Bartering hay mowing for baling. What’s fair?

Help Support CattleToday:

You are lucky to have a neighbor that likes giving away hay. I was at 50 a 4x5 last year and that was at $2.19 diesel and "cheap" fertilizer.

If I could buy hay for 30 I'd buy every bale and keep my equipment parked.
I have been buying it for $20 and $15 if they got to it late and it got some weeds in it. So even at reasonable prices it's still 50% above last year.
The only hay I roll myself is 20 acres with no fence or water and it's a mile away.
I'm going to fill my barns back full and theirs also. If hay don't sell it will be there next year.

Your neighbors must have equipment that runs on hopes and dreams, lubricated by unicorn pee, and hay held together with magical wrap.

Even at last years input prices they have more than $15-20 into it.

Do your neighbors also start camp fires with 100 dollar bills just because also?

Your neighbors must have equipment that runs on hopes and dreams, lubricated by unicorn pee, and hay held together with magical wrap.

Even at last years input prices they have more than $15-20 into it.

Do your neighbors also start camp fires with 100 dollar bills just because also?
I don't ask any questions because I don't want them thinking about it. I just enjoy being able to get it in the barn at a reasonable price..

It makes me wonder how people don't go broke if they are selling it for such a loss.
Lot of people finance their farm habit with lots of outside income from their day jobs. If you asked them what it cost to produce a bale of hay they would scratch their heads in confusion.

Lot of people finance their farm habit with lots of outside income from their day jobs. If you asked them what it cost to produce a bale of hay they would scratch their heads in confusion.

Yeah I would say they are probably a good bit like that. I would also say that most of that 20-30 dollar hay isn't the same as your 50 dollar hay. Most around here don't fertilize, don't spray for weeds, and cut a lot of fields they don't own and get all the hay in exchange for keeping the field clean.

Last edited:
Yeah I would say they are probably a good bit like that. I would also say that most of that 20-30 dollar hay isn't the same as your 50 dollar hay. Most around here don't fertilize, don't spray for weeds, and cut people a lot of fields they don't own and get all the hay in exchange for keeping the field clean.
You are correct on this hay except it is very clean. But fall hay can have a few weeds. I also run 20 cows on part of the farm just for clipping the pastures.