Baling cornstocks

Help Support CattleToday:

harry

Reaction score
I have a neighbor that has 12 - 15 acres of cornstocks that he wants baled. Has anyone had any success baling with a small square baler. I am thinking of trying some instead of getting the round baler over here. I have heard some horror stories with small squares in stocks . We did a couple of hundred bales with a square baler a few years ago but sheared some pins when it started getting tough in the evening. May be a challenge to get them really dry. Any opinions?

Best advice I can give you for squarebaling cornstalks ("stocks?") is to make sure your shearbar and plunger knife are tight and razor sharp and the stuff is as dry as you can get it, and quit baling when it gets too damp. When they're good and dry they nearly snap but when they get damp they're as tough as an old shoe. You have to be mighty motivated to small bale cornstalks as they generally aren't worth the trouble, and you're going to have SO much fun picking the dirty dusty abrasive things up and stacking them. Tougher guy than I am :)

If it were me I'd just round bale them and call it good. Quicker, easier, and cheaper all things considered, but that's just me. Good luck!! OL JR :)

We round baled 160 bales with plans to inject them with protein and molasses rendering them more palatable with reasonable nutrition levels.

It was our first time and we were concerned but, the Vermeer Super I baler did an excellent job after cutting with a bush hog mower to chop the stalks. Some were cut with a disc mower. We are not sure ...yet...which approach is the best.

We have them tarped for obvious reasons.

Our trial feeding of a few injected bales was very good. Not much left. We tried feeding side by side with other good mixed hay and the animals depleted the stalks first...no doubt because of the molasses.

I guess you could pour a mix over the square bales and get the same results...but a lot more work.

We haven't baled ss stocks in a few years but we feel it's worth it. Just make sure to have plenty of shear pins and loosen the compactor quite a bit at the start and then adjust. Stocks are tough and tough on equipment. The dryer the better as previously stated and good luck!

Will...,

Our experiments so far has been with Pro-Lix..made by Westway. It has ..oh..30%+ protein with mollasses..in bulk form.

I believe it is the same mix used in the round plastic protein feeder units. Cows seem to like it.

Rudy's Farm Supply in Kevil, KY., ask for Jack. I am sure you can find it near you.

Crowderfarms would be a good one to ask for detailed info.

Latest posts