baldy question

Help Support CattleToday:

Probably, but most if not all "brown" baldies are referred to as red baldies, including Herf crosses. It's a bit more simpler that way rather than getting into real specifics or technicalities especially at sale time.

Where I grew up, anything that looked herf and wasn't herf was a baldy. Then they added color such as "black baldy" and that wasn't good enough for the brangus crosses so the term "super baldy" was coined. "Brown baldy" would mean nothing more to me than a description. Same as "roan" in horses.

jrdyer42":1swui299 said:
Thanks for the input guys! Can't go wrong with a baldy period!
LOL....I wouldn't exactly double down on that one if you don't know what the make up of the "baldie" is... ;-)

1982vett":2hueahgp said:
jrdyer42":2hueahgp said:
Thanks for the input guys! Can't go wrong with a baldy period!
LOL....I wouldn't exactly double down on that one if you don't know what the make up of the "baldie" is... ;-)

Half red limo and 37,5% Simmental + a tad brangus? :banana:

I meant look-wise, not temperament/genetic wise. I just prefer the looks of a white face

Have several in my herd that fit that description - varying shades of brown and gray, color dilution gene courtesy of some yellow Simmental sires we used, back in the '80s. They range from dark charcoal gray or dark chocolate brown to light brown to silver - some with white or mottled faces.
Most of 'em are 86% (or higher) Angus - no Hereford anywhere in the mix for over 30 years - but the white face - and the color dilution factor hang in there long time.

Latest posts