Balancer Bull for replacement heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

gildehbc

Reaction score
We have been working on developing some good balancer heifers for several years now. We have been AI breeding some Balancer heifers with CTR Goodnight 715T and now have a good group of Goodnight daughters. We are considering using AI Lazy TV Watchmen on the GN daughters. Any comments on this plan or other suggestions to develop some above average balancer cows?

AMGV971704 makes the best females I have seen in some time. He is very safe to use on heifers with consistent 65 to 70 lb BW small calves. I have had several heifers out of him and they have all been fought over by my customers as replacement heifers. I am AI'ing a registered heifer to him this week in the hopes of getting another heifer. Bull Barn may still have semen on him (called McMinnville Anchor) but if they don't have any I can get you direct to the source.

Check the gelbvieh association web page before picking a balancer bull to see if they are clear of any genetic defects (education tab). New trend is to have all bulls tested to ensure against defect carriers. This list will also help with your heifers to see if sires were carriers or clean. More clean bulls out there then carriers but cannot be too safe.

3WX

Have you seen a lot of Kruggerand daughters? I'm wondering about feet, legs and udders. I assume since you mention him for replacement animals you approve of him in those areas, but thought I'd ask anyway. I've seen one of his duaghters, but that's not enough numbers for me....Thanks.

I've seen him and his daughters hell i own one. Sound animals good conformation and good mothers, he is clean clear sire. Only knock is he is not the tallest of bulls but not short by no means he adds depth to his calves.

I haven't seen many 715T daughters. I had 3 bulls out of him last year and I really liked them and I've heard 715T's daughters are better then his sons. I have one 715T heifer right now that is 7 months old out of one of my top cows so I'll probably keep her for a replacement and haven't figured out what I'll breed her to yet. I haven't seen any Watchman daughters but have seen a few bulls. Deep soggy type bulls. I do have a couple Kruggerand bred heifers and one of them might be the best female I've raised in awhile. Super confirmation, pretty easy keeping, udder looks like it will be fantastic, and feet seem to be good although I might give her a touch more bone and a little bigger foot, but that's being nit picky.
So I'd say Watchman or Kruggerand would be a pretty good choice to go on those 715T daughters. A couple other ones I'd throw out there that I've seen awesome females out of are JBOB 4665M and TAU Grid Topper 43T - AMGV1036179.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. New to this board and your input is valuable. The ultimate plan would be to use these heifers/cows with a terminal angus sire in a commercial program. So we are really trying to stay on the maternal side of the EPD spectrum and thought these two bulls accomplished that objective. I will look into your other suggestions as well. Thanks.

Latest posts