Bad Checks

Help Support CattleToday:

I've had several people not pay or write hot checks for work we've done. In my area I go strait to the d.a. Civil court won't get you anything . Criminal charges for theft of goods and services via bad check is the way to go . When the sheriff shows up to pick them up the find money pretty quick . Sometimes it's hard to get them to do anything . I had a lawyer / head of the Democratic Party stiff me for 12,000 dollars worth from bailing his hay . I called the da everyday for a month before they decided to pick him up . I was told that I was making a mistake by the da and he would get back at me because of who he was etc. squeaky wheel got greased when I played the conversation. For a judge and threatened to put it on the news that the da was basically threatening me . Long story short he showed up and payed me . He even had the nerve to call this year wanting his hay cut lol .

JSCATTLE":3qysi1zb said:
I've had several people not pay or write hot checks for work we've done. In my area I go strait to the d.a. Civil court won't get you anything . Criminal charges for theft of goods and services via bad check is the way to go . When the sheriff shows up to pick them up the find money pretty quick . Sometimes it's hard to get them to do anything . I had a lawyer / head of the Democratic Party stiff me for 12,000 dollars worth from bailing his hay . I called the da everyday for a month before they decided to pick him up . I was told that I was making a mistake by the da and he would get back at me because of who he was etc. squeaky wheel got greased when I played the conversation. For a judge and threatened to put it on the news that the da was basically threatening me . Long story short he showed up and payed me . He even had the nerve to call this year wanting his hay cut lol .

I appreciate that help. I was assuming this to be a felony charge that would be prosecuted at the county prosecutor level.

I bought a $400 clock from some one off of Ebay a few years ago from a seller in Indiana (I'm in Kan). The seller received the MO and said he sent the clock. Clock didn't show up and after several emails I sent him an email. Said, "I would be up that direction in a couple of weeks to visit my cousins. We'd swing by sometime when we were out running around to pick up the clock. Not sure of the exact time frame, we'll just stop in."

I received the clock in about 5 days. I was sure to word the email so it was vague, so if he had family at home he would not want these hoodlums there without notice.

Something like this might work for you.

D2Cat":2r1j8ht0 said:
I bought a $400 clock from some one off of Ebay a few years ago from a seller in Indiana (I'm in Kan). The seller received the MO and said he sent the clock. Clock didn't show up and after several emails I sent him an email. Said, "I would be up that direction in a couple of weeks to visit my cousins. We'd swing by sometime when we were out running around to pick up the clock. Not sure of the exact time frame, we'll just stop in."

I received the clock in about 5 days. I was sure to word the email so it was vague, so if he had family at home he would not want these hoodlums there without notice.

Something like this might work for you.

I hope you informed ebay of the seller's behavior. They frown very heavily on sellers who do not perform.

UPDATE:

Athens, Ohio is in Athens County. Jane Doe resides near Slade, Ohio which is in Athens County. It is a separate City and County government. The Athens County Prosecutor is Keller J. Blackburn at 1 S. Court Street, Athens, Ohio 45701. He and his staff are the public prosecutors for felony cases and up. On the federal level, an OOS bad check over $500 is considered a felony. However, each state has its own public prosecution regulations and they are different from state to state.

I have talked directly to the public prosecutor in the jurisdiction where Jane Doe is located. The jurisdiction for an OOS bad check can be where the check was tendered or where the check originates. Mr Blackburn's office referred me to the City of Athens prosecutor's office. The City of Athens is the public prosecutor in the jurisdiction where the check originated. James Stanley prosecutes for both City and County of Athens, Ohio. In this jurisdiction the subject circumstances would be prosecuted as a misdemeanor. In addition, while Jane Doe would get a dose of punishment, the prosecution would not nessasarily result in the payment of the amount owed.

The other option is to pursue a civil action against Jane Doe but that would involve travel, time, effort and fees. With only $650 outstanding, may be a losing proposition.

Slick: I did not research pursuing it in the federal system as a result of statutes involving interstate commerce. But it is likely they would refer you to a local prosecutor according to a district judge I spoke to.

JSCATTLE: This does not rise to the threshold of a criminal charge. The circumstances you mention involved more money or other actions of a more criminal nature.

D2CAT: I had a personal situation on EBAY many years ago much like yours with the clock. I sold my son's gaming station on EBAY. The buyer paid with credit card. As soon as she got the item, she went to her bank and filed a stop payment on the item saying it was broken. It was weird, one day my paypal account was credited; the next day it was debited for the same amount. EBAY refused to do anything.

I sent her a letter, very carefully worded. I said, "Lady, I would never have the nerve to do what you are doing. I knew a guy who went half way across the county to settle an issue over $10. Some people are extremely emotional over being cheated. I would be afraid I would walk out to get in my car one morning and the person I cheated would be standing there to greet me." I got paid.

