Atten TX & OK drought survivors - HELP!

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Here is Arkansas the drought is on and must assume that it's here to stay. I have started putting out hay this week. I have 15 cows, 12 with calves from 2-5 months old, one due any day and 2 fall calvers. I have about 60 rolls of hay on hand. I feed about 120 rolls during winter w/ spring ryegrass. I've used a couple of 20% tubs but would like to supplement with a more economical feed. Everything is in good condition now, I've started creep feeding the calves w/ 16% pellets ($19/100).

I guess I was looking for some input on strategies on how best to survive. Here's my thinking: With fixed costs of rent, loan pmts, I pretty much have to have around 12-15 cows to make it work. That given, I figure I'll use the hay I have (60 rolls) as best I can to get these calves to weaning. If we get a break in the weather, then I may get a 2nd cutting and it may keep local hay from going through the roof. However, if no break in the weather (no 2nd cutting of hay), then I figure its time to move em all. I've been in for only 5 years, but using some AI, I feel like I've got a pretty nice herd, but I just don't see how to make it feeding what probably will be $45-$60/roll hay starting in June.

Any input would be appreciated.

Test your hay for nutrient value...It is the only way to know how to feed what you have...supplement only if you need. If your hay needs supplementing...weigh your options. Might be cost efficient to buy better hay and save what you have for when a little green does show up. Streamline...don't fertilize because the weatherman says it might rain....wait for it TO rain and then decide for yourself it it might rain again in the next 30 days. Grass doesn't need fertilizer if it doesn't get the rains to use it. You have to figure out just how long you want to dump money into cattle that should be grazing for their living. Then make your bet if the weather is going to change enough to allow your grass production to get back on track...Make your cull list and start selling when that time comes....then start the second cull list because you were probably to optimistic when you made the first list.

With 350 lb calve bringing $1.80 = 2.00.........pretty much a no-brainer to let them go unless you can pencil out a profit in a feed lot. But get em off the cows to drop their forage requirements as soon as feasible.

I sold half the herd last year. Made it through winter with enough hay, even after donating some to the fire victims at Possum Kingdom.

Watched Dad go under in '83. Cattle prices kept dropping. Hay prices kept climbing. You get to the point that you are "all in." You hang on thinking it will rain and the seed will come up - if you sell, you lose your arse etc. That is no condition to be in. Prices are good. Sell while they are good.

I will have surplus hay this year and plan on holding at least an extra 100 bales year to year henceforth. Building the herd back slowly is my plan.

Don't know where your at arkieman, but here on the west side of the state, I'm in the same situation. Last year was almost as bad. I wintered 26 head with about 57 rolls. I planted ryegrass and wheat mid August, heavy. I had all my hay on the first cut and gave up the idea that I might get a second. So I turned the cows into the hay meadow and rotated them on that until the ryegrass and wheat was up good. Didn't start feeding hay till Christmas. I used 3 tubs all winter, and supplimented with a good recieving ration about 2 pounds per head per day for the period Jan 1 thru about Feb 20. The tubs and feed cost about $655, and the seed cost about $600. Kept the condition good and sold calves late Feb (I think it was). For me, it was cheaper than buying more hay. If we don't get rain soon, this year is going to be far worse for us than last. I got 64 rolls on my first cut this year, and will have 30 (maybe 29) head to winter, of which 14 (or 13) are calves born in the past few weeks. Good luck to you, and thanks for starting this topic.

And I'll second the getting your hay tested. I didn't do that last year. This year I have concerns about nutrient, so I'm getting mine tested. I'm also looking at a neighboring pasture to lease asap, so my pastures can recover some. I'm not ready yet to give up the idea of a second cutting, so I'm trying to find an alternative to turning them out on it.

Things ain't any better over in Searcy county. Looks like the whole state is ready to burn up what ain't already. I may have to do some free grazing on some places with out of state owners.

Red Bull Breeder":3vqm5det said:
................... may have to do some free grazing on some places with out of state owners.

Well now there is an alternative that I not considered yet RB :lol2: Thanks for the tip :cowboy:

Arkieman":2wwdw65t said:
Here is Arkansas the drought is on and must assume that it's here to stay. I have started putting out hay this week. I have 15 cows, 12 with calves from 2-5 months old, one due any day and 2 fall calvers. I have about 60 rolls of hay on hand. I feed about 120 rolls during winter w/ spring ryegrass. I've used a couple of 20% tubs but would like to supplement with a more economical feed. Everything is in good condition now, I've started creep feeding the calves w/ 16% pellets ($19/100).

I guess I was looking for some input on strategies on how best to survive. Here's my thinking: With fixed costs of rent, loan pmts, I pretty much have to have around 12-15 cows to make it work. That given, I figure I'll use the hay I have (60 rolls) as best I can to get these calves to weaning. If we get a break in the weather, then I may get a 2nd cutting and it may keep local hay from going through the roof. However, if no break in the weather (no 2nd cutting of hay), then I figure its time to move em all. I've been in for only 5 years, but using some AI, I feel like I've got a pretty nice herd, but I just don't see how to make it feeding what probably will be $45-$60/roll hay starting in June.

