area of expertise

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":3s9kd0z3 said:
allisonr":3s9kd0z3 said:
Only 21 over here, so I don't have the expertise you all have.

Graduating this summer with a BA in accounting/business management, and would LOVE to stay in the agribusiness field, but those jobs are a bit scattered where I live, so who knows.

As far as cattle; I'm no expert, but they're my passion and I'm always learning

Where is over here?

"Over here" for me is Ohio.

Ohio huh? That's a long way from Georgia! I hope you find a way to stay in the agribusiness field. I'm unfamiliar with what options you may have in your area but whatever you do, pick a path you enjoy traveling. Good luck to you.

Lot of CAD users here. That's a surprise to me. I spent many years with different CAD packages. The company I used to work for used ACAD for mechanical and PCAD for electrical but eventually went to SolidWorks for mechanical. Never did get a handle on Solid. My favorite package was called Generic Cad. Very powerful 2D package and very intuitive . Could blow the doors off ACAD. Then Autodesk bought Generic and it became the basis for ACAD v10 (I think). The last 15 years of 8 to 5 was spent in failure analysis and remediation (how about that, CB). It was always amazing to me how the really "smart" engineers forgot little things like CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) and shock and vibration mitigation and a whole host of other basic engineering principals. Spent several years auto and boat racing as therapy. Class record holder in drag boats for two years. Anyway …..

Grew up on a cattle farm in western NC, went to college and became a civil engineer, started my own business as a grading contractor, stayed with that for 32 yrs until I retired. Ventured off into some real estate along the way. Always enjoyed the farm and cows so that's what I spend my time at now. Don't seem to be making much money at it!

Right out of high school started working for uncle sam (army) got out after 8 yrs. Then worked for a logging company. Moved from that into over the road truck driver for 15 years. Then worked for a company as a maintenance supervisor for 20 yrs. Retired in 2005 and been babysitting moma cows since. So as you can see I don't have an area of expertise.
But I'm dam good at hunting and fishing.

Cal

lavacarancher":317xz83s said:
Spent several years auto and boat racing as therapy. Class record holder in drag boats for two years. Anyway …..

You run SDBA? What class?

I have raced drag boats for over 20 years. I currently am running a Pro Eliminator boat on the Lucas Series. I have ran ADBA, SLDBA, KDBA, SDBA, IHBA, and now the LODBRS. I have a couple of World Championships, multiple High Points Championships, and I've won a ton of races. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will show you the boat I'm currently running.

Ol' 243":3k75hjxw said:
You ride the tube, I'll pull ya. The boat runs 8 second 1/4 miles in the high 150's low 160's.
Will do please try not to kill me it would not feel very nice to hit the water

Electronic test and measurement for the automotive industry. I write a lot of OBD2 software that we use in house as well. Mostly CAN bus. I fix/build automated test equipment.

I'm so sick of "Can you come take a look at this" or "Can you fix this" I could vomit!

Rafter S":1xjyr5ic said:
dun":1xjyr5ic said:
Ol' 243":1xjyr5ic said:

Here is pic of boat I currently run.
Too fast for trolling, would take a mighty healthy fish to catch the lure/bait.

...and it doesn't look like there's room for a cooler box.

You don't need a cooler box Rafter, you've got to be drunk BEFORE you get into a boat that will run 150mph :lol2:

JMJ Farms":388vzl9r said:
Rafter S":388vzl9r said:
dun":388vzl9r said:
Too fast for trolling, would take a mighty healthy fish to catch the lure/bait.

...and it doesn't look like there's room for a cooler box.

You don't need a cooler box Rafter, you've got to be drunk BEFORE you get into a boat that will run 150mph :lol2:
you dont think it sounds fun i think it would be great even sober

Diesel mechanic in the military. Since then, construction work, offshore oilfield, charter pilot, flight instructor, small engine shop, operation mgr industrial supply store for 20 yrs, own and operate income tax business last 20.
Enjoy repairing mechanical things and cows in my spare time.

bbirder":12yvxube said:
Diesel mechanic in the military. Since then, construction work, offshore oilfield, charter pilot, flight instructor, small engine shop, operation mgr industrial supply store for 20 yrs, own and operate income tax business last 20.
Enjoy repairing mechanical things and cows in my spare time.
What did/do you fly?

Ol' 243":2f9oh6il said:
lavacarancher":2f9oh6il said:
Spent several years auto and boat racing as therapy. Class record holder in drag boats for two years. Anyway …..

You run SDBA? What class?

I have raced drag boats for over 20 years. I currently am running a Pro Eliminator boat on the Lucas Series. I have ran ADBA, SLDBA, KDBA, SDBA, IHBA, and now the LODBRS. I have a couple of World Championships, multiple High Points Championships, and I've won a ton of races. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will show you the boat I'm currently running.

We ran in SDBA but also towed all over the US and ran with the ADBA, NDBA and NJBA (Arizona group). Ya gotta remember this was in the early '80's so there were only four major sanctioning organizations. We ran a BGJ (blown gas jet) in a Placecraft tunnel hull w/ 510 cu in Arias engine although the cast iron BBC was quicker. We would typically turn in the mid 9's at 130 MPH +/- .5 MPH. Boat would ET as quick as some of the BFJ's back then. We were at Bakersfield when Eddie Hill broke the 5 second barrier for quarter mile anything. He ran a second pass to back it up and prove it wasn't a fluke. In the 2 1/2 years we campaigned that boat we only lost one race (red light) and won the nationals at Firebird first year out.

Nice looking Hydro, by the way. At what class do you have to use the capsule? I'll PM you with some war stories if that's OK. Maybe I can find an old picture of the "Coastal Express".

9 months out of the year I manage kids (Social Studies teacher/bus driver) the rest of the time I manage cattle. Most of the time the cattle are easier. :D

Latest posts