Arched back cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Herford×Angus

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Havn' t been posting much yet since I joined but I have been on here quite a bit . I have a couple of cows that have an arched spine, looks like they have a large inflated ball in them lol. They are about 8 months bred it's about 10 out of 130 cows that look like this. They look healthy and behave like the rest of them. Any ideas why they are like that?
Was gonna post a couple of pics but it seems I don't know how to do that anymore.

Upload your pics to a photo storage site like tinypic.com. Then just copy the message board link and paste it here.
I'd like to see what it is.

I'd like to see pics too. Had a couple cows at maturity develop arched/roached spines. Like scoliosis in reverse. Never passed it to their calves so concluded it was due to injury and/or the stress & strain of very steep and rugged environment.

ih61wz.jpg

I think that worked. I saw some like that last year too. It seemed to go away once they calved and went on pasture. So I'm wondering if it's some deficiency in my winter feeding, genetic or if they are just to full, they look like balloons this time of year. They are getting 46 pounds of hay/straw in this cold weather longest cold snap since the 1930s!! :frowns:

that is kinda weird.. though well.. as long as they're moving and eating I'd just keep an eye on them.. I'd probably send the pic to my vet as well

Kind of what I was thinking too but i figured i would ask and see if someone had seen that before. The one in the pic is gonna have her 3rd calf, not a great looking cow but weaned a 710pound heifer calf last year at 215 days

The one in the pic is gonna have her 3rd calf, not a great looking cow but weaned a 710pound heifer calf last year at 215 days
I'd pay attention to her attempt to educate you about your notions of what constitutes a great looking cow. :roll:

I actually like that cow but I do have better looking ones ;-) . Last year I sold a few of my best looking cows because they where 1800+ pounds and weaned a under 600 pound calf. My best cow last year was a 1400 pound angus cow (has a arched back too slightly worst then the one i posted) that had a hereford×calf. Born April 16 and weaned Oct 14 weighed 784 pounds no creep.

Latest posts