Arrived to this today.

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm gonna make a guess as to part of it. For some reason the calf was born dead. I think she had licked one side clean, she walked away with the placenta out or it came out as she walked. The trama killed her.

Sorry for your loss. That's definitely a punch in the gut to walk up and find something like that.

My wife saw her at 2-3pm the day before and she looked normal. No stress and she rotated into the next pasture without issue. Got there at 2:30 yesterday and dead.

DOA calf likely didn't come out properly, could have been backwards - look at surrounding grass to determine which way cow was laying for delivery.

Cow got up, licked calf off, kept having contractions, laid down, prolapsed, hemorrhaged and died.

If that calf is only 70lbs, it is either poorly conformed for calving ease, or you had a heifer with far too small a pelvis.

I had one do the same..

2nd Calver calved in the morning around 9ish.

Live calf..all is well. Checked up on em around 3ish. Cow is eating an comes to check up on what im doing to her calf.
Went for some coffee an hour later i come back to tag the calf an the cow was prolapsed an dead...i was pretty confused to say the least

Latest posts