Ron
I don't know if you have considered this but it's possible that she has already sold the dog to someone else. I hate to say it but you and your friend might just be SOL.

Slick: I did not research pursuing it in the federal system as a result of statutes involving interstate commerce. But it is likely they would refer you to a local prosecutor according to a district judge I spoke to.

In my experience that's exactly what they would do. Heck, they only prosecute the higher profile bank robberies these days and send the others to state level. Glad you collected on it.

3waycross":c2gvrpzg said:
Ron
I don't know if you have considered this but it's possible that she has already sold the dog to someone else. I hate to say it but you and your friend might just be SOL.

Yep. Jane Doe claims she has the dog and wants to keep it but her name is associted with a dog kennel. She may have had a buyer for the dog before she picked it up in Missouri.

If she has a kennel you should pull a end around on her for another dog. Apparently you have a blue print on how to do it.

Sometimes a little "bad press" for a kennel is not a good thing, especially if the kennel is registered/associated with the AKC and any other (breed specific) registries.

Hook":1tpye0oa said:
So, are you gonna let the cat out of the bag. Or in this case the dog outta the bag?

Fire Sweep Ranch. She has a beautiful Corgi. She breeds her to a pedigree stud and markets the litter. She sold a female to Jane Doe in Ohio. Jane Doe made the down payment in MO. Kris took final payment in a personal check. I am a two hour drive from Athens. Having an independent agent who is not party to the transaction can be effective in these circumstances. Takes Kris out of an emotional process. As an agent, you can be brief and stiffle the static. For example, Jane Doe wanted to make an argument that the dog was not worth the amount that was agreed to, I replied, "Lady, I have nothing to do with the transaction. Contact the seller if you want to discuss that. I want the balance paid or if you don't have the money, I will come up there and get the dog."

The objective is to intimidate them into some kind of action that serves your client. Does not look like it worked. These crooks conduct most of their big ticket purchases in this fashion whether they are buying a car or an appliance. They use the same lines. There is always something wrong with what they purchased. And of course, that is just static to avoid the central issue which is to cheat you. I have viewed her property on Google Earth. A strange set up to be sure.

Years ago had a tenant who frequently gave me hot checks so put him on cash only basis. When he gave notice he was moving out, he sent me a check for last months rent which suspected would bounce. Instead of depositing the check, I sent it for collection and gave them up to 30 days to hold it. Sure enough, before the 30 days was up, they made a deposit which allowed my check to clear.

Suggest your client go to her bank and try to submit the check for collection giving them the maximum allowable time in case a deposit is made to the account.

Could also ADVISE Jane Doe that you will be coming unannounced to her area in next few weeks, etc,etc. Or possibly your cousins Vinny and Guido could be making the trip. Maybe comment on how her place looks on Google earth so she thinks you are serious. LOL

Your client could also post her experience with Jane Doe on Yelp.com. Give Jane some free advertising.

Could post a hot check warning ad about Jane Doe in Jane's local craigslist. More free advertising.

Best wishes for your efforts.

Texas PaPaw":syas5hb8 said:
Years ago had a tenant who frequently gave me hot checks so put him on cash only basis. When he gave notice he was moving out, he sent me a check for last months rent which suspected would bounce. Instead of depositing the check,
I sent it for collection and gave them up to 30 days to hold it. Sure enough, before the 30 days was up, they made a deposit which allowed my check to clear.

Suggest your client go to her bank and try to submit the check for collection giving them the maximum allowable time in case a deposit is made to the account.

Could also ADVISE Jane Doe that you will be coming unannounced to her area in next few weeks, etc,etc. Or possibly your cousins Vinny and Guido could be making the trip. Maybe comment on how her place looks on Google earth so she thinks you are serious. LOL

Your client could also post her experience with Jane Doe on Yelp.com. Give Jane some free advertising.

Could post a hot check warning ad about Jane Doe in Jane's local craigslist. More free advertising.

Best wishes for your efforts.

I did the same thing to a client who wrote my company close to 12000 in bad checks. He sold his pickup right after he closed his restaurant and thought he got away with stiffing me and a couple of others. Actually laughed about it. I was in the middle of a cornfield in SD hunting when I got his phone call calling me every name in the book..best day of hunting I ever had.

As far as making threats involving fictional Italian relatives. Not a good idea.

slick4591":zpj52vcm said:
OK~ I'm confused. Did you get the money or not?

inyati13":zpj52vcm said:
I got paid.

inyati13":zpj52vcm said:
The objective is to intimidate them into some kind of action that serves your client. Does not look like it worked.
Got paid for my son's playstation I sold on eBay. Kris has not been paid the $650 Jane Doe owes.

Latest posts