arrowleaf clover

Help Support CattleToday:

Quintonhall

Reaction score
I read somewhere that it can be started by putting seed in with feed. Sounds like a good idea as it would prevent the young plants from getting eaten and they should be well fertilized. This too good to be true or does it really work well?

The one thing I'm curious about concerning feeding clover seed to cows is the inoclulation. Will the same nitrogen fixing properties be present in the plants that are established using this method?

I do not believe the inoculate could survive the rumen system. If the pasture already had clover growing in the past then there would likely be microbes present. But then some clovers take special inoculates. In a small pasture one could apply the inoculate to the individual plants. But in larger pastures the entire pasture would have to be treated. This defeats the purpose of mixing the seed with the feed in the first place. To check and see if the proper microbes are present, dig up some of the clover. It should have noduals that are pink in color.

I should be able to answer this question next year. I'm mixing Apache arrowleaf and Dixie crimson in with the minerals my cows get.

Latest posts