Apache Arrowleaf Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

edrsimms

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience growing this variety of clover in the southern states (TX to SC)? I would like to know about planting practices, grazing ADG's, hay yeilds and any other pertinent facts. I dont really need extension information, but instead hear about it from a grower/ rancher. Thanks for your help in advance.

I planted some in the fall. It sprouted and we went into drought. I lost at least 90% of it. The native burr was also affected but only lost maybe 10%. The native is still out doing the arrow leaf plant for plant. If we had more rain that might change.
Next year I will mow short and give the native more advantage. I will take the seed money and spend it on phosphorous, and not waste any more money on the arrow leaf.
If you already have native clover there is no advantage in bring in any other. Clover is a pain in the tail to bale in Texas humidity. By the time the stem is dry enough the leaves chatter and are on the ground. You are far better off grazing it or using it to add N to the soil. If you bale it you are hauling the nitrogen off the ground and distributing it somewhere else.

I got some a few years ago by accident. Don't know where it came from but I watched it grow for a couple of years and was impressed with its heat and drought tolerance. So this fall I drilled some over a couple of pastures. Its looking really good and I'm impressed with the growth and the amount of forage its produced.