Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Gotta look at ya'lls Miss Universe Contestant and she ain't bad looking at all. She is going to have a little trouble beating Miss Dominican Republic but I think she will be in the top 5. JMO

Been busy as usual. Working off farm and on farm. Getting some nice South Devon calves. Some sire potential calves all by our good home bred polled bull. 90% bulls so far. Hope that changes soon as I'm going to use another of our polled bulls this coming breeding season,so I may not use the previous bull again in the purebred herd.So I'd like as many heifers as I can get. Got a nice drop so far from our first calf heifers by our scurred red Brahman bull,these are a mix of high content Brahman heifer with a mix of South Devon crosses. Our Hereford heifer and pure SD heifers are yet to start. They are in calf to a red polled Brahman,expect they will be good,had a great line of calves last year by this sire.
Weather is still quite mild for winter. Down to about the zero mark overnight,minus two yesterday morning. Could get another cold burst in a few days.
Colin :wave:

Australian Cattleman":kbwj9htz said:
Just heard Miss Venezuela won Miss Universe.

Yeah. She was pretty but I liked ya'lls homegrown girl best. She looked down to earth and wholesome. Had a natural beauty to her. Didn't look fake. Seemed to be the judges were somewhat biased toward the latin american girls.

edit - ours tripped on her dress and fell down. Same thing happened last year I'm pretty sure. Guess we are going to have to teach em to walk next year.

Been a miserable cold cloudy day here.No rain just cold. Been distributing a few round bales out and about. The bull calves still keep coming in the South Devon herd. So far have 10 pure calves born eight of those are bulls. All look like bulls too. Still have 60 cows and heifers to calve in that breed.
Thinking about getting a show team together for a few coastal Spring shows.
Our grandaughter was home for a week,it was great to see her,she's growing up,now 14 months old. Boy she is active. Born a month premi. Wanted to get here early as she had things to do. They are moving about an hour further north to the northern suburbs of Brisbane from the southern suburbs. Might not see them quite as often.Been darn busy at work. flat out with triage 1's and 2's, (they are the really urgent ones that come into the emergency department of our hospital) We have hardly finished with one case and there's another on the doorstep. Still get the time wasters though.
Colin

Been a darn cool day,never got over 10 for the day. Its 4 now with the threat of snow and sleet for our region tomorrow. The cattle look cold this afternoon,especially the Brahmans. The Brahmans are all lying around close together to keep warm. Off to pick up another ute (pickup to the US people) tomorrow, an update on the one we have ( we plan to keep the older one as a backup) Gone down to 3c since I started typing.
Colin 8)

Big frost here this morning,down to minus 7. Minus 9 at Glen Innes about 100 ks south of our place. Shaping up for another big minus in the morning.On night duty at the minute,two more nights after tonight. Been busy,one cardiac arrest last night and a hospital full of non sick people.Sure amazes me the people that just love being in hospital. Many never question the doctor as to why they need to be there. Many of our doctors are foreign and very money hungry.

Hi all
Well it looks like it's been pretty quiet on here since I last checked in. I'm now in NSW, let me tell you, ir's a bit different!
Just wondering if anyone would know of any cattle agistment near North Richmond? I'm here, now I just need to find somewhere for my wards!
Anyway, hope everyone's well.
Cheers
Carla

I'm about 800ks from North Richmond. Next door has some agistment available.Perhaps you could advertise in the "Land". Jokes aside. Welcome to NSW. Its been darn cold we have had about 20 frosts in a row now and no rain. Don't want too much yet till it warms up a bit.Feeding out hay since it turned colder. Winter was very mild for a start but its changed the last part.Cows are calving well. Have a stack of Angus cross calves from our former sneaky Angus bull. He's got to a fair few of our stud Brahmans so far and had a little visit to our South Devons as well.Used to go through fences and over them despite electrification.Anyway he's gone to the works.
Cheers Colin

