What’s a bucket of feed worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

Col Reb

Reaction score
Dropped off some posts for an upcoming project today & noticed it looked like like too many animals in the pasture. Right at the gate 6 of my weaning calves made their way through the fence. Mended the fence real quick & then I thought how in the world will I get these separated without calling the neighbors. Easy! Walked towards the feed pen & all of the cows knew what time it was. They beat me there. Calves were skeptical about going in so shut the gate on the cows & grabbed a bucket of range cubes, walked to the pasture they had escaped from & they followed me the whole way right back home. I looked like the pied piper walking through the pasture.
Today, a bucket of feed was priceless. Lol.

Priceless! I consult for a 90 cow herd that hasn't started a 4wheeler in two years to chase cows, because we started hand feeding them. The owner used to "round up " instead of call his cattle. The cows over all disposition has improved ten fold.

the only way we can do it..im a one man show mostly til now my 13 yr old getting pretty good at it..feed bucket is gold

5 gal Bucket:
No pay required.
You don't have to feed it anything for itself.
It doesn't get sick.
It doesn't up and quit.
No training required.
It won't bite you or hump the preacher's leg when he comes to visit.
It doesn't bitch and moan about the weather or time of day.
It's always available to work weekends and holidays.
There's an almost inexhaustible supply of cheap/free replacements for it if it gets injured to the point it it can no longer carry or hold it's charge of contents.
It don't talk back to you.
You don't have to provide documentation for it.
You don't have to go bail it out of jail.
It won't flirt with your wife or daughters.
It will never steal from you.
You can sit on it or carry minnows in it when you aren't feeding cows, then bring your fish home in it.
You can WHOP a belligerent cow upside the head with it instead of her whopping you.

The perfect employee.

greybeard said:
5 gal Bucket:
No pay required.
You don't have to feed it anything for itself.
It doesn't get sick.
It doesn't up and quit.
No training required.
It won't bite you or hump the preacher's leg when he comes to visit.
It doesn't be nice and moan about the weather or time of day.
It's always available to work weekends and holidays.
There's an almost inexhaustible supply of cheap/free replacements for it if it gets injured to the point it it can no longer carry or hold it's charge of contents.
It don't talk back to you.
You don't have to provide documentation for it.
You don't have to go bail it out of jail.
It won't flirt with your wife or daughters.
It will never steal from you.
You can sit on it or carry minnows in it when you aren't feeding cows, then bring your fish home in it.
You can WHOP a belligerent cow upside the head with it instead of her whopping you.

The perfect employee.

I had a friend a few weeks ago that fired an employee & said that he almost sent the 5 gal bucket with him but he figured he had several thousand dollars in it with his hand sitting on it playing on his phone instead of working. Lol.
So there might be an instance where it's not priceless but when it's a one man show it is.
My cows know my truck & come running, if I poor feed in it at the barn which is across the road they come running wide open. They may not understand me when I say get out of the way but they can hear feed going in a bucket from a quarter mile away. Spoiled!

Yup, it's really nice to have cows that follow.. they go through gates a lot better than when driven!.. less fences to fix after too!
I don't even need a bucket anymore, I call them and ride the quad in front of them, they know what's up

A little feed will spoil them in a hurry. Most of us around here use that method to get cattle in.Some may have learned it,as I did, from my Dad.He would take a bucket of feed out with him when he went to check cows.Salt and mineral mix at the same time.Every cow we had knew the sound of that 1971 Ford F100 4X4 and two sharp taps of it's horn.
I can tell if my cattle at home get low on mineral if my son starts his old pickup.Sounds like the one I ran for years and the old cows remember the sound.At my other place,the neighbors cows look when they hear my 7.3 pull in since he has one,too.

I started this post a while back but couldn't help but to add to it today. My son was practicing his tractor driving skills in the pasture earlier. We were starting to leave & asked him if he shut the gate & used both chains. He had that deer in headlights look. Sure enough, a handful got out but luckily was able to get them right back in....

Col Reb said:
I started this post a while back but couldn't help but to add to it today. My son was practicing his tractor driving skills in the pasture earlier. We were starting to leave & asked him if he shut the gate & used both chains. He had that deer in headlights look. Sure enough, a handful got out but luckily was able to get them right back in....

You taught him about the importance of locking gates now you need to ask him to teach you how to post a picture that is not sideways. :lol2:

That crooked picture with my OCD was driving me bananas. The cattle were enjoying the grass while they were out looks like.

B07dLRr.jpg

Thought about letting mine out to eat the grass along the road. More grass outside of the fence than what's inside the fence. Could probably get a bucket and get them back in. ;-)

Latest posts