Anyone have a JD450 or CAT D3?

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a 550 Jd never had a 3 always too small for what I wanted
the 550 was a good little finish machine but I prefer a Komatsu over the JD and probably over the Cat also in that size of machine

a Komatsu in that size would be either a D31 or a D39 I would prefer the 39

I had a TD 7 and a D 3 a while back. Both were about the same age. The TD 7 was so superior to the Cat that it was almost unbelievable. I had mistakenly thought that Cat would have the dozer situation all figured out. But, they didn't. The Cat just felt clumsy and slow.

If I was buying now, I'd be looking at Komatsu for sure.

Red Bull Breeder":34lua2zz said:
I think the 39 is a dressed up TD8 international.
The 39 is comparable to the size of a TD7 but IMO they are a better machine with faster hydraulics
and I love the controls on Komatsu
did your 7 have the hi and Lo on it buddy had a 17 or 19 can't remember which that had the hi lo on it I love pushing scrapers with it or working side slopes cause you could run 1 track in Hi and 1 in Low worked great on slopes

I had a TD8E. Ain't never seen a machine with faster hydraulics on the blade. You could shake the tilt back a forth and make the blade shake like a wet dog. Best little finish dozer i have ever run. I didn't have the hi lo. I have won money with it rolling beer cans across a gravel parking lot with the blade. Komatsu builds one that is exactly the same as the TD7 and 8's.

I had a jd 450. I used it to remove stumps out of our overgrown christmas tree fields. It worked very well. It had plenty of power for me to level land and anything else I needed it to do. There are alot of these around at reasonable prices. I think if your day job is running a fancy new dozer you might think its too small but for farm applications I think its a perfect size. The only problem I had was once all the major projects were completed it just sat there alot. I ended up trading it for a skidsteer that I use much more.
scott

I've found a JD450C that had a new under 800 hours ago. A complete engine rebuild 1,300 hrs ago. Complete Trans rebuild including a new case 600 hrs ago. With Winch, Brush Rake and Guards. For $21,500. For my application, I can see it working for years before it gets a rest. I have a lot of trees and almost no roads. Sound reasonable?

IMO, you have more acres than I would want to work with the JD450. You can buy a Cat 955L for less money. There are plenty of things you can do on the farm that will give a better return than sitting on the machine day after day. Little machines can do small jobs just fine. Big machines can do the small jobs fine and can do the big jobs also. I like owning and operating a machine and improving a property because as the owner you can do the tasks to suit yourself. Regardless of what the machine costs there are expenses with earth moving equipment that often exceed those of farm machinery. Be prepared to incur these expenses from time to time. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

I paid and sold my 450 for $12500. It had low hours and under carriage was in excellent shape. It also had a massive root rake on it. I think $21500 is a bit high and would keep looking.
scott

After a little research I found a lot of recommendations for regular wheel type tractors mentioned. These will help with my next purchase.

As for the Dozers listed, great help. Looks like what I was first offered wasn't such a good deal.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts