the near future i wouldnt really worry about it.

Question has been answered. An 'anonymous' person explained to me that banamine residues in the meat can cause serious kidney and liver damage in humans after consumption. Which is why it's labeled for IV use only and NOT IM or SubQ.

As stated, question has been answered, and I have added another piece of valuable information to my collection.

Does anyone know if the residues from Banamine in the muscle is permanent? or would the steer be ok to slaughter in a year?

CWT Angus":q54h126s said:
Does anyone know if the residues from Banamine in the muscle is permanent? or would the steer be ok to slaughter in a year?

It's probably one of those things that hasn't been established since it isn't labeled for use that way. Got an idea, though---

Maybe you should just cut out a roast or a few steaks from the injection site and give to your vet to see. Surely your vet won't mind eating eating beef with traces of Banamine since he/she recommends it for others to consume?

CWT Angus":q54h126s said:
I am also currently giving Banamine to a calf- but giving it IM per the vets instruction.

cowboy13":3jbzr8dm said:
We made an appeal and are still waiting for an answer. What do yall think?
It's a steroid. I think you will be waiting a long time for Houston to change their mind. What does your exhibitor manual say about banned substances?

Thanks so much for the suggestion Texan, That's why I was asking. There's no way I would sell this animal for beef if I knew it could make someone ill. I'll have no rethink my marketing plan for this calf. Didn't have much choice but to give the IM shots twice daily- can't just watch him die. He's too small to get to the neck muscle while in the squeeze- neck's pretty short...

I'm not really concerned how you apply the Banamine, just be REAL careful with it. A man in a near town died cuz he accidently pricked himself with it. :(

cowboy13":1zqd6377 said:
Chuck":1zqd6377 said:
cowboy13":1zqd6377 said:
We made an appeal and are still waiting for an answer. What do yall think?
It's a steroid. I think you will be waiting a long time for Houston to change their mind. What does your exhibitor manual say about banned substances?

They aren't sayying its a steroid. It has no withdrawal on it. They said quote..."its a preformance enhancing drug and you could take it and give it to a steer thats not good and put him in the top of the class." You got to have a calf to sart off with thats good. There is no way to give some pasture-crap calf a shot of dex and he will win the class.
OK, we'll use their name for it. Perfomance enhancing drug. It is still illegal. And the book says so. Anything that tests positive gets a dq whether you were aware of the drug being illegal or not. Forget about the "pasture crap" calf- Lets say you and two others are standing top three in the class. Not hardly a hairs breadth difference between the 3 animals. You know for a fact that your steer is clean and you also know for a fact the other two are not. The judge makes his final pass and you end up 2nd or 3rd in the class. Would you not be a little bent out of shape over this? Not trying to be harsh, just sounds like a lesson learned the hard way.

lahunter":15r1reoq said:
I'm not really concerned how you apply the Banamine.....
There's usually a reason for product labeling. Meat residues and injection site damage are big reasons. So it's time for you to get concerned.

lahunter":15r1reoq said:
A man in a near town died cuz he accidently pricked himself with it. :(
Highly unlikely. I find it really hard to believe that a man died because he "accidently pricked himself" with Banamine. But I suppose it could have happened. Please post a link so we can all see for ourselves. Thanks.

milkmaid":1i0sfdts said:
Question has been answered. An 'anonymous' person explained to me that banamine residues in the meat can cause serious kidney and liver damage in humans after consumption. Which is why it's labeled for IV use only and NOT IM or SubQ.

As stated, question has been answered, and I have added another piece of valuable information to my collection.
===========
milkmaid,

Apparently Banamine(Flunixin Meglumine) dissipates from the tissue rather fast.
I thought this was interesting;

...."Human Food Safety

A significant battery of tests were conducted to demonstrate the safety of flunixin meglumine residues in human food. It was concluded that the liver is the target tissue and an adequate withdrawal time is 4 days following intravenous injections of 2.2 mg/kg for up to 3 days".

The web site with full details is;http://www.banamine.com/research/bfmsic.html

"I didn't mean how I wrote "Not concerned" What I meant was that whichever way it was applied to be careful. As far as the link goes I heard it from word of mouth. Yes I supposed it could happen because my employer seriously warned me about the stuff and stressed the part about not pricking myself. I don't know if the man died because of something in it or if he was allergic to it. It just wouldn't hurt anyone to be careful with Banamine and avoid pricking themselves.

Latest posts