Anyone on here live near/travel to San Francisco?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I knew my mother's birth father died in SF of pneumonia when she was 5 in the early 30's, which was after the big earthquake. She has letters from him to her mother that talk about the quake. I did not know until this last weekend that he was a veteran, and is buried at or near the Presidio. I can find out the exact location--Mom knows. She has done some geneology stuff, but she does not have a picture of her father's grave/head stone, or any information from that cemetery.

I could call ahead for written stuff. I want a picture for her (and maybe the cemetery could do that, too . . . . I haven't checked that far). Just asking here first. Thx! :D

Wish I could help you, thats an amazing idea bet she will love it!

Well, I did some of my own snooping, and I'm not sure Mom has her info right -- or maybe she has the right info, but didn't recall it correctly, because I can't find that grandpa in the Presidio cemetery records. I e-mailed her to double-check her records. I think he's resting near L.A. :?:

Try this: findagrave.com

My wife found this website and through it found her great, great, great grandpa's headstone at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. He died a Union Soldier during the Civil War at a St. Louis Army Hospital and was buried there.

Good Luck

My brother used to live near SF and is buried at San Joaquin National Cemetary so I know a little about the area. Beautiful country. I changed planes at LAX one time many years ago. Saw Robin Williams there as a matter of fact. Other than that I don't know the first thing about LA. Wish I could help.

Thanks, Van. After checking on-line with US Dept. of Veterans Affairs, via their Nationwide Graveside Locator, I'm sure he's resting at Los Angeles National Cemetery. I've put an inquiry in on their web site, so see if they have additional info, a picture, etc. Can't believe Mom never checked about his burial site, although she's done much other geneology (sp?) research and found/met with distant cousins in Kansas City several years ago! Maybe she only wants to go "so deep . . . " ?

MosesR":1ue40jko said:
Try this: findagrave.com

My wife found this website and through it found her great, great, great grandpa's headstone at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery. He died a Union Soldier during the Civil War at a St. Louis Army Hospital and was buried there.

Good Luck
Moses, that's an amazing story -- getting info clear back into the Civil War, when, often, nobody knew what happened to their people. :) I have some published, but probably not much circulated, CW info (Conf.) that gives very basic info for just about any Conf. troop that was ever mentioned in any records, and I promised some people here to try to find some info for them . . . . but am still looking for Vol I -- it's here somewhere . . . . :(

Yes Ma'am. My wife's step father traced her family name all the way back to the 1600s. He put together binder for Christmas this year that must be 3" thick. Turns out one of her ancestors was a business partner with Ben Franklin in the manufacturing of parchment and a printing company. She had relative who fought in the Revolutionary war also.

A family member traced back on the paternal grandfather's family. They went clear back into the late 1400's. One of the old timers was listed; his name (I can remember right now), had 6 cows and 4 children. Cows were listed before the kids.

Latest posts