POLL auction week?

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
Curious as to what most think would be the better selling week.
Barns were closed this week for the Fourth here.
Tuesday will be first week back after being closed for a week.
Too many head to get good prices?
Wait a week for avg. numbers and maybe better prices?
Don't do much trading there and don't even know if it's worth trying to time it, but, pennies per pound add up with 4 or 5 head, even if they're back pasture types.
Working and seperating on Sunday, and can hold them if need be for a bit.
Thanks.

I understand Denvers answer. If you are going to wean them Sunday then either sell them Monday or keep them a few weeks for them to get weaned and gain their weight back. That said I never wean them the day before. If I am going to sell unweanted calves on Monday I seperate them as late on Monday as I can and still get them sold.
I also try to avoid the week after the sales have been closed. If I wait a week it gives the buyers time to work out their orders. But in these times that may be bad advice also.

I have 21 that it is time to sell. I have thought about 7 per week. I can hall them. It is about 10 miles to a good sale barn. When should I start?

kenny thomas":269bv4hc said:
I understand Denvers answer. If you are going to wean them Sunday then either sell them Monday or keep them a few weeks for them to get weaned and gain their weight back. That said I never wean them the day before. If I am going to sell unweanted calves on Monday I seperate them as late on Monday as I can and still get them sold.
I also try to avoid the week after the sales have been closed. If I wait a week it gives the buyers time to work out their orders. But in these times that may be bad advice also.
Right, I wouldn't wait. And the way everything has been going I don't think they will be any cheaper Monday than the sale last week. Now yes, they may very well be higher the next week, but the whole market has been on a constant up trend for weeks and weeks now, so I wouldn't be shocked if they did gain some ground by the next week, my point is the off week didn't cause it. If I had some ready to go personally I wouldn't be afraid to sell the first week after a short week, Infact i have done very good in the past selling at these times.

Now another idea I have that could be completely wrong but is a feeling I have, is they have been going up every week for a while and it's getting to a point where I believe there's not much more room, maybe not go down for a while but I do expect it to level off. If the same trend continued here where I am in less than a month we would have 5wts at or a little over 3.00$, and I don't see that happening.

Denver, I heard that there were a couple of loads of some 500 lb steers in Kansas that brought $302. Thin, dried out reputation cattle. That is high enough to kill cotton knee tall.

I was always told to never sell the week before or after a holiday by old timers. In today's market not sure if it holds true. We sold last week and they did really well. I understand why you separate them when you can the day before, it ends up costing a few pounds though. I do it sometimes also. We creep feed them a little so they know what feed is, usually they eat good when in the lot. I have weighed them right off the cow and not had a real bad shrink when at the barn. If they will eat it won't hurt you too bad.

Not sure how late you can wait to decide but you could always check the futures Monday morning. But sometimes we have to sacrifice a few dollars to do what is the most convenient for us.
I sold a few at a different barn recently because of convenience, probably got about $40 less a calf but had about half the haul distance.

BC":3ez4ej51 said:
Denver, I heard that there were a couple of loads of some 500 lb steers in Kansas that brought $302. Thin, dried out reputation cattle. That is high enough to kill cotton knee tall.
Highest I have heard is 2.82$, but there may have been some over 3$. And that's why I believe know body is not gonna mess up by selling this next week. There's not alot of room to improve.

Don McCallum":2oclp3hg said:
I have 21 that it is time to sell. I have thought about 7 per week. I can hall them. It is about 10 miles to a good sale barn. When should I start?
You should start now, if it will take you 3 weeks I wouldn't wait a week to start.

Sorry, working today just got back.
I Should've been more clear.
1 pair- 10 year old with about a 200-250 bull calf
1 yearling heifer about 600 lbs
1 wet nurse cow about 1000 lbs
1 14 year old about 950 lbs
I'm separating to cull, selling as commercial.
I'm expecting a lot of head to run through because of the dead week that just passed.
Waiting a week is not a big deal if there is more nickels in it.
Thanks.

Packers (your 14 year old cow and here most likely the 10 year old as well) will sell very well the week before and the week after a holiday week with no sales. Those big packing plants will shut down 1 day at most - the week before they're gathering cattle to get them through and the week after they're playing catch up - at least that's how it works around here. Feeders really don't matter much - feedlots run 24/7/365. Stockers usually do pretty well the week before a holiday because buyers may have extra time to get them going, the week after can be a little tougher, because of the time factor and usually greater than average supply vs. demand. Again, that's here anyway.

Well here is my report on how my day went. I hauled 9 bullcalves to Sulphur Springs today, the first day after the holiday. 3 were 3 weights, 4 were 4 weights and 2 were 5 weights.
6 were black and polled angus x brahman influence cows, 1 was charolais cross and 2 were F1 tigers. My check after all fees taken out is 9400. I am over the moon. The holiday did not ruin the prices IMO.
Several of these calves were out of first calf heifers. One was a teenage pregnancy oops (the char). In every single case, the calf paid for the purchase price of the cow and then some. Wow.

I debated about sending my eight calves and one or two cows that I am culling this week. My husband has doctor's appointments for the next two Tuesdays in Atlanta so it will be hard to get them up. Also one of the owners of the stockyard is to be buried tomorrow after fighting a yearlong battle with cancer.
I will probably get them up early Wednesday morning of the next week. I try to send them a day ahead, but cannot this time. I am afraid to wait any longer.
The last sale before the holiday calves sold for $3.60 a pound. Hard to beat that. I just hope the price stays up.
Good luck to all of you selling this week. I am anxious to hear how they come out.

Latest posts