area of expertise

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis":3i2kco8i said:
Rafter S":3i2kco8i said:
M.Magis":3i2kco8i said:
Magis, what software do you use? SolidWorks is the only one I'm familiar with. I know just enough AutoCAD for it to p**s me off.
Alwaysed used AuttoCAD for 2D, but we switched to Draftsight a couple years ago. It's basically a free knockoff. Still basically AutoCAD.
For 3D I've used SDRC Ideas my entire career, but have been SLOWLY learning Solidworks. It's more cumbersome for me, so it's taking more time than I expected. I usually don't have time to mess with it, so I go back to what I know.
Our production prints are 2D, and Solidworks drafting just isn't as efficient for doing them quickly. The guys better at Solidworks have tried and just couldn't make it work. Plus, we have 25 years worth of AutoCAD drawings that we still need to use and update.

I'd encourage you to keep at it with SolidWorks. I've known other long time AutoCAD users that first struggled with it and insisted that AutoCAD was better, but at some point they all had that moment when it was like somebody flipped a switch and they "got it". None of them would go back now.

zirlottkim":3l9sajk0 said:
When I turned 40 I had spent over 6000 days trawling for shrimp in the Gulf and South Atlantic. Usually 30 day trips, unload, get boat ready in a week and gone again. A man can train his body to function on a very minimum amount of sleep. I wasnt an "expert" but I loved it and was successful........but got very burned out so I hired a Captain, started a wholesale seafood business and sleep at night now. I can tell a few sea tales. The cows are just to keep me sane.

Forrest?.....Forrest is that you? :tiphat:

(sorry...couldn't help it)

My family owns a distributing company. It has been in the family since 1929. Our main customer base is convenience stores. We carry everything in them, except their alcohol.

28 years on Microstation here. Done some dandy looking layouts for barns, working corrals, etc!!!!!

Rafter S":x262ea09 said:
M.Magis":x262ea09 said:
Spent the last 18 years as a design engineer. Spend every day doing 2D design and 3D modeling. Not a lot of call for that in the cattle business, though I do model up projects like barns and working facilities. Gives me a good idea how things look and materials I need to buy.
Also spent quite a while doing taxidermy part time. Mostly deer heads, all mammals. Never got into birds or fish. Once the kids came I had to give it up.

3d modeling also, and creating drawings from the models, using SolidWorks. I just started that about 7 years ago after working at carpentry or some other form of construction most of the time before, though I've had other jobs ranging from assistant manager at a 60,000 square foot department store to beekeeper. Magis, what software do you use? SolidWorks is the only one I'm familiar with. I know just enough AutoCAD for it to p**s me off.

I've been working with cattle since I was a small boy, and while I don't claim to be an expert at anything, I think I'm pretty good at getting them to do what I want them to do.

I am no expert but I have been in logging and Tree work for 25 years I went to school for automotive repairs and have been working on them for 18 years. I do most of my repairs if I have time. I am also pretty good at fixing antique tractors I have been doing that for 15 years specializing in farmalls and fords

I played at rodeo and during that time I day worked on ranches and in feedlots. Played around with a little commercial fishing. Enough to know I didn't want to do that. Then I fell timber for about 20 years. Tramped around doing that in the old growth timber in Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and Montana. Went back to school and started working at a conservation district. I am a certified crop adviser although my schooling was in animal nutrition. How I ended up being a crop adviser (agronomist) is open for discussion. Dad bought me a day old Holstein bull when I was in second grade. I have owned cattle almost continually since then...... 58 years. I know a few things but am certainly not an expert although I have met one or two of them.

Jack of all trades-master of none.

Whatever it took to make a buck, usually diesel mechanic or tractor/heavy const mechanic (back before they all became "techs')
20 yrs in the oil field, and about 9 as a machinist. 9 years in the military.

I'm 23, never done anything but work in the cattle business. My grandpa and dad had a feedlot and I started around cattle the day I was born. Spent more time in sale barns than anywhere else. Buying cattle five days a week and taking care of the cows we own is what I do now. Just started helping with a sale barn in the last couple months, trying my hand as a grader at a small graded sale in KY. Don't consider myself an expert in anything, and I've been spending my time learning everything I can about marketing cattle. I have a bachelors degree in Management in case the cattle business doesn't work out in the long run.

Most of what I've learned about sale barns so far is that it's a pretty stressful deal with everybody depending on you and the others running the place to make sure there cattle bring what they think they are worth. It's nearly impossible to explain to someone why they're cattle didn't top the market without making them mad, and making someone mad means losing a customer.

Ojp6":152zk85k said:
I'm 23, never done anything but work in the cattle business. My grandpa and dad had a feedlot and I started around cattle the day I was born. Spent more time in sale barns than anywhere else. Buying cattle five days a week and taking care of the cows we own is what I do now. Just started helping with a sale barn in the last couple months, trying my hand as a grader at a small graded sale in KY. Don't consider myself an expert in anything, and I've been spending my time learning everything I can about marketing cattle. I have a bachelors degree in Management in case the cattle business doesn't work out in the long run.

