Are we getting soft?

Help Support CattleToday:

ibetyamissedme

Reaction score
Minnesotas number 1 hog producing county.
My state has called off school Monday because of cold. Never happened when I went to school. But back then we had 350 gassers for bus engines, and parents who smoked during basketball games in the gymnasium, cars with no seatbelts, pac boots, every neighbor had a snowblower and they all would come to help because of the party line telephones every body knew you were stuck in the snow bank. Gas was cheap you just left the vehicle running in the parking lot of any store or school, and then you plugged em in at night. Simpler back then.

Can't speak for others but ...... well..... here is my baby picture and you decide.

And no, I didn't have any confusion on my sexual orientation either.

Oh, and I had to walk uphill from and to school and had to swim the river. :lol2:

Sounds kind of ridiculous now, but I used to bust up the trail with a 16 pound Olympic grade shotput so all the lesser weaklings could get to school.

We were kind of 'rural' but not farmers... no one was going to dig out a mile of 6-ft deep snow with a tractor for us to reach the highway. Certainly not our dad, who was the original inspiration for the term 'deadbeat'.
So nearly every year we had an unscheduled 2 week holiday.
During which, we gathered snow in tin cans and melted it over the fire to drink, and because Mum insisted we still take weekly baths. That 'water' always had grit in it no matter how clean the snow looked.
The only good hill nearby was the farmer's manure pile.
I dragged my sisters and brother up that on a sledge.
They slipped all the way to the bottom on the darn thing then I had to drag them up again.
Then the year I was sixteen my school teacher told me I'd messed up my future because no-one could take 2 weeks off from the world and still get their exams and go to university :-(
So now I own enough cows to make an even bigger manure heap than our neighbour had.

Out here we have cooling centers open to the public anytime it gets over 100 degrees. I'm fine to go out and work in it to pay for it all but people that don't work can't get hot I guess. It is now LAW in CA that field crews have a cooling station when the temps are over a certain mark. You drive by an orange grove and see a tent set up in the sun on the side of the road with nobody under it while the workers eat lunch sitting in the dense shade under the same trees they were just picking. :bang: At least THEY still have common sense.
This year we had a freeze event that lasted for quite a while and now we have warming centers. Again, nevermind that I can go out and work in it in short sleeves to pay for it all and get by just fine.

john250":14ihkfag said:
I walked 5 miles to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways.
Must have been a law back then about building no closer than 5 miles to a school bldg. I had to do the same thing but with no snow. Had to fight rattlesnakes, scorpions and indians.

Things are so "Politically Correct" and no one can be "put out" heaven forbid our kids have to "suffer" in anything close to what we did... we had all the stuff mentioned AND asbestos and lead paint and a bunch of other stuff that is now "deemed" unsafe.. I am at the point that nothing is bad for use and its just the government trying to make things harder on the average person. Example: The EPA said that R12 was bad for the 'ozone layer'.. they required recovery units and banned it from being made and now we have R134a in its place. fast forward about 5 yrs and all of the sudden R12 ISN"T bad for the "OL" but still cant make it and not one person who was fined for not having a 5K recovery unit was reimbursed.. thats not the government way... They will regulate us to death and make us pay ungodly amounts of money to suit some idiots idea of what is good or bad for us.. and that's how things have gone down hill and will continue to do so only because the majority of people in the "higher ups" only want the money... and could care less about the people their "ideas" hurt us down here :(

I think we certainly try to not have any discomfort among people anymore. I see a big difference between dangerous and a discomfort.

It is expected to be below zero here over the weekend, and my dad was talking about how he slept at his grandfather's old farmhouse when he was a kid; the bedroom had no heat, and it was 0 outside. He said he just bundled up with a lot of cover and made it ok. I've also heard him talk of sleeping in the upstairs of the farmhouse where he grew up with no air conditioning in the hot summers.

These days, if someone is without heat or air for a while, it's considered an emergency.

Latest posts