Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beautiful winters day here today. About 16/17 degrees.Big frost yesterday morning down to minus 4 but this morning was warmer at minus 2.Went to a Brahman open day yesterday at a friends place. Haven't visited their place for about15years. Boy have their cattle improved. Have some great red bulls for Rockhampton Brahman week in October. I exceptionally good one by Winchester Magnum ( a red US import semen) Sure to make at least $20,000. They sold bulls to $25,000 last year. Seen their bull that they bought for $65,000 (in partnership). He's a big rangey,long bull that is heavy boned. Most of his progeny were darn good too.Came home and looked at our red herd and was not disappointed at all. We have a pretty darn good herd of reds and some nice young polled bulls on the rise.I used to be disappointed after a visit to other herds but now I appreciate our herd after 35 years of build up. be pleased when I get rid of dial up and can quickly send photos to all on the board of our herd. :)
Colin

Hi all, I havent looked on here for a while so was pleased to see some news.
We had 92pts of rain here for that last event, only enough to do damage to the standing dry grass. Nothing at our Winton place so that was actually better! It's been lovely warm weather mainly, up around 28 degrees, until today and yesterday which are much colder. Another rain event passing through to the south of us probably later in the week.
We shifted 200 cows and their calves to agistment out of Muttaburra, a good paddock with a creek and it hasnt had stock in it all summer, as well as some good heavy rain. They should be right in there for a few months. In two weeks time we have to shift 700 head of cows and their calves from north of Barcaldine. 500 are going to Tambo - very cold country - just as well they're mainly charolais and have some hair! Having said that, the neighbours down there have good brahmans and they do just fine. The Tambo agistment country had over 2 inches which greened up the buffel grass very well but they're not sure what the frost will do to it.
Then the stud cows and calves are coming back here, and the balance going to Winton. We're selling some really nice pregnant santa cows and a line of brahman cows and calves in Longreach sale on Wednesday to make some room at Winton for them. A shame but something has to give....
We did get to Farmfest on the Wednesday as we went to Toowoomba to collect a new and bigger truck. We need to cart more of our own with these high fuel prices! We enjoyed the day there as we don't often get to check out things like that.
Must away! Cheers and keep warm down there you southern folk...... I saw on the TV about the floods in the US and really feel for those people

Well, I drove for 19 hours yesterday. Went up to Brandy Hill, near Raymond Terrace north of Newcastle to pick up my new British Alpine doe.

Tell you what, she is the sweetest goat, and such a dag. I picked her up in my nissan pulsar (cheaper than the station wagon and trailer) and she was quite happy to sit on the backseat. But when she stood up she stuck her head between the two front seats and looked out the windscreen. And when she got sick of that she put her head in between my seat and the door and looked through there. And at one point she rested her head on my headrest and blew in my hair. When I pulled over at Gundagai for a snooze I woke up to her nuzzling my ear. Oh boy, its a long 9 hour drive on the way up but its longer on the way back with a goat :lol2:

I'm so glad I got her though. The hope is to join her and get at least one doe kid from her - she didnt breed at the dairy last time they tried which is why I got her cheap. She's a show winning goat and also won milk tests. A very good goat.

And if she doesnt breed, I think I'm going to keep her anyway. I am involved with local volunteers doing animal/pet therapy around hospitals, schools and nursing homes. I have been intending to get my wethers registered but at the moment they are just too full on - they need a few years to mature and settle down. This doe is going to make an excellent animal therapy volunteer. She just loves people and she's so quite, she just quietly walks over to you, stands next to you, and will have pats all day. And as a bonus she travels in the car.

I have three little angora does to pick up from Benalla, a nine month old and two 18 month olds for $40 each I really cant go wrong. Only problem is, the bloke has a dozen more 18 mth does and a couple more 9 mth kids. :oops: I'd love to take more but I dont have the land!! :help:

Sounds like a nice little goat. good on you for visiting as a volunteer. I've taken my Brahman bull to the nursing home that I once worked at,the elderly loved him.I sometimes take our Shih Tzus into the hospital where I work to show any favourite patients or ones that appreciate seeing them. I have an aunty that lives near Raymond Terrace,they have horses and birds and a few cattle. I have a friend that used to breed Anglo Nubian goats. I really liked them as they reminded me a bit of Brahmans with their long pendulous ears. Cool here again tonight. light frost this morning,probably be the same in the morning. Off to Guyra on Wednesday morning to pick up our new gold laced bantams. Its about an hour and three quarter drive to our south. Back to work Wednesday night for night duty (start 10.45 pm and finish at 7.15 am) have to go to Warwick about an hour and a half north Thursday afternoon for an appointment. So I might be a bit tired for work on Thursday night,hope I'm busy will help keep me awake.
Colin

Picked up the new gold laced bantams. Got 6 nice hens and 4 roosters. 3 roosters came for free (they are darn good ones too) Gold laced bantams are fairly hard to find so we were pleased to find a breeder of them. Two of hens layed on the way up the mountain. Look forward to seeing them in the morning in the daylight.
Colin :)

Well finally back from my wild trip east. Was a very successful one too, we topped at $15k (with the roan bull I posted a while back) and averaged $7375, I think 2nd or 3rd highest average. Was a tough sale, so I'm really pleased with our results. 2 bulls went to studs, and my roan fella was reserve division champ to the grand... and it really could have gone either way. If there was a reserve grand our fella had it stitched up. He turned a few heads so hopefully everyone will remember him! His stats were 950kgs, 17/9 fat, 135 EMA and 41cm scrotal, and 22.5months old.
Sorry, I'm babbling!!
Anyway, now back home again. We need a rain. Got in heifers for the heifer show, which is 3 weeks from now. I suppose I better break them in!!
That's all for now.
Carla

PS- Colin, did I see you in The Land this week??

