Auction sales

Help Support CattleToday:

Opa

Reaction score
Was at an auction, bought three bred cows, so auctioneer had my name no problems, yet. Then bred cow with calf on ground came thru the ring, won the bid, auctioneer called my name. Then long pause, bred cow with calf was brought back into the ring, seems the wrong calf was paired to the cow. Second cow with calf was brought into ring and the calf's were paired to the correct cows. Not a dimes difference between the calves. Then the cow that I had just bought was "resold" for two hundred dollars more than I just own bid on. Never asked if I still wanted cow/calf.
Was this right way to have handled this or should the original sale with corrected calf been honored?
Everyone I know has never had or seen this happen to them so no history there. Just wondering what would have been right.

I've seen mistakes like that corrected before struck off as sold.
But have never seen a mistake caught early enough after sold to re-enter the ring again to sell.
So I don't know proper protocol in a case like that.

But I would say any objection would need to be lodged before the next animals sell.
Sort of like in the NFL a head coach has to throw red objection flag before other team runs
the next play or it's ruled too late to review the play.

Probably a poor example, but that's all I've got.

I can only speak from what my son told me when he was in auction school, and what he has seen and done since. This is only a sideline for him at this point, but there are protocols. Once an animal, or any other item at ANY auction is "knocked off " to a buyer, it is a legal contract. In your case when the animal was immediately brought back into the ring, with the "correct calf" it was the auctioneers responsibility to ASK YOU as the buyer, if you were willing to take the pair as they had been correctly paired. You are entitled to the pair as you bought them. You would have the right to refuse, and they could have re-offered them for auction. But legally, it was their responsibility to ASK you if you were okay with the "switch" to make the pair right. And to allow the sale to stand. The second "corrected pair" would then be auctioned off as normal since they had not been auctioned prior to that.
If the second corrected pair had been auctioned off earlier/prior to your "pair" then you still should have been asked if you wanted the pair as it was correctly paired. At the very least, you should have been asked if you wanted them to re-sell them. You could have/should have made an objection as soon as they said they would re-offer them or before the bidding restarted. Perhaps the auctioneer is not a professionally schooled one, but it ought to be brought to the attention of the owners/operators of the sale where this happened. ESPECIALLY since you had already won bids on some cattle previously to this pair..... It is not a good reflection on the auction/sale company that this happened.

I have a big mouth and I would have piped right up and said WHOA WAIT A MINUTE right then and there.
If there was a discrepency between 2 bidders, the bidding can be opened up between those 2 bidders only..... but it doesn't sound like this was the case.

Sorry you got screwed out of the pair.

Latest posts