Aureomycin for Late Gestation Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I cannot find anything that says Aureomycin Crumbles are unsafe to feed to a heifer in very late gestation concerning the calf or the milk that the calf will drink. Has anyone else heard different?
Chuckie

No contraindications that I can think of.
Is there some particular reason why this heifer needs to be fed Aureomycin(chlortetracycline)?

A heifer was here with mastitis, and I am afraid that it could have been passed through the salava, bacteria, and the other heifers may have subclinical mastitis. I would just like to treat the heifers here, to be on the safe side. After reading what it can do to the calves if they drink the milk, and all the other problems the bacteria causes for the cow, even death if it advances, it seems like it might be a cheap prevention.
Chuckie

Chuckie":1255mge3 said:
A heifer was here with mastitis, and I am afraid that it could have been passed through the salava, bacteria, and the other heifers may have subclinical mastitis. I would just like to treat the heifers here, to be on the safe side. After reading what it can do to the calves if they drink the milk, and all the other problems the bacteria causes for the cow, even death if it advances, it seems like it might be a cheap prevention.
Chuckie
Worthless for much of anything much worse than a cough.

Dang it, they write articles about treating non-lactating cattle with mastitis with it.
I did not know that mastitis was a bacteria that was passed through the herd. From what I am reading; Some of the beef cattle have it, and you never know it because you don't run milk cultures on them, like the dairy farmers do. If a cow has subclinical mastitis, where the udder does not swell, and the farmer never knows there is a problem; the calf drinks the milk, it makes him sick, and he doesn't finish off very well, and her milk production is poor. It damages the colostrum and the calf does not receive the needed nutrients and antibodies from the milk. The calf may finish off 200lbs less than the calf, the year before, and think that it was just a bad calf. But if the cow is not treated, then, everything goes downhill after that.
I have not had any trouble with mastitis before. So, I am trying to get ahead of the problem.

Chuckie

I'm not buying all(and not many of) the premises 'they' put forward. Have you got a link to that article?

Lucky_P":36kcurab said:
I'm not buying all(and not many of) the premises 'they' put forward. Have you got a link to that article?

Agreed. It sounds an awful lot like the sky is falling.

Chuckie mastitis is not that rampant in beef cattle as it is in dairy cattle. Most in dairy cattle is transferred via hundreds if not thousands of cattle being run thru the same milking parlor without proper sanitation measures being in place as well as often being confined to unsanitary housing. EVERY dairy will always have some clinical and subclinical mastitis. As for the calf, don't worry about hi either. A calf nursing a cow with mastitis actually aids the cow in producing antibodies to fight off the bacterial infection. Thousands of dairy calves are raised on milk taken from mastitis infected cattle. Treat the one cow you have that may be infected and let the others enjoy life.

Cows have four teats and one calf for a reason. Baby can pick and choose while mommy gets over her infection. Personally, I'd worry alot more about antibiotic residue/resistance than I would about a case of mastitis that isn't even here yet.
Since you're going to compare yourself to a dairy herd, take a tip from the dairymen: Nutrition is the key to just about everything. :nod: If you're really worried, put out the right minerals and make sure they stay in good condition and you can solve it before it starts.

Also, since you got my brain moving... Beef cattle have been genetically culled for years for things like mastitis. A range cow won't get antibiotics if she gets severe mastitis, she just dies and her genetics are removed from the gene pool. With dairy cattle, we continue to improve on our ability to kill mastitis and save cows that should be removed from the gene pool and then perpetuate the problem by keeping females out of problem cows.
Your best bet for a healthy herd in the future is to leave them alone until it's life threatening and then treat and cull the calf later.

cow pollinater":1bn42og9 said:
Also, since you got my brain moving... Beef cattle have been genetically culled for years for things like mastitis. A range cow won't get antibiotics if she gets severe mastitis, she just dies and her genetics are removed from the gene pool. With dairy cattle, we continue to improve on our ability to kill mastitis and save cows that should be removed from the gene pool and then perpetuate the problem by keeping females out of problem cows.
Your best bet for a healthy herd in the future is to leave them alone until it's life threatening and then treat and cull the calf later.
What does the SSC run on a tank of milk out of herd handled this way? I have to disagree with you a bit on this one. I've seen much more environmental mastitis as well as that caused by faulty equipment and employees doing a poor job.

