Balansa clover

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
Right or wrong, I spread 3#/A of Balansa clover on my mostly fescue pastures last week. Hoping to improve grazing quality and fix N. Anyone have experience with it?

I planted a lot last fall at about the start of the drought we had for two months. I see some clover coming now but not sure if its the balansa or not, probably won't know for a couple more months. I'll keep you posted.

I planted some last fall with triticale. I'm not sure if it was the dry weather or maybe planted too soon after I sprayed dicamba, but I can't find anything. I have grazed the first paddock, about to turn in on the second one today. Maybe I'll see some soon. It is intriguing for sure. I'll probably try it again since conditions weren't exactly favorable. I sure HOPE I can find some in the field this afternoon. It does have hard seed so there may be some germinate this year. Time will tell.

Banjo, I look forward to hearing your results, hopefully better than mine!

Banjo said:
I planted a lot last fall at about the start of the drought we had for two months. I see some clover coming now but not sure if its the balansa or not, probably won't know for a couple more months. I'll keep you posted.

Any updates? I know it's barely been 2 weeks, but things are waking up around here...atleast until this last cold snap. Mine was a total bust. There is NOTHING in with my triticale. Either planted too deep, got too dry, or it's really sensitive to dicamba. (I had sprayed field about 65d prior to planting...usually 60d is plenty for most winter annual legumes around here)

Yesterday I finally found some. The balansa's leaf edge is kind of jagged and a little more heart shaped, that's how I could tell it from the white.

We planted about 100acres of Annual Ryegrass and Balansa, it done well for us and came back good this year on it's own. How pasture was a little low in PH and P & K and it still done good.

SimAngHerf said:
We planted about 100acres of Annual Ryegrass and Balansa, it done well for us and came back good this year on it's own. How pasture was a little low in PH and P & K and it still done good.

My pH is just at the high end of what it likes, we're slightly alkaline

I am disappointed in the fixation balansa clover. The only place i saw some was in a small lot I have across from where I live.....i sowed some there last fall....not very thick just scattered here and there. In my pastures I see nothing....maybe it can't stand the hoof traffic.
I sowed some on 15 acres(hayfield) no traffic,
this spring...early march....no sign of it. maybe it can't stand much competition or needs to be planted in tilled ground.
Needless to say, my results are poor.....maybe others did better. i am somewhat impressed with some crimson clover I sowed last fall. I may try some more of that along with the red clover and ladino I frost seeded in feb thats also looking good.

Banjo said:
I am disappointed in the fixation balansa clover. The only place i saw some was in a small lot I have across from where I live.....i sowed some there last fall....not very thick just scattered here and there. In my pastures I see nothing....maybe it can't stand the hoof traffic.
I sowed some on 15 acres(hayfield) no traffic,
this spring...early march....no sign of it. maybe it can't stand much competition or needs to be planted in tilled ground.
Needless to say, my results are poor.....maybe others did better. i am somewhat impressed with some crimson clover I sowed last fall. I may try some more of that along with the red clover and ladino I frost seeded in feb thats also looking good.
I've not seen much either. I'm going to seed again this fall, I may do some of balansa and some crimson and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts