Baldy Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

since he is not going to keep any heifers back,he would be better off going with a terminal bull.but its all a personal thing.in the end he has to decide what bull he wants to use on the heifers.

nice heifers... most folks dont retain anything from crossbred momas,, they use them for meatmakers... its a hard move up using the best you can when its aready done if you see what im saying id open them with a angus,, then go with a charolais or maybe your pied

Gators Rule":1uex0b0i said:
Taurus":1uex0b0i said:
bigbull338":1uex0b0i said:
well after brangus was said i was thinking char bull.but that would be a termanal cross.beefmaster would work real good on the heifers an produce replacement heifers.
As long as the bull don't come from your herd!!!!

why so rude? you don't have to like the man's cattle....nor the man, but there is no reason be insulting. :2cents:

I agree, bigbull and I seldom see things the same way, but 'one thing is for sure' Scott has never said a word in anger to anyone on here that I've seen.

cross_7":205b2dar said:
user1":205b2dar said:
Put a hereford on them and the resulting heifers go back to Angus

why ?
what would the benefit be to use a hereford bull on black baldies ?

What would the benefit of using an angus bull be? Both would be crossing back to one of the foundation breeds and some would say it makes no sense.

Personally I'd open them with a good thick hereford bull and use limousin or charolais from the second calf onwards.

KNERSIE":2xzkab7o said:
cross_7":2xzkab7o said:
user1":2xzkab7o said:

why ?

What would the benefit of using an angus bull be? Both would be crossing back to one of the foundation breeds and some would say it makes no sense.

Personally I'd open them with a good thick hereford bull and use limousin or charolais from the second calf onwards.

by using a hereford bull you would increase the white markings and get docked on color.
i'm not sying the quality of the calf would be better bred to a angus vs a hereford.
all things being equal a black or bladie calf will sell for more than a calf with hereford type white markings.

LBW Angus bull is the way to go. The color will be right, and should have no calving problems. Don't experiment with heifers. Their ready for the bull now. Buy a young 14-16 month old semen tested paperd angus bull. You can sell the bull after next years calf crop if you want, and you will make good money off the bull as a proven breeder.

highgrit":1ypce6c5 said:
LBW Angus bull is the way to go. The color will be right, and should have no calving problems. Don't experiment with heifers. Their ready for the bull now. Buy a young 14-16 month old semen tested paperd angus bull. You can sell the bull after next years calf crop if you want, and you will make good money off the bull as a proven breeder.

Really. I would like you to tell me where there is a big market for 2yr old non virgin bulls. The only way yer gonna sell him for a profit is if he gains a bunch of weight and you can pound him out at more than you paid originally, and that ain't gonna happen in most cases!

KNERSIE":2umebehe said:
cross_7":2umebehe said:
user1":2umebehe said:

why ?

Call me crazy but didn't you just suggest the same thing. Chances are that they were made the old fashioned way by crossing Herf/Angus. All that really matters is they get bred to a calving ease bull. Then frankly I would go Continental for terminal; after that.............ANY Continental, would be a better cross than one of the base breeds

I'm playing catch up on this thread and I know my friend appreciates the compliments. Yes, they are Herf over Angus, and unless folks have been thinking something different, I've been surprised that you would go back either way. I've been trying to learn on this board and that goes against what I thought I learned.

Calving ease for sure, but I'm not going to advise him to breed anything younger than 15 months. I'm also going to push him to get pelvic scores, although the old timers around here laugh at that idea.

He and I took a ride today and discussed at length what his plans are and he, being greener than I, just wants babies and big fat check. I'm suggesting black Gelbvieh if I can find something that he likes and will work on heifers (I haven't looked yet). I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this (except for the uncalled for rudeness). I, too, think they are a fine group of calves and want to do what I am able to do to help the guy. Now if my thinking is screwed up I'd certainly entertain the reasons why. Hey, I'm still learning. :tiphat:

slick4591":ze8xcubu said:
I'm playing catch up on this thread and I know my friend appreciates the compliments. Yes, they are Herf over Angus, and unless folks have been thinking something different, I've been surprised that you would go back either way. I've been trying to learn on this board and that goes against what I thought I learned.

Calving ease for sure, but I'm not going to advise him to breed anything younger than 15 months. I'm also going to push him to get pelvic scores, although the old timers around here laugh at that idea.

He and I took a ride today and discussed at length what his plans are and he, being greener than I, just wants babies and big fat check. I'm suggesting black Gelbvieh if I can find something that he likes and will work on heifers (I haven't looked yet). I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this (except for the uncalled for rudeness). I, too, think they are a fine group of calves and want to do what I am able to do to help the guy. Now if my thinking is screwed up I'd certainly entertain the reasons why. Hey, I'm still learning. :tiphat:

Nuthin wrong with your thinking. I didn't want to reccomend a GV just to not sound like a breed pimp. Just make sure it's a heifer bull!

user1":xcdyj9om said:
cross_7":xcdyj9om said:
user1":xcdyj9om said:

why ?

To maintain a black baldy herd

Breed a herf bull to a bunch of baldy heifers made the way these were and you will get some RED baldies. They are all red carriers!

cross_7":2snhjn3e said:
KNERSIE":2snhjn3e said:
cross_7":2snhjn3e said:
why ?

by using a hereford bull you would increase the white markings and get docked on color.
i'm not sying the quality of the calf would be better bred to a angus vs a hereford.
all things being equal a black or bladie calf will sell for more than a calf with hereford type white markings.

If you keep crossing back and forth to Hereford and Angus you produce a set of steer calves that are always sellable and the heifers are a product that can be marketed for a preium. You maintain a uniform set of cows and don't mongrelize your cowherd and take away the possibility of putting the heifers into a cowherd

slick4591":vgwpg516 said:
I'm playing catch up on this thread and I know my friend appreciates the compliments. Yes, they are Herf over Angus, and unless folks have been thinking something different, I've been surprised that you would go back either way. I've been trying to learn on this board and that goes against what I thought I learned.Calving ease for sure, but I'm not going to advise him to breed anything younger than 15 months. I'm also going to push him to get pelvic scores, although the old timers around here laugh at that idea.

you been reading to many mf135 robotic post

If you keep rotating Angus on Herf sired heifers and Hereford on
Angus sired calves you would maintain a black herd with the steers and heifers a very marketable product for a premium.

Latest posts