Had some nice storms. Had just under an inch the past 5 days. About three frosts the last week. On darn night duty again. Bought a few more chooks last Sunday at Lismore 160ks away to our east. We bought three mixed Pekin hens.Prices were a bit too high for some of the quality. Off to another sale in three weeks to our north about and hour and a half away. The rain will pep up our country especially if the frosts ease up.
Colin

Glad to hear you've had some rain and its greening up Colin. Friends at Tenterfield have had good rain also, about 3 inches in the last ten days and are very happy. A couple of showers here this morning but, as you would know, there was good rain down around Charleville etc.
We're glad the cold winter is drawing to a close.....hope some good storms are not too far away for us, we need them badly.
We're off to Townsville tomorrow to get ready for our older son's wedding on Magnetic Island on Saturday. We'll be back again Monday and need to get straight into cattlework again. The first calf charolais heifers agisted 2 hours N of here badly need their angus calves taken off. There's 100 mature age cows there too which we will also process.
Then we'll be off to Tambo to muster and wean the 500 there. They seem to be doing okay despite battling extreme cold, the week before last was a doozy. The main herd, over at Winton, is doing well, being fed dry lick and some blocks. Our molasses facilities, both here and Winton, are full but we haven't felt the need to start on it yet. We have very little grass here but it does have a vague green shoot through it so they're getting protein. Lick is around $900 a tonne - thank goodness we don't have to feed it year round!
I have the stud charolais cows stuck down in a paddock about 25kms from the house here but it actually has a bit of feed and they're hanging on very well, looking great in fact. Those stud cows are tough as - very big girls but they seem to hang in there, and always walk out well which is surprising, as quite a few are ex-show cows from down south. When the grass finally gives out, we'll start making up batches in the Kuhne feed mixer and cart that to them. We didn't get to Palgrove but a neighbour bought one of the pricier Bova Sylvain bulls and it will be interesting to see him.
We've been selling some bigger steers and other stuff through the last few Longreach sales and have been very pleased with the prices. Hope this rain brings out some store buyers as we have a line of brahman cows, calved and calfy to charolais, to go as soon as we can get them organised.
The 3 senepol bulls settled in well with their heifers. We drafted the mob in half, mainly on colour for want of any other reason. The senepol boys have the white girls and the 4 angus bulls have the gold girls. We really need another senepol bull or two in the white mob but 3 will just have to do for the time being.
That's about all the news from here. Hope we have some rain to report before too long. Cheers to all

The weathers starting to warm up. Top of 25c yesterday,mowed some of the lawn have the rest to do before I work this afternoon at my other job. The country is greening up nicely.Bought a new red Brahman sire last week, mainly old Australian bloodlines,got him for a measly $2500,couldn't wait till Brahman week (its too late for us in these parts) Bought a dark red 11 month old heifer as well for $800. She's dog quiet as is the bull. Top price at the sale was $16,000 for a polled red Brahman bull. (didn't like him that much too loose in the sheath,could have problems in the future). Top female price was red polled Brahman at $4,000. Lots of good grey bulls that didn't sell. (will need a grey bull next year) Going to AI all my elite little herd of greys to an Australian bull called Bizzy Bonno. (bad photo of him at the AI centre) will try and master posting some photos soon on this site.
Colin

Well G'day everyone.

Long time, no chat.

How are ya all for a start?

I've been so busy with school this year, Year 12, so much fun, NOT! And we've been having lots of computer troubles, hence why I haven't been on for a while.
Still haven't got a job, legally, lol, been doing a bit of work here and there, but school's pretty much taken over everything. But only a couple of months til I finish now, can't wait! On holidays as of Friday aswell. Finally, this term has seemed so long.

Been to a few shows this year, only watching though, haven't shown at any, unfortunately.
Went to Ekka, saw the Charolias Senior Bull judging, and the Angus Junior Bull judging, as I had mates in both those. from what I could see, Ekka was pretty good this year.

