Anyone on Earth got a Massey Ferguson square baler

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know of anyone except me who has a Massey Ferguson square baler. I have a MF 120.

Have you baled much with it so far and do you know where to find parts if needed. I baled about 200 squares with mine last year and broke a bill hook. I finally found one and wonder on the availability of parts. Thanks.

I haven't used it yet. Planning on doing so second cutting. Parts should still be available through your Massey Ferguson dealer I would think.

I bought a bill hook to the tune of $306 and they said the knotting assembly was obsolete. I think you can still get most parts though. If I keep it I would like to find another that someone is parting out. The tying mechs seem fairly simple and hopefully all will go well today as I plan to bale some and see.

How much difference is there in knotters from different companies? always wondered if you could use different parts from different companies.

Jeff

rc, I just took my NH 273 to the scape yard after it almost broke in half and who know how many bales and how many years. It was just beyond repair. I think I still have pair of bill hooks for it in the barn. Don't know if they would fit a MF or not. Way back when the thing was out of time we kept breaking bill hooks on occassion. We finally started taking them to a welding shop that welds cast iron. He welded them up, we fixed the timing and never broke another one. I think the two I have in the barn have been weld repaired also.

You may want to find someone in your area that can weld cast iron. They even have special rods for welding cast iron now.

Go over the timing really close and I think you won't break anymore. Heck the knotters on my old 273 would not adjust to specifications so I had to use a pipe wrench and a big hammer to get them right. After that, that old worn out baler never missed a knot for years.

Don't mean to be a smarty pants, but I think there is some confusion. Bill hooks are little bird beak looking jewels that do the tying. The cast iron pairs that you have welded up in your barn are more than likely needles. It would take a brain surgeon to weld a bill hook.

dyates":270whhdo said:
Don't mean to be a smarty pants, but I think there is some confusion. Bill hooks are little bird beak looking jewels that do the tying. The cast iron pairs that you have welded up in your barn are more than likely needles. It would take a brain surgeon to weld a bill hook.

I stand corrected. You are absolutely right. I guess I just put broken and knotters together and was thinking needles. I may have a compete set of knotters with bill hooks for a NH 273 but I have no idea if they are even close to a MF baler.

Yep you described the bill hook exactly. I have a little tip broken also on the twine disc that may be causing it not to tie. I tell you I am about ready to stop the bleeding on this. I priced an International 530 this morning and am considering it strongly. John Deere doesn't have any available in this area until October...they must be selling well. Does any one know much about the International?

Rc,

I was in your position last year with an old 532 baler. Came down to no parts available for a broken shaft I had. I stopped at an ol house to ask about a 532 I saw in a fencerow, when me and a pitt bull had a go of it. Alot of yelping and whining after that (I guess the dog made some noise too....). I said enough was enough and went to the bank, took out my wife's retirement account money, and went to the nearest dealer. Ended up getting a heston inline baler that has missed one tie in 1500 bales (missed another when the twine ran out...). I couldn't be happier. Of course the wife retires in about 9 years...... I have a feeling I won't be happy then.

Sometimes fighting the good fight ain't enough with worn out balers.

Brad

Latest posts