Bad Checks

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":1t6zz52i said:
Just go get the dog. She won't take care of it anyway.

I am doing this in gratis, not worth going to jail over. Although, I have thought prison is not all that bad. Especially, if you have a computer. 3 meals a day. A place to exercise. I could break my drinking habit. Shoot, I think I will go get the dog with guns blazing. I might even steal one of their miniture horses while I am there. :D

jedstivers":2iyn85i3 said:
Ouachita":2iyn85i3 said:
I know the State of Arkansas has a "Hot Check Law", but usually handled at county level. I think maybe it makes some state funds available to counties who need to go after something other than local.
I don't know details as I've never pursued any. Always figured if they can live with with it, I can live without. Besides, in aviation, I can have a maintenance lien slapped on Jeds Leer in 24 hrs if he refuses to pay :lol2: That goes into the the aircraft permanent records in OK City. I've only used that tool once.
Now how'd my Leer get drug into this? I've never had a Corgi on it.
Obviously you don't remember. Must have during the same drunk giraffe time period. The boot scraper I installed??? The mach 2 rated naked lady mud flaps? The spittoons rated for 9g's? Cause you had problems with AC trying to spit out the windows? Remember?

inyati13":1rygplr5 said:
bbirder":1rygplr5 said:
inyati13":1rygplr5 said:
First things first gotta figure out where the jurisdiction is.
[/quote

I know the person whom I am acting for (so do you). I am helping because I am close to Jane Doe.

You know your client and you are close to Jane Doe and you have to get a prosecutor involved? Something doesn't sound right here.

Something is definitely not right. Jane Doe has my client's dog and issued a bad check. That don't sound right to me either.

Just how close are you to Jane Doe?

Ouachita":18isjjqe said:
I thought passing a hot check across state line was a federal crime Or am I thinking wrong?

Not that I'm aware of, of course Federal law is not my strong suit. We used to handle lots of out of state checks and would gladly file them if they were of a felony amount and we could prove identity of the passer.

inyati13":18isjjqe said:
slick, I agree that the jurisdiction for in state is where the check is presented. But to prosecute an Out of State bad check in Missouri when the offending party is in Ohio is going to present some issues.

Unless there's something I'm missing being out of state makes no difference. Check with the local prosecutor and find out if the check is of a felony amount in MO. They will probably require a certified letter of collection first to prove notice. If the crime is a felony then they should accept the case and be willing to extradite. If it's a misdemeanor it's unlikely they will bother.

bbirder":hqrvq3f0 said:
inyati13":hqrvq3f0 said:
bbirder":hqrvq3f0 said:
Just how close are you to Jane Doe?

A two hour drive.

I'm outa here! Have your sadistic fun.

What??? This is the real deal. Must be some miscommunication.

bbirder, I am not following your point. If i guess you are assuming I can go confiscate the dog. I have no legal right to do that. Jane Doe currently has legal possession. Is that the point that is on your mind?

slick4591":3s09e2su said:
Ouachita":3s09e2su said:
I thought passing a hot check across state line was a federal crime Or am I thinking wrong?

Not that I'm aware of, of course Federal law is not my strong suit. We used to handle lots of out of state checks and would gladly file them if they were of a felony amount and we could prove identity of the passer.

inyati13":3s09e2su said:
slick, I agree that the jurisdiction for in state is where the check is presented. But to prosecute an Out of State bad check in Missouri when the offending party is in Ohio is going to present some issues.

Unless there's something I'm missing being out of state makes no difference. Check with the local prosecutor and find out if the check is of a felony amount in MO. They will probably require a certified letter of collection first to prove notice. If the crime is a felony then they should accept the case and be willing to extradite. If it's a misdemeanor it's unlikely they will bother.

slick, there are some federal issues. An out of state bad check invokes statutes addressing interstate commerce. OOS Bad Checks in excess of $500 is a felony in all states to the best I can determine. Punishment can involve imprisonment.

Can someone check on the dog,just to make sure Jane doesn't get back a rack of bones covered in fleas and mange?

inyati13":2n1a7bzy said:
jedstivers":2n1a7bzy said:

I am doing this in gratis, not worth going to jail over. Although, I have thought prison is not all that bad. Especially, if you have a computer. 3 meals a day. A place to exercise. I could break my drinking habit. Shoot, I think I will go get the dog with guns blazing. I might even steal one of their miniture horses while I am there. :D
Just send Blue in to talk her into a little ride.

jedstivers":393tctg1 said:
inyati13":393tctg1 said:
jedstivers":393tctg1 said:

Just send Blue in to talk her into a little ride.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's been a while since I have had to get fund for a nsf check. If I recall you have to send a certified letter demanding the money within x amount of days. If they don't pay then you turn it over to SA. Talk to the SA and he will advise you on the steps nee d ed.

peg4x4":fjtwabsh said:
Can someone check on the dog,just to make sure Jane doesn't get back a rack of bones covered in fleas and mange?

Whoa cowboy. :D Jane Doe is the crook who bought the dog and then issued the bad check. She has possession of the dog. Until a judgement is issued providing direction, the law recognizes her as having rightful possession. If there were legal grounds, one could get an order to determine if the dog is being humanely cared for. But right now the options desired are:
1. Apply leverage to get her to willingly return the dog in lieu of paying for it or
2. Get her to pay the balance she owes ($650).

inyati13":3430fxgs said:

bbirder, I am not following your point. If i guess you are assuming I can go confiscate the dog. I have no legal right to do that. Jane Doe currently has legal possession. Is that the point that is on your mind?

My point is are you close like in "Close" or close like in distance.

bbirder":2ztwnouv said:
inyati13":2ztwnouv said:

My point is are you close like in "Close" or close like in distance.

Never met her. I had one phone conversation with her to give her the terms I stated in the OP. My client met her once when she drove from Athens, Ohio to Missouri where she picked up the dog. She had her college age daughter with her.

From Maysville, KY to Athens, Ohio is a two hour auto drive.

inyati13":1zs2uenw said:
slick, there are some federal issues. An out of state bad check invokes statutes addressing interstate commerce. OOS Bad Checks in excess of $500 is a felony in all states to the best I can determine. Punishment can involve imprisonment.

Did a little looking and found that statute. Good luck working it through the feds.

Our felony punishment range has to be $1500.00 and up now-a-days.

sounds like a job for Pet Detective or Repo Man.
That's a lot of $$ for a lil' ol 30lb dog--must be Certified [fill in the blank]or black haired or something.
(and some people dare complain about the price of a good bull)

greybeard":1cpbtzep said:
That's a lot of $$ for a lil' ol 30lb dog--must be Certified [fill in the blank]or black haired or something.

Registered Female Corgi with excellent pedigree. They sell like hot cakes.

greybeard":3aqcomgf said:
Maybe you could get turtle man to go repo her?

jedstivers":k7gtqtq9 said:
greybeard":k7gtqtq9 said:
Maybe you could get turtle man to go repo her?

Thanks Jed, I needed a laugh this AM.

Latest posts