Anyone w/ experience w/ frozen hooves on valuable calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoof / stump is still holding up well.

We will be breeding her again here shortly for a full sibling to one of the embryos she gave us 15 months ago that's due to hit the ground any day.

Yesterday, she calved another beautiful heifer. :)

Unfortunately, she's carrying a reasonable amount of excess condition and she had a uterine prolapse as a result of calving ... so, she's done carrying pregnancies. We're going to try to get some more embryos from her in a couple of months and go from there. Once that's done, it'll probably be the end of the road for her ... :(

WalnutCrest":3ng7r96y said:
Yesterday, she calved another beautiful heifer. :)

Unfortunately, she's carrying a reasonable amount of excess condition and she had a uterine prolapse as a result of calving ... so, she's done carrying pregnancies. We're going to try to get some more embryos from her in a couple of months and go from there. Once that's done, it'll probably be the end of the road for her ... :(

This is a great story, I just read it. Congratulations on everything you have done. She is a great looking animal making great looking calves. I don't know anything about that breed, but if not for the dark nose and eyes I would have thought them to be Blondes.
Also, wondering why the uterine prolapse will finish her calving career.

OH NO, is the prolapse that bad? We put alot of them back in dairy cows and they go on to carry again. Maybe you'll be able to get some eggs and/or embryo's.....
You know she is the reason I am using some of the Aubrac semen on mine.... will be preg cking hfrs in about 2 weeks.... have 1 confirmed out of 3 on the cows ; but it could have been "operator error" since I was kinda rusty from not doing any AI for several years. I was kinda disappointed, but have one more young cow ( 1st calf heifer) to check, then the heifers. Hopefully the heifers will be better.

Begonia is at our partner's farm. They're responsible for her maintenance and care. Both are large animal vets. They made the call. I have no reason to question their assessment.

Here she is right after birth in our partner's old barn ...

And here she is a couple of hours later (it was 14 below, iirc, the day she was born and our partner thought this was a good idea):

Within 24hrs, the calf had kicked off the coat three times and it'd been put back on twice.

The third time, mama buried it in hay and then took a crap on it. I think that was a strong "no" vote! Ha!

I knew she had been at the farm where the vets were taking care of her. Didn't realize she was still there. Yeah, they should know. After all they have done for/with her. What a shame.

I would try and breed her again! She might never have a problem like that again

And today was a sad day... I have zero idea what happened, but she had a full vaginal and intestinal prolapse and she's now hanging at the butcher. She might have slipped, fell and got stepped on by a bunch of other cows...just don't know.

Her two month old heifer is doing great, though!

We have two heifer calves on the ground, two (maybe three) embryos that stuck and are due any day, plus another 8 (?) embryos in the tank. We also own the factory (her mama and her sire, in our tank) and so might try to make more down the road.

Thanks to everyone for following her story. :)

Maybe we'll update it from time to time as her daughters do something pretty cool...

Right now, her mama and one of her daughters is in my yard and another daughter is in Iowa (at our partners' place), a full sister is just outside of Denver ... we'll see where this continues to go.

Latest posts