Certainly environment, equipment, and employees play a huge role but when I see cows that have spent half of their five hundred day lactation bouncing back and forth between the AI pen and the hospital while herdmates cruise from the AI string to the pregnant pen in under a hundred days, I can easily point out the problem. It's THAT COW. And since scc is fairly high in heritability, the problem carries over generation after generation unless me and my fantastic lineup intervene :D ... Since that part of the operation is not my problem, I keep my mouth shut and cull them for reproductive problems. Shock and amazement, the same cows that are frequent flyers in the hospital are also problem breeders.
I'll never forget an online class that I took from a big university that I won't name since overall it was a good program. A student had a registered HO cow that had some huge type score with contracts for embryos to one of the big studs (not abs :D) The entire purpose of taking that class for that student was to learn how to either manage that particular cows scc to make it look better or to learn how to dry her off without effecting her reproduction so as to not jepordize her contract potential. The instructers of that particular class were happy to tell just how to "fix" her so that she could stay in service... Made me sick.

TexasBred":1q8axtiu said:
Please explain "500 day lactation" or was that a typo.
Those are cows that never seem to get bred back. They're milked until there isn;t drop left in them, (even though they are eating more grain to make milk then they are paying for with their production)

Dun,
When I was in vet school, back in the Dark Ages, we had a small 35-head dairy herd on the campus - all senior vet students on the dairy rotation had to do a stint doing 2X milkings - and learn to troubleshoot the milking equipment. Then, on to pregnancy diagnosis; there was one cow who'd been 'in milk' for well over 600 days - not because of a fertility problem, per se, but because every time they'd get her in calf, some new vet student would come along and squash the little bugger - they finally put her off-limits to student palpation.

I saw - and still see - an occasional case of mastitis in beef cattle, but nothing like what we encounter in dairy cattle. Certainly, lactating beef cows in a really nasty environment may be subject to coliform mastitis, which is a killer, and we sometimes see mastitis in weaned &/or pre-calving heifers, especially if there's one in the group that's going around sucking others.
But as has been discussed previously, dairy cattle are a whole 'nother ball game. Selection for milk production and not udder health, the tremendous production stress placed on them, the fine line that must be walked between peak production and rumen acidosis all play a role, as does innate resistance. And, improperly-functioning milking equipment can cause a real train-wreck even if udder-sanitation practices are impeccable. If pressures are not right, 'rest' intervals between pulses are not right, it's bad news, and if you walk into a milking parlor and hear a teat liner 'sucking', you can be assured that if that teat is wet or dirty, that the machine is sucking in air, water, manure, etc., and propelling it down into the claw and up into a quarter on the other side - 'impacts' they used to call 'em - and if they occur at the end of the milking cycle, you may have a disaster in the offing.

I wish some of the "supposed" dairymen around here would learn to troubleshoot the equipment. When I was doing the DHIA tech deal I saw some horrendous milking practices.

dun":1gj9868h said:
I wish some of the "supposed" dairymen around here would learn to troubleshoot the equipment. When I was doing the DHIA tech deal I saw some horrendous milking practices.
Management, management, management.....often very poor. As for milking a cow 500-600 days....can't imagine someone allowing a cow to stay in the milk string that long for any reason. I've dried off cattle giving 80 pounds because they were bred and needed their 60 day rest period before freshening.

TexasBred":2zwhn7pe said:
dun":2zwhn7pe said:
Management, management, management.....often very poor. As for milking a cow 500-600 days....can't imagine someone allowing a cow to stay in the milk string that long for any reason. I've dried off cattle giving 80 pounds because they were bred and needed their 60 day rest period before freshening.
Your first 3 words sums it up. But I would preceed it with P POOR

Well, while every ounce of good sense in my body screams that a 500dim cow with frequent flyer miles in the hospital pen is a BAAAD idea, that same customer asked me to breed his three dairies thirteen years ago. The largest of the dairies milked three hundred cows...And now he's milking ten thousand on a brand new facility. The only purchased cows were fifteen hundred heifers and about five hundred milk cows.... He's doing something right. :D
Now that we're off and running we get to do a little cleanup here and there but most of the improvement still comes from bull selection and not culling.

cow pollinater":24944jgm said:
I'll never forget an online class that I took from a big university that I won't name since overall it was a good program. A student had a registered HO cow that had some huge type score with contracts for embryos to one of the big studs (not abs :D) The entire purpose of taking that class for that student was to learn how to either manage that particular cows scc to make it look better or to learn how to dry her off without effecting her reproduction so as to not jepordize her contract potential. The instructers of that particular class were happy to tell just how to "fix" her so that she could stay in service... Made me sick.

Now that I've re-read the thread, I see that I failed to include the main point I was trying to make. That particular cow had severe mastitis in all four quarters for each of her two previous lactations. The rest of the herd didn't have a problem with somatic cell counts, it was just THAT COW and instead of culling they made her a donor cow.

Latest posts