Are these warts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullseye

Reaction score
I've been intending to write a message asking about warts for a month now and since I saw a thread of warts messages today, here goes...

One of my heifers has a lump (shown directly below) which I think is a wart but it's very different from the warts I've seen on my cattle before. The lump is located 10 cm (4") below the eye - doesn't seem to bother her. It is much larger and doesn't really have the very lumpy, fibrous texture of what I know to be warts. But, it is starting to develop a rough texture.

lump_large.jpg

The picture below shows a small lump (1/4") located on her back and has been there for many months not changed in size nor texture. Although you can't see it very well, it is smooth, slightly transluscent and not lumpy and fibrous like the warts my cattle normally get. This small lump is what the large lump, below the eye, started out like. But the lump below the eye changed and has grown to the size you can see in about 2 months.

lump_small.jpg

Can someone please tell me are these also warts? There is another lump just starting to develop in the corner of the other eye which I'm sure will be irritating so I'll need to attend to it, whatever it is...???

Many thanks!

I've worked with horses that had sarcoids that looked like that. I don't know if cattle get sarcoids. Those pics don't look quite like any warts I've ever seen.
Have you taken any scrapings/tissue samples from them for analysis?

Katherine

I just don't think it's a wart maybe it's some alien being that is fixing to pop out and start terrorizng planet earth. Kill all the baby calves or something..?

That is not a wart. It is a grub from the heal fly. Dont worry about it, you might try squeezing it much like you would a pimple.

ccfranklin":12epe0zl said:
That is not a wart. It is a grub from the heal fly. Dont worry about it, you might try squeezing it much like you would a pimple.
I agree that a smooth pimple like thing on the back could be a grub - but they're talking two around the EYES - not grubs there! And a grub bump would burst open on it's own way before a couple of months.

Hello,

Thanks for all your input :) I'd still like to hear of anymore opinions that anyone of you may have.

Since your responses so far, I called a vet and emailed those images, she will arrive tomorrow to take samples. Will just have to wait until then. I hate waiting...

In the mean time, I put all my heifers (I only have heifers at the moment) in a small yard with some lucerne, to have a good look over them. Only one other heifer would let me run my hand over her. These other cattle haven't been on the property very long, i.e not comfortable with me, except the one I've taken images of is like a pet.

I did find a few of the same lumps on one other heifer. The hair is longer on this breed so any lumps can only be found by running a hand through the coat. The other heifers, I can't get near to check them. But I bet they also have the lumps. Both animals that have these lumps are totally different breeds, the other is very short haired as can be seen in the images.

I'm wondering if the cause is somehow related to transmission by insect...???

By for now...

Bullseye":3iw5ad3c said:
I called a vet and emailed those images, she will arrive tomorrow to take samples. Will just have to wait until then.

Keep us posted as to what the vet's opinion is as well as the results of the samples. I'm curious to know what they might be. Thanks.

Katherine

The Vet checked out my heifer, she said, "the news is good, nothing serious, nothing to even worry about and your heifer looks in great condition".

Here is she...
scout.jpg

She said, the lump is a type of wart, a flat smooth wart. Also, like most warts, she said, will either drop off or with this type shrink back into the body. Mostlikey all that will show after it has gone is a change in the hair colour to grey/white.

All of the other heifers have the same type of wart, indicating the spread of disease by its conatagious nature, probably by flies or the cattle rubbing against each other.

If you click
HERE
the URL will show four different wart types.

The flat type can also be found almost anyware on the body.

I have read that cattle on a high plain of nutrition often get more warts so I asked the Vet about this.

She said the reason why good healthy well fed cattle, such as stud animals, sometimes get warts when non stud cattle at the same property in not so good condition don't, is the immune system of well fed healthy animals is probably not as active as animals doing it a bit tough.

So there ya go, some info on warts...

Cheerio!

Thanks for the update.
SURELY that is not a recent picture, please say it isn't - I'm going to cry - look at that grass!!!
We should be frozen with "feet" of snow. Presently, was 42 this am & is POURING - mud up the ying yang!! Quite challenging to haul two 1400# bales of baleage out to the cows (without a 4-wheel drive tractor) at a time.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2fgymzf1 said:
Thanks for the update.
SURELY that is not a recent picture, please say it isn't - I'm going to cry - look at that grass!!!
We should be frozen with "feet" of snow. Presently, was 42 this am & is POURING - mud up the ying yang!! Quite challenging to haul two 1400# bales of baleage out to the cows (without a 4-wheel drive tractor) at a time.

Gday Jeanne,

Uhuh, that is a recent picture, and I had to slash that paddock (stop weeds seeding) a few weeks before letting the cattle in there. :)

I really wish we had your rain! Some cool weather would be a relief too.

It's been a hot, humid, summer here on the subtropical coast of Queensland (Aust), without much rain. There is only 1 ft of water in our dams and the outlook this month for good dam filling rain isn't good either. Evaporation is sucking the water out of the dams faster than showers fill them. At least we keep getting light showers which is good for the grass. Here's the state of our feed situation, sorry I don't mean to make you weep ;-)

pasture.jpg

Bullseye":3nu6fgdj said:
The Vet checked out my heifer, she said, "the news is good, nothing serious, nothing to even worry about and your heifer looks in great condition".

She said, the lump is a type of wart, a flat smooth wart. Also, like most warts, she said, will either drop off or with this type shrink back into the body.

Gday,

Just called by to followup on the lump that turned out to be a wart. After a really good look over the heifer I found several more of these unusual warts. A week ago they really seemed to increase in size but what was happening was the body seemed to be ejecting them. All of a sudden they just dropped off.

As they say all's well that ends well :D