Is a bad udder really bad?

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
https://onpasture.com/2019/08/05/how-important-is-a-perfect-udder-on-a-beef-cow/

Wouldn't want to be breeding bad udders and hate it when one shows up but calves have always done ok.

I see the same thing. One of my best and oldest cows has only had 3 working quarters for a number of years. It doesn't seem to have effected her performance. A couple of my cows have a large teat or two. If the other teats are normal size, they seem to be able to provide enough for the calf until it is big enough to use the big ones.

Coming from a dairy background I"m probably more critical and judgemental of bad udders than I should be. As long as they are functional they're doing what they were designed to do. I just don't like a long hanging udder with one or more big tits and will cull them pretty quickly. I've got one now that doesn't have a terrible udder but it's just not attractive but she too raises an excellent calf every year. Might have to try to ignore her and get at least one more calf out of her.

Stocker Steve said:
Looks like bad udders increase weaning weights. :banana:

But hot carcass weights were 30 lbs lighter....some how that bad udder caused em to not gain after getting off that bad bag..... :???: :lol:

1982vett said:
Stocker Steve said:
Looks like bad udders increase weaning weights. :banana:

But hot carcass weights were 30 lbs lighter....some how that bad udder caused em to not gain after getting off that bad bag..... :???: :lol:
Probably from being depressed, thinking bout how gimped up their mammy was...

TexasBred said:
Coming from a dairy background I"m probably more critical and judgemental of bad udders than I should be.
I think that is so true of any with a dairy background (myself included)

Udder problems that are a deal breaker for dairies (high somatic cell counts) are absolutely no problem with beef cows as long nothing prevents newborns from latching on and getting plenty
of colostrum. If the udder is good enough for a newborn it's functional enough for growing calves.
A truly bad udder would show up in weaning weights.

Bad udders should lead to higher weaning weights as they are automatically heavier milkers. Common sense. Cow's suspension doesn't break down if she only ever produces 2 cups of milk a day her entire life.

Once the calf is on the ground, I expect the cow to look after it at that point on. Helping calves suck or losing calves because they couldn't and got too dehydrated is where it starts costing time and money. My poor uddered cows are always available for sale to whatever sucker who doesn't have enough of a workload already.

Yes, I think SOME bad udders are from having too much milk for the calf, but it doesn't HAVE to be that way.

While I don't require them to have perfect udders, I still do appreciate it.. I like my old cows, so I keep calves from trouble free cows so they can get old without having issues.

Tizia

Mega (Tizia's daughter)

When she's dry

Rosie (Tizia's sister) at 16

Caddy (Rosie's daughter) when dry

Not a slouch in the milk department looking at that calf

I'd call that a pretty darned perfect udder for a beef cow

Caddy's daughter at 8 years old

Rosie's other daughter at 8 as well.. she's raising a calf that's by FAR the biggest of the herd

Nesikep said:
Yes, I think SOME bad udders are from having too much milk for the calf, but it doesn't HAVE to be that way.

While I don't require them to have perfect udders, I still do appreciate it.. I like my old cows, so I keep calves from trouble free cows so they can get old without having issues.

Tizia

Mega (Tizia's daughter)

When she's dry

Rosie (Tizia's sister) at 16

Caddy (Rosie's daughter) when dry

Not a slouch in the milk department looking at that calf

I'd call that a pretty darned perfect udder for a beef cow

Caddy's daughter at 8 years old

Rosie's other daughter at 8 as well.. she's raising a calf that's by FAR the biggest of the herd

They are excellent udders, especially having such great foreudder and even teats. And at that age to hold up in perfect condition is remarkable!

To me those pics show exactly why good udders are so important, because of longevity. A bad udder will fall apart with age. There is also a difference between a bad udder and a functional udder. Functional is fine but borders on turning bad with the wrong sires.

Redgully said:
They are excellent udders, especially having such great foreudder and even teats. And at that age to hold up in perfect condition is remarkable!

To me those pics show exactly why good udders are so important, because of longevity. A bad udder will fall apart with age. There is also a difference between a bad udder and a functional udder. Functional is fine but borders on turning bad with the wrong sires.

Thanks, I do like nice square set teats and uniform quarters, though I find the rear quarters tend to have more milk anyhow

Here's Mega and her calf at a day old or so.. Milk leaking everywhere (better leak it out than ruin the udder though)
https://youtu.be/hhc4UacsIGo

This cow.. well.. she stepped on her teats once.. her daughters have good bags though at 7 and 8 years old
https://youtu.be/4mhECCMxi1w

Latest posts