B.S. or Fact

Help Support CattleToday:

I would say it's probably true. And before I get hammered for this post let me be clear. I AM A FRIEND OF THE FARMER. I THINK THEY PLAY A VITAL ROLE IN OUR COUNTRY. I HAVE MANY CLOSE FRIENDS WHO ARE ROW CROP FARMERS.

All my life I've heard farmers poor mouth and bellyache. Yet I've watched them buy more and more land. Constantly buying it, cleaning it up, putting up more pivots. You can't compete with them around here. They live in the biggest houses, garages, and swimming pools. They drive new trucks every other year. Their wife gets a new SUV every year. They have the biggest, nicest R series tractors and turbo tills, combines, cotton pickers, utvs, etc. some have a lot of debt. Some have very little. My point is, if things are so tough, who's paying for all this stuff? I know some still work hard and I personally hope they all make millions. I like to see people do good. Farmers in my area are doing fine. The ones that aren't can be attributed to poor management. But they still poor mouth.

Proof is in the pudding.

JMJ Farms":jpl7iril said:
I would say it's probably true. And before I get hammered for this post let me be clear. I AM A FRIEND OF THE FARMER. I THINK THEY PLAY A VITAL ROLE IN OUR COUNTRY. I HAVE MANY CLOSE FRIENDS WHO ARE ROW CROP FARMERS.

All my life I've heard farmers poor mouth and bellyache. Yet I've watched them buy more and more land. Constantly buying it, cleaning it up, putting up more pivots. You can't compete with them around here. They live in the biggest houses, garages, and swimming pools. They drive new trucks every other year. Their wife gets a new SUV every year. They have the biggest, nicest R series tractors and turbo tills, combines, cotton pickers, utvs, etc. some have a lot of debt. Some have very little. My point is, if things are so tough, who's paying for all this stuff? I know some still work hard and I personally hope they all make millions. I like to see people do good. Farmers in my area are doing fine. The ones that aren't can be attributed to poor management. But they still poor mouth.

Proof is in the pudding.

Mike

I think a lot of them are sitting on huge debts. Our nation looks rich too but that is also a function of huge annual inflows of barrowed money. As long as there is sufficient cash flow to service the debt, it is a thrill looking like you are rich.

Yahoo is a liberal web service provider based in Kalifornia. The company has recently been involved in several lawsuits claiming sexual discrimination against white males. Nebraska has it's own problems with their property taxes. They're the 7th highest in the Nation. I believe these tariffs are necessary. We can't keep being shorted while allowing other countries to benefit financially from our loss. It's sorta like your neighbor borrowing your tools and never returning them. You go to get them back and he wants to sell them to you.

Bright Raven":c8r7luwj said:
JMJ Farms":c8r7luwj said:

Proof is in the pudding.

Mike

I think a lot of them are sitting on huge debts. Our nation looks rich too but that is also a function of huge annual inflows of barrowed money. As long as there is sufficient cash flow to service the debt, it is a thrill looking like you are rich.

You've still got to be making a boat load of money to cover the mortgage on all that land, the leases, and the loan on a new combine that cost you $300K. In America we've come to expect that our year-to-year profit is going to continue to grow and we'll never hit a rough patch. I think a lot of younger folks are learning the hard way that some years are going to be pretty hard.

Row crop farmers are hurting now because of the uncertainty in the market (they are losing profits right now). However, I saw this from the farm Journal earlier:

Recently China announced they are going to zero tariffs on some Asian countries when it comes to soybean imports. Many analysts including Nellinger and Flory say that will likely result in those countries becoming hubs for soybean imports from the U.S.

"They're gonna keep buying beans," Flory said adding that U.S. soybeans will just flow through other countries. "I mean, hello, the Philippines, you're a hub."

In addition, China is going to reimburse companies the tariff on soybeans bought to go into government reserves. Those reasons combined with more than a $1 advantage over Brazil on soybean prices are leading analysts to believe tomorrow's report could turn out to be underwhelming.

"So it may not be as big of a change [as we thought it might be]," Nellinger said.

Lobster processors, however, are laying off lots of workers because of the new 40% Chinese tariff's on lobster. Canada is already taking over that market.

So instead of laying off the lobster processors why not sell us poor Americans some lobster for what you sell it to the Chinese?......

