Anyone got a 6.4 Ford

Help Support CattleToday:

You will be hard pressed to get your 6.4 to hold up any better than his D-Max. My son is friends with the owner of Pela Motorsports and he specializes in D-Max. I don't think the head bolts can handle 500+ for long in a Ford, you will have a blown head gasket if you use the power. He drives his truck daily, tows a dozer, backhoe or whatever needs towed. Transmission is built with Sun Coast parts and he races the truck all the time. When you get ready he will run you in the 8th. the 1/4 or top end. Dependability is what a good truck is all about.

highgrit":1x4463jf said:
You will be hard pressed to get your 6.4 to hold up any better than his D-Max. My son is friends with the owner of Pela Motorsports and he specializes in D-Max. I don't think the head bolts can handle 500+ for long in a Ford, you will have a blown head gasket if you use the power. He drives his truck daily, tows a dozer, backhoe or whatever needs towed. Transmission is built with Sun Coast parts and he races the truck all the time. When you get ready he will run you in the 8th. the 1/4 or top end. Dependability is what a good truck is all about.

I didn't buy this truck for racing I bought it for towing cattle and farm work.

Calhoun Farm":2i4oc6a4 said:
chippie":2i4oc6a4 said:
I am sorry to say this, but the 2008 Ford diesel trucks are not reliable. They break down when they are out of warranty. My husband's employer had 2008 for the employees and his broke down last fall while on the road (he pulls a heavy trailer). His wasn't the only one, several other instructor's trucks had to be replaced too.
One hassle with the trucks is that they have to remove the entire cab to work on the engine.

It was not fun being 100 miles from home with a cow in the trailer when the engine started it's be nice. Boy was I happy that we were able to limp home.

Alot of this has to do with if the emissions equipment is left on, when these trucks regen to clean dpf they inject raw fuel in #7 and #8 cylinders. It gets heated up and shots (basically flames) out of the smaller turbo into the exhaust pipe to burn off the soot. To come out say all 2008 trucks are not reliable is a ignorant statement, it all has to do with how the trucks are maintained and if they are idled alot. During regen diesel will slip past the rings and into the crankcase, ford recommends oil changes at 10k miles. Anyone with basic knowledge of an engine knows to not wait that long to change oil. When you delete the emissions, regens stop for good. That's why fuel mileage and reliablity goes up when you do. Too many variables to make a blanket statement like that. The 09/10 trucks also have the 6.4 as well not just 2008.

OK, I am ignorant, but seeing so many that were used daily having assorted expensive problems is a good enough reason for me not to want one. The cost to repair my husband's truck was over $4k.
We change the oil in our trucks religiously. One of our personal trucks is a 2000 Ford F250 diesel with over 397,000 miles. I post a pic several years ago when it rolled over 300,000.

Something else. If a truck is still under warranty (less than 100K) you had better not go messing with removing stuff and changing things up. You will void your warranty.

The truck that died had about 125,000 on it.

Fords powertrain ends at 60k not 100k. I also didn't call you ignorant, I said your statement was. I don't know your trucks same as you don't know mine so saying all 6.4's are unreliable is not true.

highgrit":1gle1jyj said:
Good luck with your truck. Never cared for a short bed myself.

Me neither, my truck has a tool box/aux tank combo and I already feel like its cramped.

chippie":2z52ju04 said:
Calhoun Farm":2z52ju04 said:
chippie":2z52ju04 said:
I am sorry to say this, but the 2008 Ford diesel trucks are not reliable. They break down when they are out of warranty. My husband's employer had 2008 for the employees and his broke down last fall while on the road (he pulls a heavy trailer). His wasn't the only one, several other instructor's trucks had to be replaced too.
One hassle with the trucks is that they have to remove the entire cab to work on the engine.

It was not fun being 100 miles from home with a cow in the trailer when the engine started it's be nice. Boy was I happy that we were able to limp home.

Alot of this has to do with if the emissions equipment is left on, when these trucks regen to clean dpf they inject raw fuel in #7 and #8 cylinders. It gets heated up and shots (basically flames) out of the smaller turbo into the exhaust pipe to burn off the soot. To come out say all 2008 trucks are not reliable is a ignorant statement, it all has to do with how the trucks are maintained and if they are idled alot. During regen diesel will slip past the rings and into the crankcase, ford recommends oil changes at 10k miles. Anyone with basic knowledge of an engine knows to not wait that long to change oil. When you delete the emissions, regens stop for good. That's why fuel mileage and reliablity goes up when you do. Too many variables to make a blanket statement like that. The 09/10 trucks also have the 6.4 as well not just 2008.

OK, I am ignorant, but seeing so many that were used daily having assorted expensive problems is a good enough reason for me not to want one. The cost to repair my husband's truck was over $4k.
We change the oil in our trucks religiously. One of our personal trucks is a 2000 Ford F250 diesel with over 397,000 miles. I post a pic several years ago when it rolled over 300,000.

Something else. If a truck is still under warranty (less than 100K) you had better not go messing with removing stuff and changing things up. You will void your warranty.

The truck that died had about 125,000 on it.

It is real easy to spend $4k or much more ($23k for a new engine on a ford 6.7) on any of the newer diesels. He got off cheap if that is all it took to fix it.

I have a 08 6.4 love it . Strong truck thats gets used hard everyday. I deleted the emissions stuff and tuned around 100k . Dpf delete, SCT Livewire tuner - I leave on the tow tune 100% of the time , S&B cold air intake , Egr turned off with tuner and block off plates . I'm at around 150k miles now. Get from 11.5mpg - 14.5mpg hand calculated. I follow severe maintenance changing oil every 3,000 miles. -- Bought the truck brand new and I'm on my second radiator (leaky) and will need another soon - leaking again . Besides the rads that's about it . I have to drain the water separator on a regular basis

TN only has like 4 counties that do emissions testing. I don't live in one of them so its not an issue. I've heard of guys passing emissions with all that stuff removed. Just depends on the technician doing the testing.

Latest posts