Any input would be appreciated.

I went down to 12 head from 28 from 37 the year before. I had two years worth of hay on hand when the really bad part of the drought started last summer, ended the winter with 7 rolls. I dumped cow's and all calve's at 300 pound's to reduce forage requirement's. I was also feeding 12% protien feed at 220 a ton to stretch hay and grass. Watch feeding to high of protien in a drought with high heat, cow's can't stand getting there body temp raised with the high protien feed. They will start to loose condition pretty quick. With hay going for 200 a ton it was virtually a break even on bulk feed. Now I could have held on to more but the damage to the pastures would have taken years to recover. Had we not got rains in Sept/Oct making for a bumper rye grass and clover for winter pasture, I most likely would have dumped them all to play another day. I held on to the best cow's, after attending several forage workshop's put on by TAMU where they were predicting replacements to be 2000 dollars this year. I figured I could put 1200 dollars into a cow and break even on restocking as kill cow's were bringing 800 a head.
Dang sure wasn't anyone buying replacement cow's here last year.
I figure for every 2 350 pound calves are eating a cow's ration of grass a day plus raising the dam's forage requirement.

Before the drought the average cattle producer in Texas ran 36 head (71%) 50 to 100 head was 12%
over 100 3% those under 36 were 14%. I would really like to know the number's today as I reduced 70% during the drought. Neighbor got down to 50 head on 400 acres.

I know TAMU put on a lot of drought strategy seminar's that saved our bacon as we were dealing with a 100 year drought like no living person had dealt with. You might hit there website and search for forage mangement in a drought.

Ouachita it won't hurt them folks feelings if they don't know anything about it. One place has a 150 acres of grass and a good spring. Owners live in Texas. Only here two or three times a year.

Caustic Burno":3nvhwjck said:
.............. I would really like to know the number's today as I reduced 70% during the drought. Neighbor got down to 50 head on 400 acres...........

Last week I flew from Mena Arkansas to Conroe Texas (on a small single engine puddle jumper). When I looked down at the places there should be cattle, ther wernt nun.

Red Bull Breeder":347hxwmh said:
Ouachita it won't hurt them folks feelings if they don't know anything about it. One place has a 150 acres of grass and a good spring. Owners live in Texas. Only here two or three times a year.

"Owners live in Texas"???? Okay, givum he!!. :lol2: :cowboy:

Ouachita":1hp9dzo8 said:
Caustic Burno":1hp9dzo8 said:
.............. I would really like to know the number's today as I reduced 70% during the drought. Neighbor got down to 50 head on 400 acres...........

Last week I flew from Mena Arkansas to Conroe Texas (on a small single engine puddle jumper). When I looked down at the places there should be cattle, ther wernt nun.

When hauling cattle to Crockett( about 80 miles) I used to always enjoy looking at people's place's and cattle.
Most of the pasture's are empty and it look's like most decided not to get back in.
The other day at the local gathering place over coffee it was dishearting to listen to the people that sold off most of their cattle and were not going to restock. Most were holding on to enough for taxes and something to piddle with.

My plan is to sell old stock and hold on to the female young will wean the females early and sell the mothers can keep 3 young on what 1 mother will take. When this is over there will not be enough females to go around.

Appreciate all the input. I figure there's no better advice than from the guys who've been living it the last few years! I've got to have a plan - I'm not good at just winging it. I understand being flexible, but I need something. Seems like the concensus is to get the calves off early. Last night I was hauling the first "victims"(fall steer that I had at my house & heifer who lost her calf) to the sale barn I was thinking the same thing, not only to save inputs, but also to capitalize on these prices (just like 1982vett mentioned). Who knows what 5 weights will bring in the fall anyway, but I know I'll have a lot more $$ in them and have the added expense of keeping their momma in shape. That HAS to be the plan. If nothing has changed going into the fall, I may have to sell the 2 fall calvers as pairs and use that $ to buy some expensive hay to get the other 13 through the winter...

Prices staying high has been an extreme stroke of luck for all of us.

Historically you had to practically give 'em away during periods of drought.

Sorry to hear that you're going through this. We've been fortunate here this year, but with these 100+ temps that we're getting right now, we could be getting in bad shape again really quickly.

My strategy last year was to sell the bottom third of the herd. I started feeding early to stretch the pasture as far as I could and I weaned early. With hay being so high, because it was all being shipped in, I bought as little as I thought I could get by on - and bought range cubes instead. I think the range cubes were a better investment. I fed more range cubes over the last year than I had fed the prior seven years combined. I worried that I was "spoiling them" but with the return to more normal conditions this year and a return to my normal feeding program of "benign neglect", the cows look better than ever this year. I'm sure part of that is due to the hardest keepers being culled with the bottom third.

Good luck and I'll be praying for all of you! What we experienced here last year is a sobering experience - and it proved to be very educational for me. I hope that I'll never have to experience a drought that bad again - but I'll be better prepared for it if it happens.

George

jedstivers":24qw6kjp said:
Sell everything now while prices are good and sell the hay too. I probably wouldn't do that either but it would be the most economical move.
:nod: I didn't do that but I should have.

Latest posts