Auction Barn practices

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":3vcqhzec said:
LauraleesFarm":3vcqhzec said:
If you think about it, the practice of requiring the bidder to guestimate the weight of the cattle is probably intended to separate the men from the boys. So to speak.

Only the professional bidders will feel comfortable taking that risk.
And what does it take to be a professional? If I need a load of steers weighing 490 and the buyer is not willing to pay for calves weighing over 500 what would I do with those if the load weighed 505. At todays prices that is about $45 a head. At 99 head to the load and $45 head difference in price thats $4455 per load that I can't just not pay for. A professional will buy on a slide if he does not have a weight. I challenge anyone here to guess a 50,000 load within 10 lb per head.
I don't even think Sky could do that Kenny.

This is 2015. I'm simply amazed at the number of sale barns that don't yet have ring scales. Vast majority of sale barns here have had ring scales since 1975, many earlier.

What a PIA for everyone involved in the process :???: :???: :???:

Kenny Thomas if you read my original post, I said that the barns in East TX do not sell a LOAD at a time. The cattle are sold individually. Which makes a difference in the weight guessing challenge.

John SD":3vdc8lch said:
This is 2015. I'm simply amazed at the number of sale barns that don't yet have ring scales. Vast majority of sale barns here have had ring scales since 1975, many earlier.

What a PIA for everyone involved in the process :???: :???: :???:

Most of the barns out in your country sell enough to be able to afford it. Salebarns that have been around 60 years and are selling 200-300 a week just don't have the money to make those kinds of upgrades most of the time.

Our sale here weighs them when they go out. I don't care for it at all.
I guess they compensate for doing it that way by continuing the bidding after they have let them out of the ring and they hit the scales. They do not do this on all of them, just some. But for me, it is very confusing.

every sale I have been to the scale is either the lead in or the ring , so you know the weight when you are bidding , as when I am bidding I want to know the weight before I bid , and with the digital board
I know my final cost per head when they go out, and none of them mix animals from different owners
If I bring in 5 calves same sex same size they are sold as a group , they might do a gate cut for 4 head
and sell the last as a single , just depends on the order buyers, if they only want 4 out of the group
or 1 has a problem it will be cut and sold last , lots of singles sold and lots of groups
Suzanne

dieselbeef":1w2523os said:
man ours sounds like a movie theater compared to emory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... lyZt2jMRjI
I took that video with an old flip phone. Not the best audio quality. I had a different purpose for wanting the clip. I used this short video in a presentation to beef producers on how to avoid discounts. What I was trying to show was that in that 7 to 10 seconds your calf is in the ring that buyer has to determine 1) if the calf fits an order that they have,2) the sex (bull, steer or heifer), 3) estimate quality, and 4) estimate weight. That calf has to make a quick impression on the buyers.

Kenny Thomas, not trying to pick an argument because I respect the advice you have given on these boards. Nobody expects a buyer to get them all within 10 lbs of each other. Most of the buyers here work on averages. It may be a regional thing, but here if an order calls for 500 lb calves, the calves will come in weighing from 460 to 540 and hopefully average 500 lbs. I think that the guys selling the cattle to customers figure a little fudge factor when quoting a delivered price.

slick

I like Sulphur Springs sale a LOT. There are pros and cons with each, but my personal preference is either Longview or Sulphur Springs.

I can't always keep up with what sold when and for how much. You have to really focus in and pay attention closely.

I am always pleased with my check at those two sales.

Emory's biggest plus for me is the dual catwalks and plenty of pens. You can look at everything in the barn before it sells. But I still prefer the other two over Emory.

The dairy sale at SS is a totally different pace. Really laid back. Those guys seem to run a good honest sale.

The reason why some barns have not made the switch is that a huge percentage of salebarns that are still around have been slowly going out of business over the last few decades. When a barn looks at the head counts decreasing every year it makes no sense to invest in more infrastructure.

BC":3q93ll9z said:
dieselbeef":3q93ll9z said:

I took that video with an old flip phone. Not the best audio quality. I had a different purpose for wanting the clip. I used this short video in a presentation to beef producers on how to avoid discounts. What I was trying to show was that in that 7 to 10 seconds your calf is in the ring that buyer has to determine 1) if the calf fits an order that they have,2) the sex (bull, steer or heifer), 3) estimate quality, and 4) estimate weight. That calf has to make a quick impression on the buyers.

Kenny Thomas, not trying to pick an argument because I respect the advice you have given on these boards. Nobody expects a buyer to get them all within 10 lbs of each other. Most of the buyers here work on averages. It may be a regional thing, but here if an order calls for 500 lb calves, the calves will come in weighing from 460 to 540 and hopefully average 500 lbs. I think that the guys selling the cattle to customers figure a little fudge factor when quoting a delivered price.
A good buyer only need a few seconds to analyze a calf and decide if he wants to bid on it and how much it weighs. I guarantee you his guess on the weight won't be off much either......if it is he'll usually just have the ticket writer change which one of his orders to charge it to.

LauraleesFarm":218q041m said:
slick

I like Sulphur Springs sale a LOT. There are pros and cons with each, but my personal preference is either Longview or Sulphur Springs.

I can't always keep up with what sold when and for how much. You have to really focus in and pay attention closely.

Emory's biggest plus for me is the dual catwalks and plenty of pens. You can look at everything in the barn before it sells. But I still prefer the other two over Emory.

The dairy sale at SS is a totally different pace. Really laid back. Those guys seem to run a good honest sale.
Keep your eye on Joe Don and David at Sulfur Springs....they are smooooooth. ;-) :lol2:

LauraleesFarm":1g98g0mk said:
slick

I'm not going to follow an auctioneer that doesn't actually enunciate the numbers. The guy at SS I can stay with, not at Emory.

BC":n414lqab said:
dieselbeef":n414lqab said:

Oh, no argument here. Not a problem. One difference here may also be that sometimes I need 5 calves or 10 calves for a part time farmer and because of their finances I need the calves to weigh a certain amount. If they sold them all together I can get by with a calf that is too heavy but if it is singles and he says no calves over 500 and I send him a calf weighing 510 it looks bad.
Also we sell load lots and even some loads that are described but not in the barn. No way to guess the weight on a 50,000 load so they are sold described to weigh lets say 750. If they weigh 760 the slide in the price kicks in to make up for it.
I guess my argument is if I am buying something by the lb I want to know what it weighs.

If you think your going to compete with the order buyers. You are wrong. They buy for a living and work on a small profit margin. These guys can glance at a pen full of calves and cut the culls. They don't need to walk the catwalks and study them. If they let something go by cheap. You can bet your hat there is a reason. If you want to buy. Walk the catwalks, pick what you like, and get your checkbook out. Trying to beat the professional buyers is a good way to end up with junk

Where I buy they let me go in the pens instead of just going on the cat walk. I am hopefully going to a new barn in a couple weeks but I will have to stay on the catwalk so that will be interesting not being able to get down in the pens and check them out. I also want to know exactly what they weigh.

All the sales I go to are.

one at a time unless one owner brings in a lot

They sell the cows a bit slow but calves go fast

The animal hits the scale on the way out so you better know your weights

If you are buying calves you usually have a 25 to 50 pound range and most buyers have several orders if you screw up doesn't happen very often just put it on a different order.

Latest posts