Most of what I've learned about sale barns so far is that it's a pretty stressful deal with everybody depending on you and the others running the place to make sure there cattle bring what they think they are worth. It's nearly impossible to explain to someone why they're cattle didn't top the market without making them mad, and making someone mad means losing a customer.
I thought today you told me you was a expert in most everything?

Im trying to become an expert at running bred cows into our buddy over there. Did your 300 lb yearlings make the trip home ok?

Ojp6":jgv0q82m said:
Im trying to become an expert at running bred cows into our buddy over there. Did your 300 lb yearlings make the trip home ok?
I thought one of them was dead, I drug him off the trailer and he never moved, then he stood up and went to the hay and water.

Huh, hopefully he didn't get messed up inside. I didn't think they would be in there tight enough to have one get hurt.

I'm not counting on him to make it. I only had 15,700lbs on, but When there that poor you never know how they will make a 6 1/2 hour trip. The load out man told me he hualed them in yesterday for the guy, said he had been going through some bad times and had planned on selling them 6 months ago and hadn't hardly fed them since, knowing what kind of care they have had I would say they are doing pretty good.

I guess my expertise would be Dad, designer, mechanic, repairman and cattleman.

Did 20yrs + as a "CAD jockey", (architectural, mechanical, civil, electrical) drafting/design. Started drafting "on-a-board/table" pencil/straight-edge/triangles, then (circa 1986 went to ACAD 5.2 (5 1/4" floppy disks), used every version upgrade until I left the industry in 2001 (with ACAD 10?) to be a stay-at-home dad for my 3 sons. Never want to touch a cad program again.

I became Chief cook/bottle washer/chauffeur 16yrs ago. I can cook, and yes I can operate the DW, wash clothes, and have run the vacuum a FEW times. (Man enough to admit it.)

I actually drew my parent's new home plans (in 2007) "on a drafting board/table", and really enjoyed it. Though the builder didn't like having to estimate it, I think he pretty much re-drew it digitally so he could use his estimator program.

Got one kid left, senior in High school. He and I rebuilt/restored a 1959 Willys CJ5. We have never done x-Boxes, etc. I raised 'em outdoors, in sports, and the ranch, working, playing, hunting/fishing, or in the shop/garage. The wife will probably retire this year or next so we can get out of the rat-race and go hide in the country.

Farming/Ranching wise, my uncle (lifetime rancher) has been my mentor and I FINALLY bought some cattle and got started in 2007. Helped my uncle on his place when I was growing up. My parents bought a place that I "raised my boys on" and am able to run my cattle on.

I am one of those Jack-of all trades master of none's. I can usually fix it if it ain't working, limitation might be electrical but I'll smoke out the problem if necessary, lots of small engine work, ATV & auto mechanic, appliance repair, etc. I drive a 2004 FORD F350 6.0 so I HAVE to know my way with a wrench :lol: .

Enjoy mechanical repairs on equipment, designing and building 72" landscape rake, 200 gal. PTO boomless sprayer, hay spear, ect. Currently laying out corral and working pens.
I need to do some DIY threads sometime.

Root Cause Failure Analyist 37 years total assorted other petrochemical processes
Bunch big long words for making gasoline,diesel,jet fuel,hydrogen and aromatics.
Forty six years of figuring out grass in front of the cow bull behind and learning
I am a grass farmer.

Started helping my uncle milk cows after school and weekends. Dad was layed off in winter so he did relief milking and helped area farmers after work so I tagged along.

Worked cattle, threw hay, fencing for any area guy that needed help before current job. Summer of 2000 before starting high school my current boss was to have back surgery and needed milking help for couple months. (Now he is recuperating on his 4th back surgery and also has a shoulder worked on) It was to be just for few months now 16 years later my main responsibly is Herdsman but on a 170 cow dairy I get in on some field work and window time too. I started boss on DHIA, AI, handle IV'ing, cow records, marketing of cattle. He has put a lot of trust in me and I see myself here a long time yet!

Cows I hope are my expertise but I learn something every day and I know lots of people who have forgotten more than I'll ever know. I enjoy working with some of the hardest working and knowledgeable people in the world in my opinion. Vets, Nutritionists etc.

I love the cow work and I like the numbers of it and treat mine and boss's cows as a business. It sure is a lot more fun when your making some money.

Dairy cattle is my job but Beef cattle and the seedstock business has always been my passion.

Only 21 over here, so I don't have the expertise you all have.

Graduating this summer with a BA in accounting/business management, and would LOVE to stay in the agribusiness field, but those jobs are a bit scattered where I live, so who knows.

As far as cattle; I'm no expert, but they're my passion and I'm always learning

allisonr":qduqy7iv said:
Only 21 over here, so I don't have the expertise you all have.

Graduating this summer with a BA in accounting/business management, and would LOVE to stay in the agribusiness field, but those jobs are a bit scattered where I live, so who knows.

As far as cattle; I'm no expert, but they're my passion and I'm always learning

Where is over here?

Latest posts