SYP lumber prices have been artificially suppressed for years because Canada gives standing timber to loggers to harvest and then that white wood is a direct market competitor here in the US when imported. In China, a company can move there but cannot own the majority of the facilities from what I have read. I had a cousin's husband who worked for a major textile manufacturer. He traveled to China often on business. In the front of manufacturing plants were the actual purchased and patented industrial equipment. In the back, not to be seen, were the many many bootleg copies of the same machinery that were made in China outside of the patent rights. Same deal with China sending people over to steal breeder corn and such. There was a financial trick that BMW was using a few years ago in their plant at Greenville, SC. Some parts were flown in for a stated high cost, the cars were built using those parts and then the taxable amount of finished car sales was artificially low because the total costs of the imported parts. At one time the BMW plant had never paid taxes because of "losses" but nobody would say anything because of their pay of salaries and use of locally made parts. The tariffs are not a long term goal for the administration - my opinion. Level the playing field and then the tariffs will drop. It is a growing pain, a step, to find fairness in the marketplace. Been allowed to go bad for too long.

Stumpage prices on pine pulpwood here are around $10-11/ton right now. A 2x4x16 at the builders supply is $11. I know that a 2x4 doesn't come from
pulpwood. Only used as an illustration. As Ebenezer mentioned, for this to change we've got to stop Canada from importing this cheap wood into the US. Things may have to get worse before they get better. It didn't get screwed up overnight and it's not gonna get fixed overnight. Buts it's got to start somewhere and I think these various tariffs are a good place to start.

Anybody that owns a business that is in competition with other store front companies should know how farmers operate. Believe it or not it's possible to run through $15-20 million a year and only get to keep a hundred K or even take a loss. I live in a farming community and I see some go broke and some do well. Unlike the cattle business farming is a go big or go home game now. All that equipment is a cost of doing business thing, no different than the old boy mowing yards that ends up with 3-4 $8,000 lawn mowers so he can keep up with his competition.

JMJ Farms":4i4nfljp said:
Stumpage prices on pine pulpwood here are around $10-11/ton right now. A 2x4x16 at the builders supply is $11. I know that a 2x4 doesn't come from
pulpwood. Only used as an illustration. As Ebenezer mentioned, for this to change we've got to stop Canada from importing this cheap wood into the US. Things may have to get worse before they get better. It didn't get screwed up overnight and it's not gonna get fixed overnight. Buts it's got to start somewhere and I think these various tariffs are a good place to start.

We started a home remodel in Dec last year. Set aside $125000 for the remodel and because of the tariffs the cost ballooned to $150000. Southern Yellow pine is a pretty sorry lumber to use for construction. Better used as pulp wood for paper. Splits and warps to easy.

Bestoutwest":36r4np9s said:
Bright Raven":36r4np9s said:
JMJ Farms":36r4np9s said:

Proof is in the pudding.

Mike

You've still got to be making a boat load of money to cover the mortgage on all that land, the leases, and the loan on a new combine that cost you $300K. In America we've come to expect that our year-to-year profit is going to continue to grow and we'll never hit a rough patch. I think a lot of younger folks are learning the hard way that some years are going to be pretty hard.
Looks like corn prices down here are up considerably over the past few years. Farmers that have a good corn crop should make money....and don't forget that good ol' crop insurance. Saw some fields the other day that had just been cut adn they all had that four rows in the middle of the field that belong to the insurance man. :banana:

TexasBred":1e45rxc2 said:
Looks like corn prices down here are up considerably over the past few years. Farmers that have a good corn crop should make money....and don't forget that good ol' crop insurance. Saw some fields the other day that had just been cut adn they all had that four rows in the middle of the field that belong to the insurance man. :banana:
I saw some covered piles of chopped corn near Hillsboro a few weeks ago. Also hear nitrates are exceptionally high.

JMJ Farms":26qir3ik said:

Proof is in the pudding.
I know those same farmers, what puzzles me most is those that have the most get the most subsidies.

True Grit Farms":3u7m7cw5 said:
JMJ Farms":3u7m7cw5 said:

Proof is in the pudding.
I know those same farmers, what puzzles me most is those that have the most get the most subsidies.

If you're gonna play the game it pays to know the rules.

JMJ Farms":23ybijkk said:

8.30 for one here .. cut and sawn in the USA.

i did buy some pine the other day.. and it was from new zealand.. and all the Lowes lumber around here comes from overseas. I go to menards.. USA lumber, and the best price.

Any farmer that is in a pickle right now have brought it about on them selves. They had no problem taking money from the banks and government, and now have bought themselves into a corner. They aslo thought corn and soybeans was the only way to make money, so they tore down their fences and plowed up their pastures.
Maybe now the land prices will go down, and those of us that didn't play it dumb can buy something now.

1982vett":25nc60wf said:
TexasBred":25nc60wf said:
I saw some covered piles of chopped corn near Hillsboro a few weeks ago. Also hear nitrates are exceptionally high.
Haven't seen it this year but they've been cutting a huge percentage of the corn over in that area for silage the last 10 years or more. Ensiling process will reduce any nitrates considerably so hopefully won't be a problem. What little corn I've seen down around Waco looked pretty pitiful.

Latest posts