Baldy Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Since you're dealing with limited pasture, the big slick dark heifer needs to go back to the sale and personally I'd take the smallest one in with her. That way you have a nice uniform set that will raise uniform calves without a big fatty eating everybody else out of house and home. Plus she'll likely turn a little profit right off the bat.

As far as breeding them back, Just about any black calving ease bull is a good choice since he's already got a full pasture. If you want to push them, I wouldn't hesitate to use a PROVEN calving ease char, sim, gv, lim over them via AI but you need to see some reliability first. Angus or Brangus is the easy choice.

user1":1bp6102e said:
If you keep rotating Angus on Herf sired heifers and Hereford on
Angus sired calves you would maintain a black herd with the steers and heifers a very marketable product for a premium.
And about 25% of the calves would pop out red and get docked for it.

If you keep crossing back and forth to Hereford and Angus you produce a set of steer calves that are always sellable and the heifers are a product that can be marketed for a preium. You maintain a uniform set of cows and don't mongrelize your cowherd and take away the possibility of putting the heifers into a cowherd[/quote]

EXCEPT THAT YOU GET REDBALDIES AND THEY GET DOCKED SO YOU DO NOT GET A UNIFORM CALF CROP OR HERD AND THEY LOSE THE 3RD CROSS WHICH MAKES THE MOST HETEROSIS.

The way to get the good F1 Baldy is to breed herf to angus and then go outside for the 3rd cross. To me at least I would go HH/Homo Blk Homo polled GV and then terminal angus.

But since you already have the baldy heifers just find a real reliable heifer bull and turn em out with him. Who cares yer just lookin for a good quality live calf. After that play with some Continentals for terminal calves that really ring the bell.

No offense to Cow Pollinator but it's a little early to start culling. Wait until after the first calf crop and if something is real radical then maybe you cull it!

cow pollinater":2r8xfoj8 said:
Since you're dealing with limited pasture, the big slick dark heifer needs to go back to the sale and personally I'd take the smallest one in with her.

He's working on buying another place with 15 acres and will split them if it works out. He's been talked to about the possible shortfall on grass, but he'll buy what he needs to to keep them up. Sale barn might be a good idea, but I can tell you it ain't happening right now.

We have gotten 3 1/2 inches of rain so far today, so the grass will keep growing for a while.

3waycross":61czdulr said:
No offense to Cow Pollinator but it's a little early to start culling. Wait until after the first calf crop and if something is real radical then maybe you cull it!

None taken. I see baldies quite a bit and from what I've seen out of them the moderate heifers make the cows that made that cross famous while the big strong growthy stuff just seams to eat more without putting it into the calf. We had really good results selling the "best" heifers on a big ranch out here that I dealt with a few years ago. Weaning weights stayed the same but they were able to run a few more cows.

cow pollinater":3rx4rid0 said:
3waycross":3rx4rid0 said:

None taken. I see baldies quite a bit and from what I've seen out of them the moderate heifers make the cows that made that cross famous while the big strong growthy stuff just seams to eat more without putting it into the calf. We had really good results selling the "best" heifers on a big ranch out here that I dealt with a few years ago. Weaning weights stayed the same but they were able to run a few more cows.
This is why I am addicted to this site. It will make ones head spin trying to figure out who's opinion is correct. I personally can see both sides of the arguement.

also since were going to beat this to death.
it's worth mentioning the calves will probably have to be weaned early so not to pull the heifers down too much so they will breed back on time, so the first go round of calves will probably be light anyway.
looks like they may need to be wormed.
looks like you may need keep a watch for pinkeye on a couple of them.
also be careful not to let them get too fat before they calve and might want to have them checked for bvd pi and vaccinate for lepto, ibr, scour guard and etc.
we can go on and on

cross_7":2plryb26 said:
also since were going to beat this to death.
it's worth mentioning the calves will probably have to be weaned early so not to pull the heifers down too much so they will breed back on time, so the first go round of calves will probably be light anyway.
looks like they may need to be wormed.
looks like you may need keep a watch for pinkeye on a couple of them.
also be careful not to let them get too fat before they calve and might want to have them checked for bvd pi and vaccinate for lepto, ibr, scour guard and etc.
we can go on and on

Gotcha. :cboy:

