B.S. or Fact

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":iyuy46ml said:
Jogeephus":iyuy46ml said:
Okra is $42/bushel.
Probably gonna get higher. Nobody wants to cut it. I thought about planting about 5 acres next year. I'm not sure I can keep up with it. What do you think?

Sure you can. A guy not far from me planted 400 acres and he's not complaining about the prices. Granted, if you go this route there isn't any gov't teet to suck from so your on your own. Or does this make this not farming? :???:

Edit: Before you plant it you need to have it sold - and no - YOU by yourself could never keep up with 5 acres.

Jogeephus":zzwjug7e said:
JMJ Farms":zzwjug7e said:
Jogeephus":zzwjug7e said:
Okra is $42/bushel.
Probably gonna get higher. Nobody wants to cut it. I thought about planting about 5 acres next year. I'm not sure I can keep up with it. What do you think?

Sure you can. A guy not far from me planted 400 acres and he's not complaining about the prices. Granted, if you go this route there isn't any gov't teet to suck from so your on your own. Or does this make this not farming? :???:

Edit: Before you plant it you need to have it sold - and no - YOU by yourself could never keep up with 5 acres.

That's kinda what I figured. How's he cutting 400 acres? Machine or Mexicans?

JMJ Farms":23aud9uf said:
Jogeephus":23aud9uf said:
JMJ Farms":23aud9uf said:

Why on earth would you think he would hire Mexicans to do a job any unskilled American could do? And how did you know he drug tested? No, he brought in 600 Guatamalians. I asked what he was going to do when the okra got too tall for the Guatamalians to cut because they are a short breed of people for sure but no one seemed concerned.

ga.prime":v2a6gcc7 said:
1982vett":v2a6gcc7 said:
Jogeephus":v2a6gcc7 said:
Okra is $42/bushel.
$3.48 a lb at. HEB.....
I'm getting 10 lb of okra every 2 days out of my garden. I'm fixing to go side dress it and my tomatoes with some 15-0-15

I need to do the same but to be honest I'm getting tired of picking stuff. :oops:

Jogeephus":2gk7so64 said:
JMJ Farms":2gk7so64 said:
Jogeephus":2gk7so64 said:

Why on earth would you think he would hire Mexicans to do a job any unskilled American could do? And how did you know he drug tested? No, he brought in 600 Guatamalians. I asked what he was going to do when the okra got too tall for the Guatamalians to cut because they are a short breed of people for sure but no one seemed concerned.

600? Joe I need a favor. Find us a big lot or a few acres in the county. We are fixing to build an old timey motel and put a saloon beside and a laundry mat beside that. We will call it 'side income'. We will run it like a commissary and should be able to play with cows the other 10 months outta the year.

JMJ Farms":khgq9bl9 said:
600? Joe I need a favor. Find us a big lot or a few acres in the county. We are fixing to build an old timey motel and put a saloon beside and a laundry mat beside that. We will call it 'side income'. We will run it like a commissary and should be able to play with cows the other 10 months outta the year.

With the legal immigration laws he's already got a village built to house the workers but if you are interested in a new business I have a good business idea you could make some good money with if you put some effort in it. I'm too old to do it myself but if you are interested pm me and I'll share the idea with you. With your skills you could probably get started fairly cheaply.

My Father was a watermelon farmer through the fifties and early sixties. He finally quit. He sold many a hundred pounds of the black diamond of child hood memories for $.50 a hundred pounds. I go through the grocery store today and see a melon that weighs about 25 lbs priced at $6.87 and wonder what if my Father was living to see that. He started a small family dairy in about 1954. A lot of independent truckers that hauled grain and such at that time. In the summer they bought melons from us and hauled north to water melon slicing gardens, Dad asked about Alfalfa hay, the truckers said sure we can get you some. So it was trade for hay and melons some times there was a difference in the price of melons and hay but it seemed that ever one survived. there are lot of stories that I could tell about my Father who was one that if put on a pile of rocks he could find or develop a market. He and my mother worked side by side all of their life. He had a pretty good sized estate when he died that made his four children's lives a little easier. He and my mother only had a 8 grade education but was smart beyond ways that I did not learn as well as I should.

hurleyjd":3ezxnjzz said:
My Father was a watermelon farmer through the fifties and early sixties. He finally quit. He sold many a hundred pounds of the black diamond of child hood memories for $.50 a hundred pounds. I go through the grocery store today and see a melon that weighs about 25 lbs priced at $6.87 and wonder what if my Father was living to see that. He started a small family dairy in about 1954. A lot of independent truckers that hauled grain and such at that time. In the summer they bought melons from us and hauled north to water melon slicing gardens, Dad asked about Alfalfa hay, the truckers said sure we can get you some. So it was trade for hay and melons some times there was a difference in the price of melons and hay but it seemed that ever one survived. there are lot of stories that I could tell about my Father who was one that if put on a pile of rocks he could find or develop a market. He and my mother worked side by side all of their life. He had a pretty good sized estate when he died that made his four children's lives a little easier. He and my mother only had a 8 grade education but was smart beyond ways that I did not learn as well as I should.

Sounds like he was a hard worker and not scared to stick his neck out and take a chance if it made sense. That's rare today. Years ago I used to work for a man who sounds like your dad. He and his wife were partners in more ways than one and he split everything with her. She, a was super conservative and she'd take her half and corn hole it and he'd take his half and invest in business deals. Sometimes he made a lot of money and sometimes he lost. A few times he lost everything they would start from scratch and start over even though she had enough money stuck back she could have burnt a wet mule with it but they wouldn't touch it because that was their retirement money. They both were rare breeds by today's standards.

Latest posts