Yes that was my wife Helen and I having a look at the Bizzy Brahman Bulls. They are very nice,great temperament and great colour. I don't participate in the land beef week because its not at a good time up in the mountains,with its variable weather. The last time I participated was three years ago and the temp got to a high of 7c,with sleet and cold wind.I asked The Land to strongly consider moving the week forward about 6 weeks. The weather is usually much much nicer. But alas they know better. Interesting though I have spoken to other more significant cattle breeders than us and they have made requests to alter the week as well. I have had our own on farm day in February which was great. The cattle look sleek and shiny and the weathers beaut. Anyway thats enough. Congratulations on Dubbo. Who bought your good bull?
Colin

Eather's, of Doolibah Shorthorns, Merriwah, bought the roan fella. Interestingly, all of our bulls sold to interstate, which is a real change. Generally alot of SA bred bulls come back to SA.

I thought it might be you in the paper when I read the description, and saw you were at Bizzy. :D

well done on your sales, question have you ever lived in victoria ?? or what is your stud name . my handle gives me away if you know me hoping to hear. brightspark.

brightspark,

No, never lived in Victoria. I'm in the south east of SA, the stud I work for is Belmore. My own stud is Killala (which you probably haven't heard of!) And sorry, I don't know who you are!!

Frost here again this morning. Still no miserable days so far this winter. Its been so mild.Waiting with baited breath for some Brahman calves to start arriving from some of the new greys that I bought. Some by homebred bulls and another by a US grey. Have a couple of pet red ones due to calve to a young red polled Brahman bull. Haven't had any pure calves born by him yet. They should be good if his crossbred ones were anything to go by. Polled and with plenty of fleshing and bone.Have to go and check the heifers this morning,Brahman,South Devon and Hereford cross mainly with the odd pure SD amongst them.Have thirty of them in calf to two different red Brahmans.Have another 35 heifers to join soon in two lots. One group of 15 (pure SDs) will have a South Brahvon bull put with them and the other 20 ( a mix of Hereford,SD cross and Droughtmaster)will have a grey Brahman put with them.
Till next time
Colin.

sorry , know woman with simalar name who breeds shorthorns as well,,valley veiw,, coln hope to get to your place some time just had daughters 21st and horse shows to contend with but will make it one day soon. ern.

The lawns crackling with frost at 11.25 tonight. A big white one in the morning. Had a minus 6C yesterday but a warm minus 2C this morning.The days have been beautiful with temps up to 19/20C. Seen a darn Dingo lurking near our new calves at our country a few ks from home. Didn't have the gun. Neighbours have been after about three Dingos for about a month now. They are very cunning. Off to a poultry show tomorrow in Tenterfield. Not showing any poultry yet. Will have Silver and Gold laced Wyandottes and some Anconas in the future and maybe an Australorp as well. Might try and buy an Ancona rooster tomorrow. Might try and get a Pekin bantam hen or two.
Better go to bed or I'll not get to the show.
Colin

Well I thought someone better bump this up!
Been doing some work on our heifer show girls this week, it starts on the 14th so thought I better get cracking! Can't believe how well-behaved they're being, very sensible young ladies. I just hope they keep it up!
Got offered a job at The Land today :D ... think I'm going to take it. Got a few mixed feelings bout it though :| ... really excited for the 'seachange' and opportunities I'm going to get, but sad to be leaving where I work now and to be moving away from my family. I think in the long term it's all going to pay off though. So now I've got a month to totally change my life and move east! Talk about moving quick!
I think that's about it for now. Still flat out feeding, though we did get 18mm the other night which was a relief. We still need a he!! of a lot more though.
Bye for now
Carla

5 to 12 today with misty rain. Clear up a bit tomorrow then heavier stuff Monday/Tuesday. Waiting with baited breath for one of our favourite Brahman cows to calve. Bet she calves when its wet and miserable. She's a pet,that was bucket reared, a big red cow thats quiet like a dog. One of our freeloading dogs ( a Weimaraner/Ridgeback cross) loves to lie down in the paddock with her. He never ever chases her or she never bothers him either even when she has a calf. Anyone can walk up to her a touch her calf. She'll no doubt calve when we are away over the next two days at our grand daughter's christening.

Our cow calved, dingoes or foxes took the calf. She was calving as we left. A friend checked on her about 2 hours later to find the calf half devoured. Bought another calf to foster on to her but she doesn't want to take it.Its a nice Holstein heifer who is only a few days old. Went to Warwick (over the border) today and paid a whole $34 for her. There were Jersey bull calves that made $5. We've given her a bottle of milk and put her in the shed because we've already had sleet and possible snow tonight. A top of 8C today,and a wind chill of 0.
Colin

Latest posts