Anyone cutting hay now?

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
We are still planning on gettting one more, although sparse, cutting this year. Hopeing to start next week. I am figuring on a day or two longer drying time, 3-4 days total. As long as no rain hits it do you figure that will be adequite in 70 degree weather.

sidney411":2d397qsf said:
We are still planning on gettting one more, although sparse, cutting this year. Hopeing to start next week. I am figuring on a day or two longer drying time, 3-4 days total. As long as no rain hits it do you figure that will be adequite in 70 degree weather.

Depends on how thick it is Sid I have seen it take up to a week to dry this time of year. I have also cut hay as late as the middle of Nov. I baled last week and have a couple more fields that we just turned the cows in on had plenty of hay.

sidney411":1lld82hq said:

I baled about 60 4*5 rounds last week, in 4 days, at a high temp of 69 F. It wouldn't store a whole long time, but I'll feed all of it before there is significant spoilage. I tedded it once.

sidney411":mbsz7x8d said:
I baled about 1500 small squares last weekend in low 60 degree temps with below freezing at night - was over mature first cutting brome, seems to be the only thing I can still bale this late. We are getting snow and really cold temps now, this may be it except for the canary grass I plan on baling for bedding.

Ray

I cut some johnson grass today. My main concern is the lack of nutritional value this late in the season. There is such a hay shortage around here though beggers cant be choosers.

We have a 15 acre pasture of Jiggs that we'll likely cut this coming Monday.

Nutrional value is o.k., since it's fertilized and is 6 weeks since last cutting.

Only problem with October is that the weather may slow you down. Got in the mid '80s today, not a cloud in the sky. You catch a couple of days like that and your in business.

I've got about 50 rolls or so down, last for the year. Might clip a couple of the fields with nice regrowth to square and sell to the horse nuts in the area. Finally got enough to do me, would be nice to offset some of the extra costs from this summer.

cfpinz

hauling hay tommorow about 100 bales short round bales :shock: but you have to take what you can get this year

Hay is done here.

South of Buffalo New york. High temps in the 40's and a freak October snow storm to cap off the last month and a half of almost constant rain.
I did get 4 good days last week to finally get some hay off the fields.
It didn't get dry so wont store but I'll just feed it out.

Baled the last of mine this past week. One cutting only this year due to lack of rain. I still need to cut and bale some for a neighbor but that's about it.

we have baled hat as late as thanksgiving day.so you can bale hay anytime of yr/if you can get it to cure.

Well, we got about 5-6 inches of rain and I'm looking for at least 5 days of 30% or less rain chance to go ahead and cut the rest of the hay. Not in the next 10 days.

We got 5 inches of rain day before yesterday, and another 4 inches yesterday afternoon and thru the night last night. Uhgggg, love the rain, we needed it desperately....but it sure would have helped if it'd come a lil more spread out durin the summer LOL
We have one hayfield that we can bale if the weather clears and stays warm and dry a few days. Then we'd planned on cutting a neighbors 33 acre pasture......it's kinda trashy, but we are so short on hay we'll take what we can get, and have the agreement that once we bale it, we can keep on baling it next year. That should put us back up to normal amount of hay even if it is a dry year......
But looks like we are in for a wet winter for sure.

Every one around here (Caldwell County) that has a hay field is hooked up and rolling. I was afraid there for a few days that the grass growing season was over. We had some night that it got down into the upper 40s and only up into the 60s during the day but it looks like the next ten days are going to be back in the upper 70s and 80s. Maybe the ground temp. didn't drop to much and we dodged the bullet.Z

We have people still cutting and baling here in NW WI, well after out first frost. We had a long dry period over the summer (not as bad as those down south) and it knocked the 3rd cutting back. Most were just going to let it go til spring, but alot of it has started to lodge, so cutting has been the way to go. I see many of these round bales being wrapped after a very short drying period time.

I bought 40 of these wrapped bales, and have been very happy with the product. Feeding the bales that are testing about 100 RVF right now, and will switch to higher value bales as we enter the thrid trimester.

Well, we cut some down yesterday. Tedder today. Hopefully bale before the rain comes Thursday. It's pretty thin, so it should dry quickly.

sidney411":16a6p193 said:
Well, we cut some down yesterday. Tedder today. Hopefully bale before the rain comes Thursday. It's pretty thin, so it should dry quickly.

They're talking about 50% for tomorrow here. Good luck.Z

I'm getting ready to rake some mixed grass hay that has
been down for a week. It got a couple of good wettings
since it was mowed so the quality is probably zero. We
need to get it off the field so it wont damage the grass
stand. We will let the cows play in it this winter...it will
give them a soft bed for a week or two. There's one
more small 10 acre field to go. If the weather clears,
we will mow it. If not...well, most of it will be there next
year.

Latest posts