Artifacts from WWII.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score

While my Dad was on the minesweeper USS SPEED during WWII he made these for his Mother. I just thought they were pretty neat. The base is made out of a 40 mm shell, I think. The candle holder is a 20 mm which is drilled and tapped into the 50 caliber casing.
I thought it was quite the Christmas gift.

I was dredging a boat slip out and the prop wash sucked it up. It was like brand new, and I hadn't seen one in a long time. I collect junk it's a bad habit that I have. You know what I mean?

highgrit":4ww0je4d said:
I was dredging a boat slip out and the prop wash sucked it up. It was like brand new, and I hadn't seen one in a long time. I collect junk it's a bad habit that I have. You know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean.

I spilled probably a half can of PA one time trying to learn to roll a cigarette. Finally got one "sort of" rolled, lit it and it went POOF...just that quick.....gone. :lol2: Haven't seen a can of PA in ages. Do they still make it?

TexasBred":yc40msfb said:
I spilled probably a half can of PA one time trying to learn to roll a cigarette. Finally got one "sort of" rolled, lit it and it went POOF...just that quick.....gone. :lol2: Haven't seen a can of PA in ages. Do they still make it?

Uncle told me that when younger he slipped to the cow pen with a sack of Bull Duram spilled most of it trying to roll one. Tried to pick it up and had 5 gallons or so when he finished.

hurleyjd":fd2jk709 said:
TexasBred":fd2jk709 said:

Uncle told me that when younger he slipped to the cow pen with a sack of Bull Duram spilled most of it trying to roll one. Tried to pick it up and had 5 gallons or so when he finished.
:lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: :lol2: :lol2: Bet that smoke was strong.

Thread reminded me of something I had forgotten about. Here is a handful of sand my dad stuck in his pocket in 1944. I know very little about this and wish it could talk. I think I'll give it to my son for Christmas. He has an interest in history so I think he will see it as something more than sand.

Jogeephus":1k0ti8h7 said:
Thread reminded me of something I had forgotten about. Here is a handful of sand my dad stuck in his pocket in 1944. I know very little about this and wish it could talk. I think I'll give it to my son for Christmas. He has an interest in history so I think he will see it as something more than sand.

Jo that sends shivers down my back just thinking of what it truly means.

For a one time love offering there's a preacher on TV that will send you a "certified" bag of dirt and rocks from somewhere in Israel.

TB, what a coincidence. I also sell dirt from my cow pen that you can inoculate your ranch with so you too can grow premium cattle. I call it the Imbalancer Starter Kit. $29.95 plus shipping and handling.

Jogeephus":1a880u6s said:
TB, what a coincidence. I also sell dirt from my cow pen that you can inoculate your ranch with so you too can grow premium cattle. I call it the Imbalancer Starter Kit. $29.95 plus shipping and handling.
Let me think on it a while. Gettin' close to plantin' time. Might be my salvation. I need some new blood around here as well as some new dirt. Make a man feel good having a little piece of Georgia around the place.

Jogeephus":1ajcjjji said:

Wow. Thats sobering

Enjoyed this thread and would like to add. I never knew how many local men served in WW2. You never knew who was until you read the obits. I had a teacher that was a pow in Germany. I have known some that survived the Bataan death march. Some stories are passed down but many never talked about it. One uncle never talked about serving in the Pacific theater until later years. Another served in Italy and moved up through Italy. Several cousins and our family was blessed to not have lost any them. Seems that it did not traumatize them as much as the veterans of later wars.

My Dad never talked about WWII when we were growing up. Now in his later years he's reflecting back on his life more and more. He'll get talking about things and then he'll say I don't want to bore you anymore and move to something else. I still can't imagine going off to serve in WWII at 17 years old. Talk about growing up quickly.
By the way, Merry Christmas folks and make sure to tell your loved ones you love them.

I have a bunch of pictures from Okinawa during and after the battle, as well
when they went into Tokyo Bay. Need to get the grandkids to get them digital for me.

hurleyjd":1k7qp88n said:
Enjoyed this thread and would like to add. I never knew how many local men served in WW2. You never knew who was until you read the obits. I had a teacher that was a pow in Germany. I have known some that survived the Bataan death march. Some stories are passed down but many never talked about it. One uncle never talked about serving in the Pacific theater until later years. Another served in Italy and moved up through Italy. Several cousins and our family was blessed to not have lost any them. Seems that it did not traumatize them as much as the veterans of later wars.

I noticed that as well, men cut from different cloth.
As a kid when we sat down for holiday dinner with the family every man there had served.
Most of mine were South Pacific, Dad was North Atlantic , had an uncle at Pearl on Dec.7,1941.

I noticed that as well, men cut from different cloth.
[/quote]

Definitely a different time for sure. I didn't serve but have uncles and cousins along with my dad, a brother, 2 sons and a DIL.

The older ones seem to be able to adjust or forget better than the others.

The support they received from the people back home was different as well.

Latest posts