Arched back when AI-ing question

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I have AI-ed a cow today that just would not stand in any other way than with an extremely arched back, which made AI almost impossible. Any suggestions on how to get her to stand normal when my arm is inside her? All the usual stuff like scratching behind the crops, etc didn't work at all. It is her third breeding season, the previous two breeding seasons I did not have the same problem with her and she settled on both occasions with the first service.

also, how long can you keep trying to get the pistolette(spelling?) through the servix and still have decent chance to get her bred?

KNERSIE":25byo9hw said:
I have AI-ed a cow today that just would not stand in any other way than with an extremely arched back, which made AI almost impossible. Any suggestions on how to get her to stand normal when my arm is inside her? All the usual stuff like scratching behind the crops, etc didn't work at all. It is her third breeding season, the previous two breeding seasons I did not have the same problem with her and she settled on both occasions with the first service.

also, how long can you keep trying to get the pistolette(spelling?) through the servix and still have decent chance to get her bred?

Some cows relax, some don't. You tried massaging the colon I would assume.
I've had some that I was in for 10 minutes at least, seemed like a couple of hours, they still settled. I've foundnow that I'm having to take 5-6 minutes inside a cow when I used to only be in there a minute or 2, they've still settling. Not much help, but that's the way AI works sometimes.

dun

k dun we had a cow abort and right after she arched her back and has been archeed back ever since any reason?

glover36":2s65z48n said:
k dun we had a cow abort and right after she arched her back and has been archeed back ever since any reason?

Depends on how long ago. But generally it would be because she's still tring to pass omething. May not be anything there, but she thinks there is.
Check your pm

Was your AI gun inserted while she was arching? If so you may have been in the ureathera(sp?) instead of the vagina.

If I had read a similar post I would have thought exactly the same, but I was definately not in the uretha...took the gun out just to make sure, but the gun was inserted at the correct angle the first time and I made double sure the second time. AI-ed another two cows today without any problem.

What would be the absolute youngest you would use a bull for cleaning up after the AI. I know it's never wise to use a bull too young, but i only want to clean up on 10 heifers after giving them 2 chances with AI. I would be surprized if I don't get all of them to settle on AI, but just in case. BTW the bull will be 11 months old when I plan to turn him out with the heifers. What would be your thoughts on this?

KNERSIE":2j7xtjwt said:
If I had read a similar post I would have thought exactly the same, but I was definately not in the uretha...took the gun out just to make sure, but the gun was inserted at the correct angle the first time and I made double sure the second time. AI-ed another two cows today without any problem.

What would be the absolute youngest you would use a bull for cleaning up after the AI. I know it's never wise to use a bull too young, but i only want to clean up on 10 heifers after giving them 2 chances with AI. I would be surprized if I don't get all of them to settle on AI, but just in case. BTW the bull will be 11 months old when I plan to turn him out with the heifers. What would be your thoughts on this?

If he is big enough for his age and passed the semen test he should be ok.

Latest posts