POLL auction week?

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":16s9ty2d said:
Here's a local cow market for Monday since that's what this was about.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/jc_ls140.txt

How are herds going to rebuild with slaughter prices like they are. Many cows that normally would go back to the farm are being killed now. And yesterday I gave $1415 for some 750 lb feeder heifers. No way will I ever keep these to make cows.

kenny thomas":2k46in7u said:
denvermartinfarms":2k46in7u said:
Here's a local cow market for Monday since that's what this was about.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/jc_ls140.txt

How are herds going to rebuild with slaughter prices like they are. Many cows that normally would go back to the farm are being killed now. And yesterday I gave $1415 for some 750 lb feeder heifers. No way will I ever keep these to make cows.
Here we have alot of cows going back to the farm that shouldn't be, there's alot of people wanting cows now and most everything available is a cull. I have a friend who 3 weeks ago spent 60k to buy 35 heavy bred cows that all got sold for a reason, I felt sorry for the guy who thinks he has a good herd with those cows.

I see this heifer market keeping herds down, I don't know hardly anyone here keeping heifers anymore and I can't really blame them. Every Thursday I could buy a load of very high quality heifers that should be making cows that will never get the chance.

I wish more old timers in our area would "give up" and sell out. Grass is so incredibly hard to come by that herd expansion can't happen, our area is running at close to full capacity and it doesn't look to change. We are lucky to somewhat able to survive droughts with cropland to turn into feed stuffs.

Don't know what y'all ever did on selling, but now that we are past the first Monday after the 4th and the second after we know what was better. Late last week futures went down and today feeders at the sale were about 5$ cheaper than last week, where last week they were higher compared to the sale 2 weeks before. So this year it was best to sell at the first sale after.

denvermartinfarms":xtb3cyyv said:
Don't know what y'all ever did on selling, but now that we are past the first Monday after the 4th and the second after we know what was better. Late last week futures went down and today feeders at the sale were about 5$ cheaper than last week, where last week they were higher compared to the sale 2 weeks before. So this year it was best to sell at the first sale after.
I agree but why? Was it the heat, the hoof and mouth, or just a quirky market week.

kenny thomas":3h0gr98y said:
denvermartinfarms":3h0gr98y said:
I agree but why? Was it the heat, the hoof and mouth, or just a quirky market week.
My opinion is we are at a high spot in the market and it just happend that we are now to the point were it is going to be flat to a little soft. I may be wrong, it might be back up next week plus 5$.

kenny thomas":fq1u74vl said:
If either one of us knew for sure we would make millions, I think it will go back higher but how soon who knows.

How do you put those two prospectives together? How does the imported cattle effect this? Seems like a weird deal to me....I'm hanging on to what I have and wish I could find grass for more.

Waited till yesterday.
Week after first auction week past holliday week.
Heard they had dropped a bit from last week.
Some said they hadn't changed.
(No way to know without a lot of calling around as our bought and paid for Commisioner of Ag. In Louisiana refuses to publish or report cattle sales in the state.)

Was not unhappy though.
230 lb steer $3.40
600 lb heifer $1.75
2875 lb scale cows $1.01 avg. All medium to slightly thin.
Fats were up to $1.20.

Kinda made me wish for the first time I had more to cull or not like too much.
Nah.

It's hard not to be happy at these prices.

I'm wondering what retail meat prices are like right now. People must still be buying at higher prices if live prices remain strong.?

About herd rebuilding, producers I've never seen interested in holding back many heifers are picking and choosing and holding on to more than they have in the past. And only some of the better ones.
I'm guessing their bottom line and the forecast is allowing them to speculate a bit with less downside.
I'm seeing very few people hanging on to lesser animals right now.
At least around me.
Thoughts?