Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Rain started last night,had 18mls overnight then another 20mls today. Expect upwards of 50+mls the next couple of days if the forecasts correct. The grass is growing before your eyes. We've had over 31 inches for the year so far. Have about 4 to go till we get to our supposed average.
Yards are muddy. Good thing I mowed the lawn yesterday.
Colin

Wow, we havent had to mow the lawn for months :shock:

Glad things are going well for you colin.

They reckon we are going to get the big rains that hit NT and QLD in the next few days. Fingers crossed.

Weaning my kids today @ 2 mths, kinda early I normally leave them until 3, but I have these buyers coming out in the next few weeks so ... they are all eating feed so its not gonna be too bad on them.

I realised yesterday that one of the kids, a really good pedigree kid with fantastic parents, the only angora buck kid I was going to keep a buck ... well I realised just why he is so much smaller than the others. He dislocated his hip at 1 wk old, and I figured that was why he was small because he was still recovering. But the other day I was thinking, hang on, he's been walking fine for about four weeks, and he still hasnt grown at all. Well, I caught his mum and ... she's dry. I'm thinking she's probably been dry for about 4 weeks ... poor little tacker has been surviving on dry grass and a bit of pellets ... not much since my 6 yr old doe broke the creep feeder so he hasnt been able to get into that, just what he manages to get around the big does ... will have to see how he goes after weaning, but I might have to ring him after all.

Two exams down, one to go.

Better get moving, get the weaning, vacc, castrate, drenching done and then start studying again!

Rain again in a storm, 18mls this time. Another storm coming from the west with lots of rain in it. The gully below our house is roaring over the rocks. About two feet below our pump. Here's hoping I don't have to shift it. I bet there's a few of our internal fences gone this time. Anyway had nothing else to do only sleep after night duty tonight. Thems the breaks for living out in the country.
Colin

Weird weather here in Australia this past week. Severe flooding in Southern Queensland and eastern Victoria. This morning there is snow in parts of the high country of NSW and Victoria. Tasmania has had a dusting as well. Cool down to 3c here this morning and very very windy. We are just a breath away from Summer. Will have work to do on our cattleyards after the storm a couple of days ago. lost a large tree which crushed two steel gates and a few wooden rails. Thems the breaks living in the bush.
Colin

Very very windy here today. hasn't let up this evening. Feels like there could be a frost if the wind drops. Snowed around Orange and Oberon last night. Could very well have been some around Guyra and Ben Lomond (between Glen Innes and Armidale).
Hope it warms up soon. Went for a look around paddock near house that has the most trees in it. Found one big gum over our neighbours fence. Wires not broken so cattle can't get out. Inside early this arvo,too cold to stay out.
Colin

My doe that prolapsed a while back has prolapsed again this morning, for the third time :cry2: so off to the vet again. She has also had a really really bad dose of preg tox, so I have been nursing her along for the last 2 weeks. She has now reached the 'safe' zone where the kids should be viable. So not sure whether we will induce ... or not ... will talk to the vet about our options.

Still got horrible winds and freezing cold but I think we have had a grand total of 2 ml over the last three days :frowns: maybe I should drive up to Brissie with a heap of buckets on the back of the truck, and bring the water back down lol

Doe is now walking around with a ewe bearing retainer tied to a maze of baling twine tied to a dog harness, to try and keep everything in. She ripped the purse string out and didnt leave enough vulva there to do it again. But she's good now, just a little pee'd off. Oh boy I cant wait till she kids. The first time was 7 weeks ago, it has been a long 7 weeks. Just hope there's a doe in there to retain cos this one's going to Wodonga abs once the kids are weaned.

Had another 15mls overnight. Fine and the sun is just starting to come through. Expect thunderstorms and more heavy rain in the next few days. Its so green and fresh. I can hear the gully below our house running over the rocks in it.
Heres hoping we have continued good weather over summer and autumn (this is our rainy time supposedly). For the past few years we have reasonable rain in summer then it forgets to rain for 6 or so weeks at the end and we are off to a bad start for winter. We have a shorter growing time up here in the mountains compared to the warmer areas.
Colin

Another 40 mls overnight. Gullies are running a banker. Had 2 inches in our little town last night. Very heavy rain. Water over a couple of the town's bridges. Floodgates will be gone again. We are almost up to 1,000 mls or 40 inches for the year.
Lawns growing mad. Will need to mow in the next couple of days.
Colin

Had 2 ml overnight not much

Plenty of green grass

Just finished yesterday with all the hay in the shed now, its looking good
Mitch

Latest posts