So, not showing at the moment but hopefully getting back into that saddle next year, my uncle just recently got some Dexters, much to my dismay :lol: And chances are I'll be showing for him next year, with both his Dexters and his Draught Horses.
Also hoping to get a job out west next year, or up north, now I've finished my traineeship.

Hopefully heading back up to the (Charters)Towers soon, might try looking for a job when I'm up there.
Anyone heading to Beef at Rocky next year?
So far I'm planning to go up, whether I'm showing or not, we've got friends living at Gracemere, so if I'm not working, I'll treat it as a bit of a holiday.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well, I better stop talking now, got more assignments to do :roll:
So I'll catch ya's all later.

Welcome back. Not sure bout Beef 2009. Would like to show some South Devons. Been a bit slack on the show scene of late. One SD heifer at the Ekka. Went down the paddock this arvo and found one of my good old 3/4 SD cows dead,sh'ed died calving by the look of it. Lo and behold wandering not far away were two heifers. Both very small. Bought them home and gave them a bottle of milk each. Sucking so well,will give them another drink later tonight.Now have four heifers to poddy.One Brahman cross and a Holstein,these two are doing well.
Colin

How are your twin calves doing, Colin?
We've actually got some green pick - we had 30mm while we were away at the wedding and then another 23mm weekend before this last one. Most of the place had less than around the house unfortunately, but there's still a green haze over most of it. The cattle are all out chasing it and their dead winter coats are coming out which will make them look a whole lot better. We've really had a doing with lice this year.
Some of the country north of here that had the huge rain early last summer has now fallen in a big hole and there's some very poor cattle (many of whom were there on agistment) coming out of it. Happily though, others have scored a storm already to green them up.
Last week there were thousands of ibis circling around here (well, I hope they were ibis, not vultures!). They didn't choose to land just here but I think they are a wonderful sign of a good wet approaching. Haven't seen them like that for many years.
We've still been selling cattle through Longreach each week. 10 year old charolais cows going this week - we hate parting with the good old girls. Sold a mob of the brahmans last week - a couple of the stud cows really stirred up, even though they were quiet enough at home. Livened the yard workers up, they reckoned.

Twins are doing well. The smallest of the two was touch and go for a couple of days. Both are great now.The tiny one is catching up to her sister. Had a noisy storm early this morning,dumped 15mls. Its green and clover coming away. Best its been for years.The coats of the cattle like yours are falling out and becoming sleeker. We had a lice problem too. Getting better now.Our new bull is doing well,getting about the Brahman girls.Will brand in the next month at our other block 11ks away. Have 100 Hereford calves with a few SD and Brahman and Angus cross to do. The calves at home about another 120 will be done early November.These are mostly stud ones of SDs and Brahman (more Brangus types due to our former lazy Brahman sire and the eager paddock hopping Angus that we had)
Warm here today. Top of 26 which is warmish for us. Threats of storms again. Long as the frosts keep away.
Colin

Well now the waterhens have arrived and are strutting around the garden. That is about the best sign I know of that a good wet season is approaching.....very early for waterhens to be here though, it's usually November.
I hope the monsoon season isn't going to start very early and be over early too!
The big old white charolais girls sold very well at the sale today. I was in town but didn't go out to see them.
The top pen of 16 made just on $1000 and the whole lot av just under $900. They weren't fat either. All are off to the meatworks of course but we console ourselves that they have plenty of daughters coming up through the herd. Up until recently, we've been building our cattle numbers up and scaling down our sheep.
We've just about finished that process now. I wonder how the Rocky sales are going?
The dust cleared today and it's still nice and cool.

I was told this evening that the charbray and charolais sales at Rocky today and yesterday were very tough indeed.
Both breeds had a clearance of only just over 50%. Chars av about $3000 and the Charbs about $4000.
I havent heard if other breeds have fared better. Too many Char bulls around I think.