[/quote]

why so rude? you don't have to like the man's cattle....nor the man, but there is no reason be insulting. :2cents:[/quote]

What he said! This is not the way to speak here.[/quote]
:nod: The nasty rude remarks say more about the nasty poster than who they are slamming or being rude to. Some just want to pick and fight.
Those are some nice baldies. :tiphat:

Like Ohiosteve the reason I enjoy this site is hearing others opinions and yes learning. If you ever meet someone in the cattle business that says they know it all run! As soon as you think you have it figured out the cows or mother nature will show you that you don't. We are primarily purebred breeders but we do have some commercial cows but we never use anything but angus bulls so hearing the different suggestions on what breed bull to use is very interesting to me. I am surprised no one has suggested a SIMM bull and would like to hear if this could be an option. Most of our commercial cows have SIMM in them and they produce some super calves.

Gizmom

From looking at the location and pastures in the pics of the heifers has anyone considered putting a Longhorn on them? I expect to see the bloom that is on the heifers disappear and that the input costs to maintain these animals to rise thus reducing the anticipated "big check" mentioned. The pasture and heifers plus the herd bulls recommended are IMO not compatible!

agmantoo":1nh35i55 said:
From looking at the location and pastures in the pics of the heifers has anyone considered putting a Longhorn on them? I expect to see the bloom that is on the heifers disappear and that the input costs to maintain these animals to rise thus reducing the anticipated "big check" mentioned. The pasture and heifers plus the herd bulls recommended are IMO not compatible!

Yep great idea. Breed em to a longhorn and get absolutely nothing for your calves.

That's the worst suggestion yet. If yer gonna do that why not go all the way and use a Jersey or better yet a Corriente!

I'm not sure if everyone gets the full picture here. I spoke with Sam again this morning about the calves and they will ALL be terminal. Once he gets better facilities and pasture he will then consider enlarging. Lots of this information is good for down the road. I showed him some GV bulls and he likes them. Looks like we need to find the right bull now.

Ok if the calves are terminal, there is still two ways to look at it. First you want a live calf so that puts some limitation on the bulls to use. Second the resulting steers and hopw they are marketed. The thing I look at more is the marketing of heifers. I feel there is always a demand for superior females, some breeds will not alow that option.
The way I look at it is herf angus cross steers are always a good marketable product. Herf angus females are always a good marketable product for guys looking for cowherd material. This being these females first calf limits a little to the sires picked, that is why I say either go with a herf or angus for the first calf crop

user1":1wmb1q9e said:
Ok if the calves are terminal, there is still two ways to look at it. First you want a live calf so that puts some limitation on the bulls to use. Second the resulting steers and hopw they are marketed. The thing I look at more is the marketing of heifers. I feel there is always a demand for superior females, some breeds will not alow that option.
The way I look at it is herf angus cross steers are always a good marketable product. Herf angus females are always a good marketable product for guys looking for cowherd material. This being these females first calf limits a little to the sires picked, that is why I say either go with a herf or angus for the first calf crop

I agree. From the 2nd calf onwards you can play around with different terminal bulls, personally I'd start with a good fullblood Limousin and then go on to charolais when they are mature cows.

KNERSIE":1zcdqq4p said:
user1":1zcdqq4p said:

I agree. From the 2nd calf onwards you can play around with different terminal bulls, personally I'd start with a good fullblood Limousin and then go on to charolais when they are mature cows.

OK I usually don't get riled up about this kind of stuff but I guess I need for someone to tell me why a Limo is one bit better than a Gelbvieh with real good EPD's for calving ease.
The man said he showed him some Gelbvieh bulls and he liked them. So now maybe Knersie or anyone else can explain why we have to work real hard to change his mind.

Is there such a thing as a LBW Gelbvieh bull for heifers?? And then on real fat heifers, and a inexperinced cattleman, sounds like your looking for problems to me. You can almost guarantee him he won't have any problems with a LBW Angus bull. 3waycross do you really believe he will have less of a chance for problems on heifers with a Gelbviech bull??

Can you imagine a heifers. She's having her second calf and wonders what the heck happened. That dang first calf was easy, kind of like takin a crap but man what happened with the sewcond :eek:

Its easy to find a LBW angus bull. Plus you don't know anything about the hereford cows the heifers are out of . They may all be high bw cows , so play it safe and go angus .

Latest posts