auction charges

Help Support CattleToday:

dkt99

Reaction score
I bought a calf, by the head, for 130.00 and on the reciept they charged me 250.00. I didn't notice until I was gone. Is there something wrong or does sound like they over charged me for something.

As a buyer usually you only pay what the price was, if it was $130 dollars thats the price the seller usually pays any commission.Seems like a big difference not to have noticed before you left.

A 92% increase sounds like an excessive amount. Are you sure what your bid was. I've seen that happen many times where a person unfamiliar with livestock auctions misunderstands the true price at the drop of the gavel.

I would head back to the sale barn with the reseipt and ask them. Could be their mistake, coiuld be yours

dkt99":24uw78t4 said:
I bought a calf, by the head, for 130.00 and on the reciept they charged me 250.00. I didn't notice until I was gone. Is there something wrong or does sound like they over charged me for something.

On your other post you mentioned a 200# bull calf. 200# @ 130cwt would be $260hd. Have seen calves sold by the head and office entered it by the pound. So as Dun said either the barn made an error or you misunderstood and thought they were selling by the head when in fact they were selling by the pound.

If the calf is a decent, healthy beef calf with no dairy, longhorn or corriente look, then $1.30 lb was a good buy on a 200# bull. On the other hand, $130/hd (=.65 lb) for a healthy 200# calf is dirt cheap unless it was of dairy or longhorn breeding.

Check with the sale barn and ask to see the scale ticket as it should be marked as per head or pound. The office could have entered it wrong into the computer. Sounds like a misunderstanding one way or the other.

I did the math. They charged by the pound. I will call the auction tomorrow. I didn't even think about them charging by the pound. I'm sure it was a mistake.

On thing to remember - the "note takers" at auctions are working really fast and doing multi tasking like you wouldn't believe. They are definitely an unseen hero in this operation. Give them some slack; you could actually come away with a good relationship with all of the staff by being courteous and reasonable

dkt99":mapl6e4k said:
As tight as I am I would have noticed when I paid. :lol:

All the local sale barn auctions here sell by the pound on calves, sheep, pigs.

Goats are sold per animal though.I have no idea why.

dkt99":3qme7wfd said:

So, did you get things worked out?

No. They told me it was by the pound only in with size calf. I swear he said by the head though because the onle reason I was biding on him because he was so cheap. I guess I'm learning alot this week!

Don't feel bad. I see folks make that mistake nearly every week. It happens so frequently here that they will stop and tell the person that was by the pound not by the head.

Latest posts