area of expertise

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis":2rtlqa2x said:
Spent the last 18 years as a design engineer. Spend every day doing 2D design and 3D modeling. Not a lot of call for that in the cattle business, though I do model up projects like barns and working facilities. Gives me a good idea how things look and materials I need to buy.
Also spent quite a while doing taxidermy part time. Mostly deer heads, all mammals. Never got into birds or fish. Once the kids came I had to give it up.

3d modeling also, and creating drawings from the models, using SolidWorks. I just started that about 7 years ago after working at carpentry or some other form of construction most of the time before, though I've had other jobs ranging from assistant manager at a 60,000 square foot department store to beekeeper. Magis, what software do you use? SolidWorks is the only one I'm familiar with. I know just enough AutoCAD for it to p**s me off.

I've been working with cattle since I was a small boy, and while I don't claim to be an expert at anything, I think I'm pretty good at getting them to do what I want them to do.

I'm a long time hair dresser and do custom nails....... And I do a really good job.... Darn it..... Really good!

Rather than expertise I fall into the category of "Jack of all trades and master of none"

Rafter S":3imuwv6x said:
M.Magis":3imuwv6x said:
Spent the last 18 years as a design engineer. Spend every day doing 2D design and 3D modeling. Not a lot of call for that in the cattle business, though I do model up projects like barns and working facilities. Gives me a good idea how things look and materials I need to buy.
Also spent quite a while doing taxidermy part time. Mostly deer heads, all mammals. Never got into birds or fish. Once the kids came I had to give it up.

3d modeling also, and creating drawings from the models, using SolidWorks. I just started that about 7 years ago after working at carpentry or some other form of construction most of the time before, though I've had other jobs ranging from assistant manager at a 60,000 square foot department store to beekeeper. Magis, what software do you use? SolidWorks is the only one I'm familiar with. I know just enough AutoCAD for it to p**s me off.

I've been working with cattle since I was a small boy, and while I don't claim to be an expert at anything, I think I'm pretty good at getting them to do what I want them to do.

After using Inventor, or Solid Works you begin to wonder why anyone would want to use AutoCAD? :hide: :nod: :lol2:

sim.-ang.king":1om3ii84 said:
Rafter S":1om3ii84 said:
M.Magis":1om3ii84 said:

After using Inventor, or Solid Works you begin to wonder why anyone would want to use AutoCAD? :hide: :nod: :lol2:

I agree. It's better than pencil and paper, but that's about all I can say for it.

Autocad was the standard where I worked, so that's what I learned.. I do fight with it a lot, but in the end I get it done.. I drafted up a bumper for my truck in 3D, friend of mine has a CNC plasma cutter, so it got cut out on that, another friend has a MIG with a spool gun, so he welded it.. it turned out really good and I get a lot of comments about it.. it's one-of-a-kind for sure.

I tried Solidworks, and I couldn't get it to do ANYTHING.. I guess I'm too stuck in my ways with Autocad to learn something easier!

When I turned 40 I had spent over 6000 days trawling for shrimp in the Gulf and South Atlantic. Usually 30 day trips, unload, get boat ready in a week and gone again. A man can train his body to function on a very minimum amount of sleep. I wasnt an "expert" but I loved it and was successful........but got very burned out so I hired a Captain, started a wholesale seafood business and sleep at night now. I can tell a few sea tales. The cows are just to keep me sane.

jedstivers":3s0tt34f said:
Expert on nothing and never had a job. I'm 47, any need in getting one now?
I don't think it's something I'd like.
Agh your just bragging now...you ain't been 47 in many moons!

jedstivers":1p57ohyi said:
Kingfisher":1p57ohyi said:
jedstivers":1p57ohyi said:
Expert on nothing and never had a job. I'm 47, any need in getting one now?
I don't think it's something I'd like.
Agh your just bragging now...you ain't been 47 in many moons!
Unless I messed a few years I am. I was born in 68.
Dam, I've got skivvies older than that!

Jed... I've had a number of jobs.. if you work for someone REALLY good.. you're just working WITH them, and that makes all the difference.. Working FOR someone is no fun and you ain't missed out on anything there

I've done a number of things, master of none, but I still say that makes me a well rounded individual and not a job quitter/add :lol2:

Was a:
Farmhand in my teens, early 20's. Would day-work during the summer after I helped my Grandpa get his crops laid by
Biomed tech in the Army (hospital equipment repair)
Mechanical/Electrical tech in a plastics factory
Electrical check-out crew member (ran diagnostics/continuity/megohmeter tests on newly installed lines prior to initial startup in a factory)
Truck shop hand (beat tires, parts changer, part time driver)
Dump truck driver
Went and got a civil/construction degree, with a surveying certificate from local two-year school, and currently working for a local engineering/surveying firm. My usual duties are to test materials both onsite and in the lab, go out on the boat when they are short handed to do hydro surveys, or land surveys.

All this over a period of 30 yrs. I liked the electrical work pretty good, but not the factory politics/BS. I ended up back outside, where I like it.

Retired Veterinarian. Spent 40 yrs small animal medicine/surgery. Last 15 years primarily small animal
surgery. Don't keep up with newest diseases/diagnostics, but feel have expertise in the basics of small
animal medicine and care. Glad to contribute/help anytime.

wlamarparmer":2wem9bzz said:
Retired Veterinarian. Spent 40 yrs small animal medicine/surgery. Last 15 years primarily small animal
surgery. Don't keep up with newest diseases/diagnostics, but feel have expertise in the basics of small
animal medicine and care. Glad to contribute/help anytime.

Yeah, you got expertise.

rollinhills":1ovwiu2w said:
I own/manage/work at welding construction company. We build a lot of grain handling systems, industrial mantainence, pipefitting and welding, have a fab shop also, currently building a grain system for a new bourbon distillery.

Always wanted to learn to weld. Maybe one day.

Latest posts