Bad cows good pic

Help Support CattleToday:

Great pics, nice cows, but why are they not supposed to be in the pond? Mine are always in the ponds, creeks & watershed lake. Granted, they also use them as a giant toilet but they also have the uncanny knack of dropping a load in the stock tanks & water fountains.

TCRanch said:
Great pics, nice cows, but why are they not supposed to be in the pond? Mine are always in the ponds, creeks & watershed lake. Granted, they also use them as a giant toilet but they also have the uncanny knack of dropping a load in the stock tanks & water fountains.

Just didn't want them in there. It's a newer pond and deep on one end. My luck they would drown lol.

Love the cows and the pictures. Tells the poor hot heifers they are welcome to come to my house when your mistreating them. Haha jk

Cows can swim.
We never allow cattle to drink out of a pond. They ruin the banks and soil the water. In Kansas, that used to be the biggest way cattle would die (back in the 70's). Ponds were their water source, and in the winter they would walk out on the ice and fall through.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Cows can swim.
We never allow cattle to drink out of a pond. They ruin the banks and soil the water. In Kansas, that used to be the biggest way cattle would die (back in the 70's). Ponds were their water source, and in the winter they would walk out on the ice and fall through.

I know they can swim. I was being sarcastic lol.
Like I said and u mentioned didn't want them in there. Tear up my bank and lord knows what else.

I learned the hard way they can swim, 9 1/2 years ago during calving. One of the cows decided to calve in the woods above the watershed, which is 60 acres, generally holds 155 million gallons of water. Went to check on the calf that was only a few hours old and that baby jumped up, took off and tumbled all the way down the woods into the water. To my amazement she started swimming (looked like dog paddling) towards the middle of the lake. Yelled at my husband to go in & get her but he looked at me like I was nuts - it was 40 degrees - and went to get the boat at the workshop. I watched her swim to the middle then head north but it was clear she was starting to struggle so I dropped trou & went in. Yowza that water was cold!! By the time I got to her she was so tired she didn't struggle and I got her back to shore and carried her up the ravine, wrapped myself around her trying to get her warm. I was barefoot but my feet were so frozen I didn't realize they were completely cut up. Meanwhile, Hubby gets back with the boat & doesn't see me or the calf but saw my clothes on the bank. Minor heart failure ensued. He's halfway down the lake searching when I hear the boat & started yelling; he finally spotted me through the woods. Docks the boat, gives me his coat & carries the calf the rest of the way up the hill to her mama - who evidently had no clue what had just happened.

Still have that ornery calf, who is now the boss cow and one of my best producers.

You bet they can swim.
Not a single one was lost. This was in Corrientes, NE state of Argentina, January or February 2018.
https://www.facebook.com/431337940397478/videos/2214828845435270/

Carlos F. said:
You bet they can swim.
Not a single one was lost. This was in Corrientes, NE state of Argentina, January or February 2018.
https://www.facebook.com/431337940397478/videos/2214828845435270/

Likewise. I enjoyed that. I encourage you to post more about cattle ranching in Argentina. Thanks.

Latest posts